Single coil sized neck PUP advice required.

• 4 Replies

Offline tonejam

• View Profile
Single coil sized neck PUP advice required.
« on: July 07, 2015, 05:17:21 AM »
I'm thinking of replacing my neck PUP. I have a 3 PUP Tele style guitar.
I currently have a Seymour Duncan "Hot For Tele" in neck position, with the cover removed. Nice, but I want something a little thicker (more full size humbucker like?), but still with ability to cut through.
I have an AT-1 at bridge, so want something with some balls to keep up with it.
I've tried a Chopper, but didn't have enough "cut" to its sound, sort of indefinite. Same with an Air Norton S. I used one for years, but finally decided it didn't cut through well enough. It was nice with overdrive, but I'm talking clean sound here.
Thinking maybe ProTrack, or, does anyone have experience with the Satch Trak? I believe its a little brighter than the Pro.
Any other suggestions? Go nuts guys.
Bill.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
Re: Single coil sized neck PUP advice required.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 08:47:21 AM »
Ive tried all the rail-pickups you mentioned except the Satch Track which I have on order and should recieve in a week or so. For me, none of them has a cutting tone. Chopper was the closest but even that sounds a bit muted in the highs and high mids. Maybe its just the nature of rail-style pickups. I hope the Satch Track is more of what I want (ie brightness and cut). I wish DMZ made a super-bright, high output railbucker; Id buy five right away!

Offline tonejam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 08:56:11 AM »
thanks for the reply, jazzfromhell. Would you do a review of the Satch Track when you get it?

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 12:21:09 PM »
Going by specs ProTrack seems to be the wrong direction. Satch Track or Fast Track 1 would be the ones to look at. FT 1 may not have enough output for you though. 

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 03:32:54 PM »
thanks for the reply, jazzfromhell. Would you do a review of the Satch Track when you get it?
Absolutely.