DimarzioForum.Com > Guitar Lounge

Tuning problems with Les Pauls

(1/4) > >>

darkbluemurder:
Hi,

I always wondered why my strats and teles seem to stay way better in tune than Les Paul type guitars. I could play either strat or tele throughout a 4 session gig with only checking the tuning and maybe a couple small retunes whereas I can take a Les Paul at home at it will go out of tune almost instantly and constantly. The G string is the worst offender - hit it hard and it'll be sharp. Bend it and it returns. Hit it again - sharp again. Retune it, bend it - flat. I filed the nut groove and that helps for maybe a few weeks, then the problem returns. No way that I would ever take it to a gig that way.

Is it the angle where the strings go over the nut? Is it the tune-o-matic bridge (does it matter whether the posts are screwed directly into the body or sit in inserts)?

What can be done to cure this? Or is this endemic to Les Pauls? I remember seeing a Whitesnake show where Doug Aldrich used at least 4 different Les Pauls and changed instruments after each song - is that tuning problem related?

Thanks, Stephan

harmonics:
hello
you have a problem with a g string  ?

i have a strat with sperzel blocking tuners: no pb at all with  a graphite nut too

i have a sg with grover tuners : not perfect but good
i'd have prefered to have some grover locking grovers for the perfection even without a floyd

solution? http://www.bigbends.com/store60/agora.cgi?product=Nut_Sauce&cart_id=63642542.14303&xm=on

tune the strings and pull the strings then tune again the strings: make this 2,  3 times and wait
and  put lubricant or" big bend " on sensitive points: bridge under the strings, bridges, Nut

and i like very much doug too

and  g string tuning is a problem for most of guitars :) :P  :(

rumblebox:
You need to use 3'n'1 oil on the nut, and cut the nut slots to the proper gauge of string your using.

darkbluemurder:
Thanks for the replies so far.

And just to clarify: I was not referring to Gibson with my post - none of my guitars are Gibsons.

Cheers Stephan

greenlion:
Something is binding somewhere. How steep an angle are your strings coming up from the tailpiece to the bridge saddles at? Do you topwrap your strings? What is the nut made out of, and did you use the correct sized files when you filed the nut slots? Are the nut slots shaped correctly? How are you winding your strings around the tuning posts? Are you bridge saddles and bridge stable?

Just a few things to look at.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version