HFH vs Super 2 vs 36th

• 24 Replies

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
Re: HFH vs Super 2 vs 36th
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2019, 04:22:28 AM »
Love the 36th anniversary pickup in the neck. The HFH is like a louder strat single coil IMO

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2020, 07:39:18 PM »
Tried all the above and 50 others.  For uncovered, duncan full shred neck modded by removing the three poles under the low strings on the neck side coil is the king of bright and tight.  I put in non magnetic hex screws to make it look stock.  They come in zinc but a black sharpie takes care of that.   

For covered, I use fralin twangbuckers with short a5 poles to eliminate string pull, wound to 9k turns.  More than loud enough for a hot bridge partner, and will take the mud right out of a dark LP neck position.  Want traditional? Use a .0015uf tone cap and roll it back. 

Those are the best solutions I've found.  For dimarzio, super 2 with the poles removed from the neck side coil is decent.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 08:05:12 PM by RayBarbeeMusic »

Offline Mew

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2020, 09:35:46 PM »
Sry, but this 3 pickups have absolutely nothing in common. xD
It would be cool if like dilema was between PAF Master neck, 36th PAF neck and Virtual PAF neck.
I really don't see any similar point between this 3 pickups. xD
We have like classic hot PAF design, single coil strat in humbucker format, and shreddy neck. xD
I really don't see anything in common, sry. -.-

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2020, 08:04:26 PM »
HFH does not in any way sound like a single coil, if you have any experience with actual singles.  It is neither bright/peaky enough nor anywhere near tight enough.

I wish it DID, I'd use it.  It doesnt.

As noted, for the DiMarzio line, you can pull the poles out of one side of a Super 2.  Another option is remove the slugs from a Bluesbucker. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 06:28:58 PM by RayBarbeeMusic »

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2020, 11:16:42 AM »
HFH does not in any way sound like a single coil, if you have any experience with actual singles.  It is neither bright/peaky enough nor anywhere near tight enough.

As noted, for the DiMarzio line, you can pull the poles out of one side of a Super 2.  Another option is remove the slugs from a Bluesbucker. 

Wondering if you happen to have any sound samples?
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2020, 11:25:06 AM »
Sry, but this 3 pickups have absolutely nothing in common. xD

which 3 pickups?
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2020, 10:48:32 AM »

Wondering if you happen to have any sound samples?

Best way to hear it is do it and play through your rig.  Takes 5 minutes and can be reversed in 5 minutes.

Offline angry boy jester

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2020, 03:36:45 PM »
Hope I can help here
I have 3 set neck guitars with different Dimarzio HB combos. And since I don't like muddy neck humbuckers I use the EJ custom , Bluesbucker and HFH.

The EJ custom is n the neck slot of my SG paired with the EVO2 . Both great and unique pickups. Didn't face any output balance problem. The EJ custom neck has a really open and sweet clean sound and the more you distort it the more it likes it. I didn't expect that. In medium gain (blues/alt) it has a gretschy character like you would play a cabronita Tele , and on more distorted settings it goes violin like sustain. Awesome pickup but not the standard neck humbucker sound

Bluesbucker neck. Hello pleasure! I got this one in the neck of my Les Paul paired with the air Norton in the bridge. Air Norton was just gone out of the guitar yesterday (will replace it with the PAF Pro) the Bluesbucker stays. As for the output of the Bluesbucker it's shocking how loud that thing is. Says like 220mv and the air Norton 280mv but I had to lower the BB quite down and raise up the Air Norton to balance well. Good combo but there was something in the high mids of the air Norton that I didn't like much. As for the Bluesbucker is fat, really fat but not muddy at all. It has a nice snap too! Will definitely pair well even with high output pickups.

HFH is the other neck pickup I have in my Hamer Vector with the Air Zone in the bridge. I have set up this guitar as a tribute to my huge teenage love Judas priest . I can understand what you don't like..to be honest I mostly prefer to use it clean so it might go soon in another guitar . And compared with the other two I would first propose you the EJ Custom and then the Bluesbucker. Both great but different . EJ custom more gretschy sounding , crystal clean sound not fat but definitely not thin, likes distortion more than you can imagine.
Bluesbucker is fat, fast attack (snappy) probably due to the ceramic magnet but not muddy. When my luthier put it on the first time was like "what the hell why I never tried that in the past " ...and he has tried dosen of pickups .
That's from my experience
The only hb I haven't tried yet but I will soon is the oaf master neck. But from the sound examples I have checked is a good ol PAF style pickup. It reminded me of the early black crows type of LP sound. Will try it soon. Different from the Dp103 which I didn't like at all in the neck of my SG (muddy) but I love in the bridge position of a Junior.

Cheers

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2020, 02:57:09 AM »
Bluesbucker neck. Hello pleasure! I got this one in the neck of my Les Paul paired with the air Norton in the bridge. Air Norton was just gone out of the guitar yesterday (will replace it with the PAF Pro) the Bluesbucker stays. As for the output of the Bluesbucker it's shocking how loud that thing is. Says like 220mv and the air Norton 280mv but I had to lower the BB quite down and raise up the Air Norton to balance well. Good combo but there was something in the high mids of the air Norton that I didn't like much. As for the Bluesbucker is fat, really fat but not muddy at all. It has a nice snap too! Will definitely pair well even with high output pickups.

I had the Air Norton bridge/Bluesbucker neck combo in a Les Paul once and had the exact same impressions. Now it sits in a very bright guitar together with a Super Distortion, and this is a great combo for that particular guitar which has always given me headaches with any other combination I tried in it before.
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2020, 06:00:36 AM »
to revisit the OP from SIX YEARS AGO:

Looking for a neck humbucker for a darky and boomy mahogany Epiphone Les Paul, tuned to standard E. 10-46 strings. I will be wiring it to a switch for split or parallel for clean tones, so I'm focusing on finding something that will handle high gain dirty tones and not get mushy or flub out, specially I'm the lows (think of G and A barre chords, for example).

I do have experience with the HFH, but sort of find it a little rigid and stiff sounding. I'm intrigued by the output of the Super 2, but am concerned about it sounding too saturated. I'm also intrigued by the open vibe of the 36th neck, but am concerned about how it will perform with high gain.

#1. Any opinions on those options?

And

#2. Am I overlooking another option?

Thanks

the result was #2, which was going with the Duncan "Seth Lover' in the neck.

the thread can go back to the nether regions.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram