Dimarzio Area Pickups for Telecaster

• 17 Replies

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
Re: Dimarzio Area Pickups for Telecaster
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2016, 10:55:21 AM »
I settled on the hot T with a '54 pro in the neck.  As mentioned, the Area T was just too-low in output to balance with the bridge; the '54 is a great pickup matched with the hot T. 

The 615 is a bit twangier and sounded great clean, but with drive, even with a .001uf cap rolled almost all the way down, it was a bit thin.  The hot T solved that issue. If you're more traditional, the 615 nails it.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2016, 03:48:54 AM »
I settled on the hot T with a '54 pro in the neck.  As mentioned, the Area T was just too-low in output to balance with the bridge; the '54 is a great pickup matched with the hot T. 

Indeed. The VV 54 Pro matches also perfect in the middle position with the Hot T.

The 615 is a bit twangier and sounded great clean, but with drive, even with a .001uf cap rolled almost all the way down, it was a bit thin.  The hot T solved that issue. If you're more traditional, the 615 nails it.

Good to hear something about the 615 because there is not much written about it. It seems it is the brightest of the Area models so it's probably not for me. I find the Area T bright enough.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2021, 08:46:47 AM »
Update for the 615T as I have it now in two different teles (both ash bodies and maple necks) - in three words: twang with muscle.

One guitar has an Injector neck in the neck spot - that is why this guitar has a 500k volume pot with a resistor making the bridge pickup see a lower load. This guitar has a push-pull switch which puts the pickups in half-out-of-phase mode to get a sound similar to #2 on a strat.

The other has an Area 67 in the neck and an Area 58 in the middle. It also has a type E megaswitch that gives bridge + neck in #3 instead of the middle pickup because I much prefer that sound.

Both excellent combinations.
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b