Pup suggestions for Jackson PC-1

• 8 Replies

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
Pup suggestions for Jackson PC-1
« on: July 14, 2015, 08:26:15 PM »
I went and did it. I found a smoking deal on another PC-1.

While there is nothing "wrong" with the Super 3 bridge and HS-2 middle, I've always wanted to get another PC-1 for the intent to gut all the sustainer circuitry and fill it up with all passive pickups.

I'd leave the 2 mini toggles for series/parallel or series/split/parallel for the middle and neck.

What do you guys think would make for a nice versatile set for such a guitar?  Maple top. Mahogany back. Maple neck. Maple board. German FR.

If I were interested in another brand, is consider a Hot Rail neck or a Little 59 neck. For the middle, it could be a JB Jr bridge or a Little 59 bridge.

Ideas?
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline JohnnyGtar

• View Profile
Re: Pup suggestions for Jackson PC-1
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 09:24:29 PM »
What kinds of music will you play on this guitar? Congrats on getting another PC-1, by the way!
Area 58, Area 61, Area 67, HS-2, HS-3, Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues, Fast Track 1, Air Classic neck, Air Norton, Air Zone, Al DiMeola bridge, Bluesbucker, Breed neck, Double Whammy, EVO 2, Evolution neck, Evolution bridge, FRED, MegaDrive, Norton, Super2, Super 3, Super Distortion, Tone Zone, X2N

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 05:06:26 AM »
There are a bunch of great choices I can think of if you want versatility; for example why not go for the Transition set with a VV 54 Pro or Area 58/67 in the middle?

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 06:32:08 PM »
JohnnyGtr, looking for something versatile enough for all types of rock. The 2 switches will be handy to switch any full or single-sized hums for series to parallel/split.

Jazzfromhell, it's a H/S/S design. I'd like to shoot for a single-size hum in the middle. I, not at all familiar with the DiMarzio "rails" or stacked/noiseless single coils...so I'm out of element.

Offline JohnnyGtar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 11:58:52 PM »
Hmmm... Well, the cool thing is DiMarzio has a great exchange policy, so if you don't like a certain pickup, you have 30 days to swap it out. I think they only do this once, but not sure.

If you like high output:

Fast Track 2 in the neck (Series/Parallel wiring.) Neal Schon uses one in the neck position on his PRS.
Area 61 Middle or  Cruiser bridge model if you like to drop the middle pickup out of the way of your picking hand.
Illuminator, Air Zone, EVO2 or Titan Bridge (Series/Parallel wiring.)

If you like lower output:

Virtual Vintage Blues neck or Chopper if you want blades. (Series/Parallel wiring.)
(VVBlues in the neck in parallel makes for a gorgeous acoustic-ish tone in the neck.)
Area 58 middle or VV Heavy blues in you like to drop the middle pickup out of the way of your picking hand.
Fred, Mo Joe, or Air Norton bridge. (Series/Parallel wiring.)

AND, I'd wire up one of the pots for a "Neck on" switch, so that you can get all 7 combinations. Great for getting Gibsonesque neck & bridge type sounds in Series, Tele like in Parallel.

Another cool thing to try is the Bill Lawrence Q-filter.

Have fun!  :madness:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 01:14:54 AM by JohnnyGtar »
Area 58, Area 61, Area 67, HS-2, HS-3, Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues, Fast Track 1, Air Classic neck, Air Norton, Air Zone, Al DiMeola bridge, Bluesbucker, Breed neck, Double Whammy, EVO 2, Evolution neck, Evolution bridge, FRED, MegaDrive, Norton, Super2, Super 3, Super Distortion, Tone Zone, X2N

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 09:49:56 AM »
Hasn't there been some talk about DiMarzio clamping down a bit on the return policy?  Anyway.....

What single-space hums would be riding the line between something that is strong, but not getting into a compressed voicing?  The Satch Track is something I've been considering for a neck position. For the middle, I want to go with a bridge position (or something that works for all positions).....something with an even mid section, maybe more...chimey highs...and articulate and punchy lows that will not flub out or get boomy when chugging on 80s riff rock.

The overall Super 3 bridge tone is alright, but maybe something a little less "tight" sounding...maybe more "open". I like pinches/squeals.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 12:54:20 PM »
Hasn't there been some talk about DiMarzio clamping down a bit on the return policy? 

Yes, right here: http://www.dimarzioforum.com/forum/index.php/topic,5329.msg39762.html#msg39762

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 10:41:58 AM »
I'm thinking of going with a Pro Track for the middle and a Satch Track for the neck.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 04:39:28 PM »
Never played the Protrack but I would go for the Chopper instead. Going by specs the Satch Track and the Chopper should be well matched.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b