New to 7-strings. Need help!

• 14 Replies

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
New to 7-strings. Need help!
« on: March 25, 2015, 04:12:12 PM »
I recently got an Ibanez 7-string Universe. I find the Blaze pickups a bit lacking, but I have a hard time putting my finger on why. A bit bland perhaps?

Anyway, what's YOUR favorite 7-string pickups for metal, and why?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 04:08:35 AM by jazzfromhell »

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
Re: New to 7-strings
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 06:47:28 PM »
After 25 years, I finally got tired enough of the original Blaze in my Universe and put a Blaze Custom in there. It cured all the ills while keeping a similar vibe.

But for metal.....you could go in many directions with that one. What sort of amp and what sort of metal?  And what brand and model of pickup do you usually use to meet your goals?
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 02:41:23 AM »
I use a Kemper through a guitar cab for monitoring and then go direct to FOH. I use quite a few different profiles for metal; 6505, 5150III, Tapp, Diezel...

In my other guitars I have Tone Zone, AT-1, Norton, Super Dist, D-Activators and Duncan Distortions. I'm leaning towards the DA7 but I just want to hear what people use before I order. Titan looks good on paper too.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 04:58:06 AM »
After 25 years, I finally got tired enough of the original Blaze in my Universe and put a Blaze Custom in there. It cured all the ills while keeping a similar vibe.
Never heard of this one. Tell me more!

Offline greekdude

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 09:11:23 AM »
I recently got an Ibanez 7-string Universe. I find the Blaze pickups a bit lacking, but I have a hard time putting my finger on why. A bit bland perhaps?

Anyway, what's YOUR favorite 7-string pickups for metal, and why?

IMHO Blazes with basswood are excellent. I don't see swapping out mine any time soon. Those pups can do anything.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
Re: New to 7-strings. Need help!
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 04:09:45 AM »
Thanks Greekdude.

Any other 7-string players in here? What pickups are you playing?

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 08:59:52 PM »

Never heard of this one. Tell me more!

Blaze Custom?

Slightly tighter lows and a little more mids with a voice that's not as sterile and the regular Blaze. I considered several of the 7-string options, but going with the Blaze Custom made me feel like I was getting a product improved Universe.

I have a 6-string D Activator set that I like. If you are familiar with that model and are considering the 7-string version, I think you'd be OK.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 08:06:44 AM »

Blaze Custom?

Slightly tighter lows and a little more mids with a voice that's not as sterile and the regular Blaze. I considered several of the 7-string options, but going with the Blaze Custom made me feel like I was getting a product improved Universe.

I have a 6-string D Activator set that I like. If you are familiar with that model and are considering the 7-string version, I think you'd be OK.

Thanks.
Yeah, D-Activator 7 or perhaps this Blaze Custom would do nicely. I think its mids that I miss. Hated the Steve's Special which I guess the Blaze is based on. A Titan 7 would be nice to try too. Any ETA on those?

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 11:10:18 AM »
I use a Kemper through a guitar cab for monitoring and then go direct to FOH. I use quite a few different profiles for metal; 6505, 5150III, Tapp, Diezel...

In my other guitars I have Tone Zone, AT-1, Norton, Super Dist, D-Activators and Duncan Distortions. I'm leaning towards the DA7 but I just want to hear what people use before I order. Titan looks good on paper too.

Sounds like you're typically used to pickups with a lot of mids in them. The stock blaze pickups that come with the Ibanez Universe are quit the opposite which might explain why you're finding them a bit lacking.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 02:08:21 PM »
Yup Budd, I think so too.

Btw, I read your review of the Titan which made me GAS for the upcoming 7-string model.
Do you have any insight into when it might arrive?

Offline greekdude

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 03:37:35 PM »
don't know, with basswood/blazes my Ibanez uv70p is the only guitar I own that can shred so nicely with the bridge pickup. So fluently. All others seem to add this tiny fraction of the milisecond that would make the sound seem fragmented, not so fluent, no so fast. On these guitars I must resort to the neck pup to do the shredding. Blazes/basswood can shred in any conditions, bridge, neck, any amp setting, any amp modeling.
They can do heavy scooped riffing as well, much better than mid boosted pups.

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 08:37:37 AM »
there is a PDF called "DiMarzio pickup tech_data-quick_guide" that you can google.  it's older and not 100% current.

it has this to compare some of the models discussed

Blaze bridge
output  380 mv
treble  6
mid  4.5
bass  7.5
DCR  20.75k

Blaze Custom
output  410 mv
treble  6
mid  7
bass  7
DCR  16k

D Activator 7 bridge
output  460 mv
treble  6.5
mid  6
bass  6
DCR  11.40k

while specs will not tell you the voice of the pickup, it helps a little.  the original Blaze, for example, with a resistance that high, you get an idea where all the compression comes from.

specs that I took off both of mine read as:

Here are DCR specs that I took:

Blaze Custom bridge model DP703
 series - 15.91k
 north - 6.82k
 south - 9.10k
 parallel - 3.90k

Blaze bridge model DP702
 series - 20.2k
 north - 6.39k
 south - 13.83k
 parallel - 4.37k

I don't have the D Activator 7, but the specs I pulled of my D Activator 6 shows the coils to be wound much closer to symmetrical than these Blaze models.

hope that helps.

Offline jazzfromhell

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 02:20:38 PM »
Thanks man, very helpful!

Offline Commander Chaos

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 03:44:46 AM »
I love my d activator 7, it's fuller sounding than the 6 string version I also own. I highly recommend it for metal, it's tight on the 7th string and overdrives the amp hard. I have a liquifire 7 in the neck and I think it's my favorite neck pu for straight up metal, very fluid and nice definition in the pick attack.
I would also recommend the ionizer set, but I only have the 8 string version. It feels like a more balanced d activator, it has a more balanced eq curve and keeps the low strings nice and chuggy without being boomy.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 04:18:03 PM »
Yup Budd, I think so too.

Btw, I read your review of the Titan which made me GAS for the upcoming 7-string model.
Do you have any insight into when it might arrive?

I wish I knew when there would be a Titan 7. It would make for an awesome 7 string pickup (although I'm really hoping for a 7 string version of a the Transition set)
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter