Neck Humbucker trick for removing mud/boom

• 23 Replies

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Neck Humbucker trick for removing mud/boom
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2018, 03:49:57 AM »
I would not have any concern with that.

Keep in mind though that these mods do not really lower the output of a pickup, and are not intended to. They are intended to reduce the low note boominess.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Vinnie1971

• View Profile
Neck Humbucker trick for removing mud/boom
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2018, 04:55:53 AM »
Making sure volume and then me are 500k....

I got a bright sound ( 12 hex poles) by lowering the pickup then lower all 12 poles flush to the bobbin, then raise poles in a wide range humbucker pattern:

North coil raise 3 bass hex poles  1.5 full turns
South coil raise 3 treble screws 1.5 turns - that was very successful.

What I found more successful was this :

Another method was to lower the pickup to 3mm below the string fretted at top fret.

Then for each string raise each pole so it sits 2mm away from the strings and therefore follows the radius.  You can do this on the north coil, the south coil, both coils or 3 bass on north, 3 trebles on south.

Another successful method was to make all the poles flush then raise them all 1/2 a turn, then raise the basses another full turn and set the pickup height 3 mm below the strings on the treble side and 4mm on the bass side

Then tweak from there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline marytakesadrag

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2018, 06:01:09 PM »
You may also wanna try the extra small allen/hex screws.  The ones that are practically the same size of the wrench socket. 

Theres also a demud mod you can do w/ a resistor or cap... I never tried it because never had the need but seem it would work just fine

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2018, 04:05:06 AM »
Theres also a demud mod you can do w/ a resistor or cap... I never tried it because never had the need but seem it would work just fine

The one I have read of is a cap in series with the hot lead of the pickup - mostly a 0.01uf or 0.02uf. What that does is create a high pass, i.e. lows are blocked. This works fine on an individual pickup but you can get phase cancellations when you use both pickups in parallel, so it is a compromise, and it is personal preference whether you can/want to live with that. I cannot as it ruins the middle position tone IMHO.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2018, 09:16:49 AM »
BTW the neckside screw removal trick also worked well with a TV Jones Classic Neck.

Offline Tone Meister

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2018, 04:39:42 PM »
Surely with all the knowledge here and over at the SD forum that most folks know about fitting a capacitor in line to filter out unwanted low end?

With a bit of tweaking on the cap, one should be able to clear up most any pickup, most of the time.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2018, 04:12:12 AM »
That was the mod I was referring to in reply #20 - just the value of the capacitor is different but that is personal preference anyway.

Cheers Stephan

Offline Tone Meister

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2018, 10:01:17 AM »
Thought I had read the entire thread, but somehow I had missed your #20 post.  And yes, it's very much worth trying different values if the .047 doesn't quite do it for you.

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2018, 08:01:15 PM »
I found a much smaller cap is required.  If you put it in parallel with a resistor that works to.  The G&L passive bass control is a .0022uf cap across a 1M pot.

But yes, any time you introduce a capacitor to the circuit, you can introduce phase issues, and that can be an issue in parallel. 

Overall, I've found that just removing poles works best.  Either 3 under the bass on one coil (screws if double screw coil; now I just pop out the slugs on screw/slug pickups) or all 6 on one coil for some pickups (super 2 comes to mind). 

Also note this has much less affect on "aired" pickups than non-aired.