So I've installed a Humbucker from Hell in the neck to pair with a Fred bridge

• 7 Replies

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
HOLY CRAP! The Humbucker from Hell with the clean channels sounds really stratty on my guitar, then when you engage some burning gain, it's an all out rawk tone. Pairs really well with the Dimarzio Fred too. The Fred is just classic PAF Pro with more growl and roar. Very happy with the pairing. Also installed a push pull on the master volume to get coil split tones. Humbucker from Hell split just sounds like its own humbucker tone, but less low end and the added hum. I just decided to split it because I wanted the volume to balance well when paired with the Fred coil splitted as well
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 03:44:47 PM by KH Guitar Freak »

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
Also, with that much clarity and brightness from the Humbucker from Hell, I could actually play rhythms with it with a lot of gain, even though it's in the neck position  :o

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
I recently installed a Humbucker from Hell in my PRS and its great. I avoided it for so long because I had heard it was overly bright. That isn't even remotely true from what I am hearing. I've got a Gibson 498t in the bridge with it and they pair up surprisingly well.

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
I recently installed a Humbucker from Hell in my PRS and its great. I avoided it for so long because I had heard it was overly bright. That isn't even remotely true from what I am hearing. I've got a Gibson 498t in the bridge with it and they pair up surprisingly well.

It's bright like a single coil, but the high end isn't overbearing. It's actually rolled off quite nicely. Makes the pickup sing, not to mention in some cases, cuts through the mix very well. Furthermore, I noticed even when the tone control was turned down to zero, the Humbucker from Hell still sounded very clear. Very similar qualities like you would get on a late 60s single coil pickup  8)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 03:10:30 AM by KH Guitar Freak »

Offline phantomofalfred

• View Profile
I was just asking in another thread if the FRED Bridge / HFH neck would work in my new IBANEZ RGAR42MFMT,  Its Mahogany body, with a thick flame maple top and maple bolt on neck.
I play METAL, but have 2 guitars with D Activators. One as a Carvin HH2 Holdsworth, and the other is a Steinberger GL, mahogany body, bolt on Moses Graphite neck.  D Activators are bright so they balance well in those guitars, but for this one, its got that Maple Neck and Thick Maple top,  I thought Medium output with good mids would do. 
Was thinking this combo, I think im gonna go for it,
FRED Bridge / HFH Neck.   The guitar will be used from everything from Satch to Slayer.

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
Since I posted in this thread several years ago, I have had the HFH in several guitars. In every case, I eventually ended up thinking it needed slightly more power and felt/sounded a little stiff and sterile. I ended up replacing it with a PAF Joe. I like the Fred / Paf Joe combo better.

Offline MW-AB

• View Profile
I have one in the neck position on one of my Strats and I have to say I don't think I could have found a better neck bucker for my tastes and needs.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
, I eventually ended up thinking it needed slightly more power and felt/sounded a little stiff and sterile.

This
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram