Biggest, Fattest, Thickest , Roundest , Darkest Neck Single?

• 11 Replies

Offline Jerryman

• View Profile
Biggest, Fattest, Thickest , Roundest , Darkest Neck Single?
« on: March 16, 2013, 01:11:05 AM »
 For a Strat Neck  . Single coil sized.  Biggest, Fattest, Thickest , Roundest , Darkest Neck Single?
Willing to put up with a little mud/vield sound. Doesn't matter if its hum canceling or not .
The Norton won't tame anything.  A fantastic pickup, it will make your LP sound like a wild mongoose who is piloting a F-22 raptor and smoking crystal meth

Offline tonejam

• View Profile
Re: Biggest, Fattest, Thickest , Roundest , Darkest Neck Single?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 05:19:21 AM »
Air Norton S works for me.

Offline wxs3

• Embrace the Madness, The Madness is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 07:42:17 AM »
just put a tone zone s in the neck and call it a day     :madness:
My first aftermarket pickup was a Super Distortion back in the 70's.  I strayed and tried Rio Grandes, Duncans, and EMGs only to come back to Dimarzio.  Funny were life takes you.

Offline FeinMusic

• View Profile
    • The Spines
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 10:28:17 AM »
Second on the Tone Zone S
Don't tease the octopus, boys and girls!

Luijo

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 10:58:20 AM »
If you still want to retain some Strat tone then go with a Virtual Solo.

mape

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 09:27:06 PM »
Have Tone Zone S in alder/maple neck strat....Air Norton S in mahogany / mahogany strat & in ash / maple strat. Both work really well with those combos. Can't say which would work best for you but can't go wrong with either.

HDanhage

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 07:45:32 AM »
Hi
The Heavy Blues is that  neckpickup for me.
Beefy and  Chunky with a lot of string.

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 07:18:04 PM »
Be more specific.  Do you just want anything single sized that is as hot and dark as you can get?  If that is the question, the answer is BC-2.  I can't imagine it sounding good in the neck, but it answers your question. 

If you want something that is still "traditional single coil" but is as loud dark as you can get, the answer is Virtual Solo for noiseless, or SDS for non-noiseless single. 

If your question is "something that still sounds like a neck single coil pickup but is high output and warm-ish" then Injector Neck or HB-2.  Injector neck is basically an HB-2 with a more articulate high end, that's why it works better in the neck than an HB-2, which I've found really only works in the neck in very bright guitars/amps and/or with 500k pots.

Offline Jerryman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 10:28:17 PM »
Be more specific.  Do you just want anything single sized that is as hot and dark as you can get?  If that is the question, the answer is BC-2.  I can't imagine it sounding good in the neck, but it answers your question. 

If you want something that is still "traditional single coil" but is as loud dark as you can get, the answer is Virtual Solo for noiseless, or SDS for non-noiseless single. 

If your question is "something that still sounds like a neck single coil pickup but is high output and warm-ish" then Injector Neck or HB-2.  Injector neck is basically an HB-2 with a more articulate high end, that's why it works better in the neck than an HB-2, which I've found really only works in the neck in very bright guitars/amps and/or with 500k pots.

Great insight, thanks! :)
The Norton won't tame anything.  A fantastic pickup, it will make your LP sound like a wild mongoose who is piloting a F-22 raptor and smoking crystal meth

Stratmandooo

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 03:41:58 PM »
Never thought you really needed to ever replace a pickup in a Strat unless the bridge is a lil under-powered for your needs. Tweak the amp and roll off the highs and the neck can get pretty fat. Now if I wasnt satisfied enough to use what I had then the next step would be a Duncan Custom or Quarter Pounder, and of course Gilmour can testify to the fatness a Dimarzio FS-1 will giva ya. The biggest problem with mix-matching strat pickups is you end up affecting your 2-4 "quack" positions. But if metal or playing in a distorted mode is your MO then the "quack" might not even be your cup o' tea.

Offline jule7625

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2019, 03:23:51 PM »
SDS-1...?

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2019, 03:46:19 PM »
I have the Heavy Blues 2 in my Tracer neck. I love it. Still has that single coil "sting" but is big and fat at the same time.
Has enough output to keep up with a bridge humbucker too. It's my new favorite stacked bucker.
If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else