Suhr Doug Aldrich bridge model = WOW!

• 6 Replies

Offline JohnnyGtar

• View Profile
Suhr Doug Aldrich bridge model = WOW!
« on: July 14, 2015, 08:11:13 PM »
I had an Al DiMeola bridge pickup and traded it to Budd for a Suhr Aldrich that he had lying around.
Budd, THANK YOU.

Doug Aldrich is one helluva player. (A friend of mine recommended Doug to Mr. Coverdale for the Whitesnake gig.) Now, Doug's live sound with Whitesnake never did it for me, BUT I kept hearing people rave about this pickup, so I started checking out YouTube clips, like these  badass clips by Mark Day:

IN A GIBSON LES PAUL STANDARD:

Suhr Aldrich Pickups Clean Tones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpu2omE3qd4

Suhr Aldrich Pickups Dirty Tones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMxd0VGXfjQ

IN A SUHR MODERN WITH A FLOYD ROSE:

Hellion Electric Eye Cover Using the Suhr CAA OD100se+: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBwFJbZ16Lg <---This one is SICK.

Bark At The Moon with the Suhr OD100se+ Modern: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqD_YpbjLrY

Here's Mark's YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzB53Tox-xhRLnJX35pkT-A

Well, after hearing these clips, I wanted to try one out.

Now, I have some pretty bad health issues, one being carpal tunnel, so I need a very sensitive pickup that easily gets great pinch and tapped harmonics. I was really tired last night when I put the Aldrich into my 80's Kramer with OFR. I did a piss poor job of wiring, I just wanted to get it into my main guitar to see if it was a keeper. OH, YES, IT'S A KEEPER. I didn't even adjust the height. It's about 1/4" away from the strings, but even that far apart, the harmonics are NUTS. I got some good sounds out of it, and went to bed.

Plugged back in this morning, played with a few settings on POD Farm Platinum, and.... OMG.... NIGHT AND FRIGGIN' DAY. From playing it the night before, I already liked the Aldrich, but today after playing around with settings, etc. I'm effin blown away. If you haven't tried one of these, I suggest that you do. The Aldrich has instantly joined the ranks of my top 5 all time favorite humbucking pickups. (BTW, I still haven't adjusted the height. because it sounds too damn good where it is, and it does everything I want a bridge humbucker to do. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?)

I'm in love with this thing. Don't get me wrong, I fly the DiMarzio flag proudly, but Suhr has created a real classic here.

BTW, If you love early VH, this thing is SICK for copping similar tones. The Aldrich says "Hey! I got yer old school wicked VH tones right here, pal!"  :madness:

THANK YOU, BUDD!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 12:35:58 AM by JohnnyGtar »
Area 58, Area 61, Area 67, HS-2, HS-3, Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues, Fast Track 1, Air Classic neck, Air Norton, Air Zone, Al DiMeola bridge, Bluesbucker, Breed neck, Double Whammy, EVO 2, Evolution neck, Evolution bridge, FRED, MegaDrive, Norton, Super2, Super 3, Super Distortion, Tone Zone, X2N

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Suhr Doug Aldrich bridge model = WOW!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 12:59:04 PM »
Sounds like you found your tone. It's always great when that happens.

Have fun with that axe,
Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline JohnnyGtar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 05:14:56 AM »
Sounds like you found your tone. It's always great when that happens.

Have fun with that axe,
Stephan

Thanks, Stephan! Yeah, it's amazing. Damn thing nearly plays itself now! I'm running it with a HS-3 neck and another DiMarzio stack in the middle, but I don't know which one it is. I'm a VERY happy camper now.  :madness:
Area 58, Area 61, Area 67, HS-2, HS-3, Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues, Fast Track 1, Air Classic neck, Air Norton, Air Zone, Al DiMeola bridge, Bluesbucker, Breed neck, Double Whammy, EVO 2, Evolution neck, Evolution bridge, FRED, MegaDrive, Norton, Super2, Super 3, Super Distortion, Tone Zone, X2N

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 03:08:49 PM »
Glad to hear the pickup is working out great for you man!
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline JohnnyGtar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 04:56:22 PM »
Glad to hear the pickup is working out great for you man!

Me too, brother Budd!  :madness: Thanks again!

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 06:15:09 PM »
I wonder if DiMarzio has something really close to the Suhr Aldrich.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline JohnnyGtar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 03:50:04 AM »
I wonder if DiMarzio has something really close to the Suhr Aldrich.

You know, in some aspects, it does remind me of an EVO 2, which is my favorite DiMarzio in the bridge. The Aldrich seems to have just a bit more low end, but like the EVO 2, it never mushes out.