-leanest DMZ neck humbucker?

• 3 Replies

Offline Kurt R Kish

• Owned or own:
    • View Profile
-leanest DMZ neck humbucker?
« on: May 29, 2015, 12:22:24 PM »
Which one of these neck pick ups is leanest in the bass: Air Classic-EJ Custom-Paf Master-Bluesbucker- HFH?
 I think the DP 103 (36th) shouldn't be on this list.

I currently have the Paf Master and Bluesbucker and they're similar in the low end although the BB might be a touch leaner.
I had the HFH a while ago and had an EJ over 10 years ago and can't recall how they sounded. And I've never heard the Air Classic.

I'd consider putting an A3 in any of these (except the BB).
However, I don't want to "air" or "de-air" any of them. I've done that to many pick-ups and also have made hybrids (even DMZ/Duncan hybrids!) and I'm done with that- I ruin them too often.

As far as pick up height and screw/slug height, the "Air" pick ups just loose their sparkle if they are lowered, like I tried with the Paf Master.
I've even messed with every combination of bobbin/screw/screw height and removing some slugs...

I'd like to rule out split coil and parallel wiring because that just confuses the issue.

So, does anyone out there have some experienced opinions on this?
And, has anyone actually tried ALL of these pick ups?

Thanks for reading this lengthy post- I'll appreciate any feedback.
Thanks,
Kurt
F
HS-1,2 and3- VirtuAL 2 nk md & brdg- Cl. o 55- VVBlues, 54 Pro- Fast Track 1- Pro Track- Paf Pro- Super 3- FRED- H f.H- Tone Zone- Evo neck- Breed brdg- Paf Classic set- VPAF set- EJ set- Mo Joe- 36th set- Norton- Air Norton- Air Zone- Super Distortion- Injector Neck- Area 61- Area 57- Virtual Blues

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: -leanest DMZ neck humbucker?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 05:12:53 PM »
If by lean you mean with the least amount of bottom end, the HFH is the leanest humbucker I've ever tried.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline Kurt R Kish

• Owned or own:
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 07:33:56 PM »
Great- that's what I was just told on the the phone when I spokebto a tech at DMZ.
Thanks buddroyce.

I'm having them send me an HfH and a FRED (using their pick up exchange).

I have a Bluesbucker/PafPro in a Squier VM H/H Jag which sounds perfect for what I like.

For some weird reason, the BB sounds thicker and muddier in a guitar thats identical except it's Alder (the VM Jag is Basswood) and it has a Strat style vintage trem (the VM Jag has a top load set bridge)

You'd think the alder body, vintage trem guitar would be brighter and clearer than the Basswood top load set bridge, but it's the opposite.

So the Alder/vintage trem Jag body will get the HfH in the neck.

Kurt
HS-1,2 and3- VirtuAL 2 nk md & brdg- Cl. o 55- VVBlues, 54 Pro- Fast Track 1- Pro Track- Paf Pro- Super 3- FRED- H f.H- Tone Zone- Evo neck- Breed brdg- Paf Classic set- VPAF set- EJ set- Mo Joe- 36th set- Norton- Air Norton- Air Zone- Super Distortion- Injector Neck- Area 61- Area 57- Virtual Blues

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 09:40:07 AM »
The HFH is definitely lean in the low end. In some applications, I've found it a bit brittle. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out for you.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram