Neck HB for leads + harmonics: D Activator vs PAF Joe vs Full Shred, or?

• 12 Replies

Offline marytakesadrag

• View Profile
Hello, long time reader and seldom poster.

I have an Ibanez RG in C standard. What do you guys recommend for a neck pickup for leads? It'll be for metal music though a massive variety.

I like a fluid tone but it doesn't necessarily have to be warm, round, or smooth.  In fact, I prefer aggression and cut.  Dynamic to picking technique is a plus. At least decent at harmonics but "great at harmonics" is preferred. Tight bass is a must, + subdued bass even better, since I play in C Standard.

I have a Dominion in the bridge which is great for rhythm and decent for leads, but I'd like something more fluid, maybe a little less bright (hence neck position), and if possible, great at harmonics. I have not tried the neck version. 

Any suggestions? 

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
Perhaps you can try the Fred in the neck?

Offline Amplifuzz

• View Profile
D-Activator neck or Full Shred.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
Paf Pro will work too.

Offline marytakesadrag

• View Profile
Thanks guy!

I've tried the FRED in the neck of a different guitar and it's very cool but too bassy even in E Standard.

I'll look into the PAF Pro.  Some reason, Dimarzio's pickup picker mentioned PAF Joe instead of the Pro for harmonics.  What's your experience w/ the PAF Pro?

Any other suggestions? Or am I on the right track w/ the D Activator or Full Shred?  Other brands is cool too

It's hard to find demos or clips of neck pickups :/  Experiences & descriptions appreciated!

Offline Amplifuzz

• View Profile
I have the stock PAF Pro in the neck of my JS-1, and IMO it's good but not excellent at the 'lean bass and great at harmonics' thing. Not a bad choice (the PP almost never is), but not ideal either.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
If you wanna go really lean in the bass there's always the Humbucker From Hell. That could work out really well for you.

Offline JohnnyGtar

• View Profile
The Full Shred neck is great, and if you want more power, I'd try a DiMarzio Super 2.
Area 58, Area 61, Area 67, HS-2, HS-3, Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues, Fast Track 1, Air Classic neck, Air Norton, Air Zone, Al DiMeola bridge, Bluesbucker, Breed neck, Double Whammy, EVO 2, Evolution neck, Evolution bridge, FRED, MegaDrive, Norton, Super2, Super 3, Super Distortion, Tone Zone, X2N

Offline slugworth

• View Profile
Get a Breed Neck! Like the PAF Pro but it has a brighter edge for more cut. Killer harmonics, it excels at both modern and vintage sounds, and it splits like a dream. It has become my favorite neck humbucker.

The D-Activator Neck is a pretty good pickup. It will do what you want, although it can sound brittle. I don't think it would be such a great match for the Dominion.

I hate the PAF Joe. On paper it sounds like a wet dream, but in practice it doesn't do anything well. It is the only Dimarzio pickup I can think of that I would not recommend to anyone for any purpose.

The Fred has great harmonics, but no high-end edge. It goes straight from fundamental to harmonic without any cutting "barrier" in-between, if that makes sense. I don't like the Fred for that reason.
DIMARZIO MODELS CURRENTLY OR PREVIOUSLY OWNED: 68 TOTAL

Offline marytakesadrag

• View Profile
Thanks for the responses guys!

So no on the PP or Joe. 

HFH was a consideration but output is too low especially w/ Dominion in bridge.

I love the Breed! But I think it'd be too smooth IMO.  I remember it absorbs my picking dynamics too much in the neck position.  Bridge is amazing though!

I can tame shrill. Flab or murkyness is my fear!  I fear the D-Activators may sound murky but I'll see soon enough...

I got caught up in life and forgot to check up on this thread. Already have a D-Activator on the way.  I just read about the Super 2 and heard some clips...  Kinda wish I ordered that first.  Oh well, I'll try the Super 2 after if needed.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
Super 2 is a great suggestion. Instant Paul Gilbert; great shred tones to be had. It's not very dynamic though.

Offline JohnnyGtar

• View Profile
Have you experimented with parallel wiring?
Area 58, Area 61, Area 67, HS-2, HS-3, Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues, Fast Track 1, Air Classic neck, Air Norton, Air Zone, Al DiMeola bridge, Bluesbucker, Breed neck, Double Whammy, EVO 2, Evolution neck, Evolution bridge, FRED, MegaDrive, Norton, Super2, Super 3, Super Distortion, Tone Zone, X2N

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
The Fred has great harmonics, but no high-end edge. It goes straight from fundamental to harmonic without any cutting "barrier" in-between, if that makes sense. I don't like the Fred for that reason.

To a certain extent, I have to agree with you there. I have a Fred in the bridge of one of my guitars, and it's too easy for it to lean towards the harmonic as opposed to the fundamental note. I have to dial in the amp and adjust my picking technique a bit if I wanted to reduce the emphasis on the harmonic