Neck Bucker anti woof question

• 4 Replies

Offline Kurt R Kish

• Owned or own:
    • View Profile
Neck Bucker anti woof question
« on: May 26, 2015, 06:49:21 PM »
I love the sound of humbuckers in the neck. But I cant find one that's lean enough on the E and A strings. I've owned an HfH, Paf Master n, and a Bluesbucker (and have tried many others).  I love the BB, but it's still slightly woofy (in bass notes). I know about messin' with screw/pole height and clipping the screws flush with the bass plate- still not enough.
I also tried remove the slugs from the E and A string (leaving just the screws) on some pickups.

For the hell of it I tried a Fast Track 1- too boomy.
What hum cancelling Strat pick-ups should I consider- Cruiser bridge model (no humbucker qualities?)- Satch neck (too bassy?)- Area 61?

I'm not sure I'd be happy with a pick-up much below 175 millivolts.

The guitar is a Jagmaster.
24" scale
Bolt on maple/rosewood 21 fret neck
Vintage Strat style vibrato
Alder body (I'm not big on the "tone wood" theory though)

Any thoughts?

Ray Barbee? fellow hater of woofy neck 'buckers
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 06:57:37 PM by KRKBAB »
HS-1,2 and3- VirtuAL 2 nk md & brdg- Cl. o 55- VVBlues, 54 Pro- Fast Track 1- Pro Track- Paf Pro- Super 3- FRED- H f.H- Tone Zone- Evo neck- Breed brdg- Paf Classic set- VPAF set- EJ set- Mo Joe- 36th set- Norton- Air Norton- Air Zone- Super Distortion- Injector Neck- Area 61- Area 57- Virtual Blues

Offline winger

• View Profile
    • Ice4bikes
Re: Neck Bucker anti woof question
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 05:52:57 AM »
Set up the amp using the neck humbucker. Woofyness gone.
This might introduce another little point of interest though.
How to thicken up a bridge pup.
John

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 05:29:49 PM »
Have you ever considered running a capacitor inline with the neck pickup to filter out more of the low end? You're basically creating a high pass filter to cut out some of the low end. I believe our friend Lone Phantom (who's also a member here) posted his experience using it on the Tone Zone. You could try something similar.

(found his post)
http://www.lonephantom.com/2011/02/taming-the-tone-zone-continued/
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 04:04:58 AM »
I have done that as well. On the individual pickup it works well. However, when used together with the bridge pickup you will get an out-of-phase effect on the low strings (i.e. below the frequency corner of the cap). I strongly prefer RayBarbee's solution to remove the polepieces in one coil because it achieves the same result without the out-of-phase side effect.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline gauchosilvertone

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 11:58:05 PM »
24" scale...

just sayin