Author Topic: hss suggestions with at-1  (Read 4387 times)

Offline TheWarrior

• View Profile
hss suggestions with at-1
« on: January 15, 2015, 03:18:47 am »
I have an h-s guitar with at-1 and chopper great combo ! I love at-1 it's my goto brige humbucker! In another alder axe i have an hss configuration. I put the at-1 there too and ill' leave the stock middle single coil, now i want something different here than chooper. Something less beefy and brighter but capable to match at-1 output.

I wonder if any area pickup if set closer to the strings can match at-1 output.

Any suggestion ?

Offline Lelik

• View Profile
Re: hss suggestions with at-1
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 08:16:38 am »
Andy Timmons uses the Cruiser bridge pickup in the neck position.
So, I suppose it's a "sufficient" proof of quality and good match with the AT-1.
I use the Cruiser bridge too in the neck, and I love it (for its clarity, both with clean tones and distortion); I prefer it with 500 kohm pots.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 08:18:29 am by Lelik »

Offline TheWarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 08:38:23 am »
Thanks! Is cruiser bridge capable to match at-1  output when you switch ?

Offline Amplifuzz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 08:52:45 am »
I'd say it's a toss between the Cruiser and the Injector neck. Both are a great match, just different.

Offline TheWarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 10:15:33 am »
Thanks how about output difference ?

And i read that area 61 gots similar output to cruiser... i wonder if it might work

Offline Lelik

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 12:37:15 pm »
I don't know the Area 61, but any fear that the power of the Cruiser bridge in the neck can be too low to match the AT-1 in the bridge is (imho) exaggerated. Anyway, please consider that you may want to adjust a little also the distance between the strings and the pickups to find a better compromise in case.
I can't hear any important volume difference when Andy Timmonds switches from the AT-1 to its neck pickup (Cruiser bridge). And he switches often while he plays.

Offline TheWarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 06:35:58 pm »
Thanks ! How about fast track 1? Reading dimarzio specs seems with good output and a good clarity
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 06:40:07 pm by TheWarrior »

Offline Lelik

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 10:29:37 am »
I don't remember the Fast Track 1 anymore. I think it's rather similar to the Cruiser, even if the Cruiser is probably even closer to a real single coil.

I'm personally curious to hear the Satch Track, too, even if I suppose its tone is more like a humbucker pickup.

Offline TheWarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 11:09:50 am »
Thanks ! I think that sarch track si a sort of tweaked chopper.

I think ill get one of these: injector neck or area 61 or cruiser or 54 pro

Idk which one yet.

Offline darkbluemurder

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 04:44:29 am »
The Injector neck is hotter than the Cruiser bridge and should keep up with the AT-1 fine.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, VV Pro 54, Injector neck, HB2, Cruisers, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T set, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, SD, DLX+, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, VHPAF, AT-1, Morse set, Super Distortion S; Norton

Offline TheWarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 10:04:20 am »
Bump for a question: doing a search i read that area pups are more powerfull than tone chart suggests, that they have no string pull issues so they can be set as high as almost kissing strings... Is it true ? And after a proper heigth adjustment are they capable to match a medium hot humbucker ?

Offline LPBII

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 11:09:56 am »
Bump for a question: doing a search i read that area pups are more powerfull than tone chart suggests, that they have no string pull issues so they can be set as high as almost kissing strings... Is it true ? And after a proper heigth adjustment are they capable to match a medium hot humbucker ?

That might be the case with Lace Sensors (ive done it with LS), but with rod magnets or poles I seriously doubt that.

I don't worry too much about neck pickups matching the output of bridge humbuckers, because there's so much more string energy closer to the neck compared to near the bridge. The bridge pickup needs to be more powerful in most cases

If you plan on splitting the humbucker for a notch position tone with the middle, then you need the humbucker to over match the middle.

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 12:32:30 am »
You can set Areas much closer than A5 rod magnets as they are A2, so yes what you said is pretty much true.  They can be set very close without intonation or warble issues, not quite "kissing the strings" but a lot closer than a traditional single.  The same is true of the bar magnet pups like Cruiser/Fast Track/Chopper. 

With AT-1, I personally love the Injector necks for neck/middle.  I use a 20 pole switch and run the AT-1 in parallel mode automatically when it is with the middle pickup, and use 500k pots as both the AT-1 and Injector necks respond well to a 500k.  Other Area pickups do not respond well to 500k pots (they become brittle/bright) and the AT-1 does not respond well to 250k pots.