Donation

Author Topic: What's up with people and the Ibanez RG550?!?!?  (Read 41401 times)

Offline ibanezguy

• Ibanez freak
    • View Profile
What's up with people and the Ibanez RG550?!?!?
« on: April 21, 2008, 08:56:19 pm »
I was just on Jemsite (bad enough I know) but it seems like everyone that doesn't own a Jem there is all about the RG550 which to me is an old over rated guitar from the 80's!! What's so special about it that so many people there think it's so great? Is it the pickguard? the color? what?? Geez.. I used to respect the folks over there but lately it seems to have gone to the doghouse.

Sorry, I just had to rant.
Ibanez RG6CSD2
Ibanez RG7CSD1
Ibanez RG3120TW

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
Re: What's up with people and the Ibanez RG550?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 03:54:42 am »
Cause that's what most RG fanboys like...

In fact, I like the DSY colour...  ;D

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 07:52:16 pm »
The RG550 is a poor mans Jem, but seeing that Jemsite actually has more people who wish they had Jems than those that actually do, the majority of the "don't have's" usually end up getting the RG550. Quite honestly most of the time, the guys there worship the RG550 so much that it should honestly be renamed RG550site.

You're right about Jemsite going to the dog house. I find that the forums there have actually been slowly degrading over time, and that's one of the reasons why I spend so much more time here than I do over there now. (...Okay... the fact that I run this place is another reason.. )
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline Mail2JackButler

• Dimarzio Endorsee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 07:40:35 am »
With the 550 or any RG .. its the utility of the thing.. it was one of the first guitars to offer the lines, contours and playability of what most were only offering on custom instruments in a right of the shelf package.
As far as Jemsite.. its like every other big forum... they're are folks they who are intelligent and articulate and just want to discuss and meet similarly interested folk.. and then.. just like every other forum there are the mis-informed, the obnoxious, kids who make false statements, cyber tough guys and know-it-alls.. I probably fall into the "all of the above category"..lol :)
I don't want to name any.. but as forums go. I've visited A LOT worse. I think they all have something to offer.. you just have to sometimes figure out what THAT is. :D
"Intelli-Shred" & "Arpeggio Madness" books  available from NGW!
www.guitarworkshop.com/books/guitarbooks/rock/intellishreddillar
DiMarzio Endorsed Artist: Kevin Dillard. Soundclips available at
www.dimarzio.com
www.myspace.com/intellishred
Morley Endorsee
http://www.morleypedals.com/fom.html

Offline seafoamer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 04:12:51 pm »
I <3 my 1987 RG550.  I never ever, ever, ever, EVER play it, but I still <3 it.

Offline asian_sensation

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 08:48:14 pm »
I <3 my 1987 RG550.  I never ever, ever, ever, EVER play it, but I still <3 it.

Sounds like me and a lot of my guitars! LOL!!

Offline DEE MARZIO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 12:47:47 pm »
I love those 550's(ducks from thrown rocks!) ;D
but i also love old 1981 san dimas charvels, vintage LP's,vintage strats,ESP guitars
the 550 was the first axe to offer a single in the middle of two buckers and coil taps on the humbuckers
and it has a maple fingerboard(my preference) and a real good trem
i also love the original wizard neck(my 81 san dimas has a neck that thin bit it is wider and has a bit more tapered feel)
rememer that they sold new for $500 back in 87-89 so they were affordable also to any players
are they better than the LP's,ESP's,old charvels,comparisons?
NO but they are sweet in thier own right ;D

Offline Tubyboulin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 02:02:05 am »
They might like it because its a really good guitar, and a Lot of people dig the 80's type super strats? :p i personally dont see the appeal of a company offering 7 and 8 string guitars in 10 different shades of Black. Its all personal prefference.

Offline AllDimarzio

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 04:14:08 pm »
Because they look good, play better, and sound great with a wide array of pickups therefor are great for all styles of music. I have a Jem and an custom RG1550. RG's are great guitars.

Offline RichRoger

• DiMarzio Endorsee
    • View Profile
    • www.richroger.com
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 08:09:14 pm »
Man I think everyone had one of these back in the day.   I had a new 87 550 DY I beat the hell out of it for years. 

I stripped my RG550 many many years ago and it even came more alive.  I actually gave it away to one of my students a few years back.   The older RG's are so much better than any of the new ones.    I actually played the re-issue RG550's.   Had to be one of the worst guitars I ever played.  A squire strat had better fret work that that thing.

Musically Yours

Rich Roger 

Rich Roger
ESP Guitars, Dimarzio, S.I.T Strings, Morley, Voodoo Lab, Levy's  & Pedal Train Endorser

Offline purple_voodoo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 10:11:42 pm »
Ibanez seems to have gotten worse over the years. They were super kick ass around the early 2000's but lately they seem to be sub par. ESP and Caparison is what I'm after now.

Offline devastone

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 05:54:57 pm »
I have a reissue black 550 and love it, and yes, I had an original just like it back in 87 or so.  The quality of my reissue is fine, better than the other new RGs (IMHO) and the original Edge is my favorite of the Ibz trems.  I don't think of it as a poor man's Jem, I've owned Jems and could go out and buy one if I wanted to, but the scream "VAI" so loudly it's not for me.  The 550 just whispers it :D 

It's all about personal preference...

But, I have to agree about Jemsite, I used to hang out there alot, but it doesn't do much for me now, the conversations seem to be at a lower level now, people asking basic questions that have been answered 1000 times already.  Not that there is a problem with asking questions, been there done that, most of mine were in the old days when we had to walk uphill barefoot in the snow to ask someone in person how to do something ::), now alot of people are too lazy to use a forum search. 

It's the same with all forums when they get to a certain size, I checked out the ESP forums a few years ago and everything was about Kirk Hammett, not sure who the latest superhero is there now.  It just goes with the territory. 

Anyway, this seems like a cool forum from the little time I've spent here, I'll pop in and out every once in a while. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 10:54:58 am by devastone »

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 03:12:37 am »
James Hetfield will always attract attention on the ESP boards...

Offline Crazy_Guitar

• View Profile
    • Gilly Ribeiro official website
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 10:51:11 am »
What's so special about it that so many people there think it's so great?
It's a well designed axe, versatile and very well built.

Is it the pickguard?
Yes

the color?
Also.

what?? Geez.. I used to respect the folks over there but lately it seems to have gone to the doghouse.
Well... it's all a matter of taste! :)

Guitarist - The Crew

Offline JAMESDP100

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 06:56:35 pm »
Its a sexy axe. :P
Hello I'm quite hung.