Crunch Lab or Dominion?

• 6 Replies

Offline psc69nyc

• View Profile
Crunch Lab or Dominion?
« on: September 21, 2012, 12:34:36 PM »
Looking to change the stock pickups in my 1991 Ibanez RG-565. I've been leaning towards the Crunch Lab, but have heard and read some great things on the Dominion. Even though the Dominion was designed for a short scale mahogony bodied guitar, the results seem to be great in basswood RG's with locking trems. I plan to use this guitar in standard E and possibly block the Edge tremolo to facilitate drop D. I haven't heard any demos of single string playing with the Dominion just riffing. I've heard the Dominion described as a tighter more aggressive cross bewtween a Breed and a Tone Zone which has me intrigued. As far as the Crunch Lab I've heard plenty of samples that lead me to believe it would be fine, but when most zig I prefer to zag. The neck pickup I am debating between a Pro Track or an Air Norton S. The specs seems very similar, so I don't think I can go wrong with either. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline Scottcrud

• View Profile
Re: Crunch Lab or Dominion?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 04:09:26 PM »
I'm getting a Dominion. Mark tells me I'll love them.

Offline psc69nyc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 12:34:12 PM »
Good luck with the Dominion. I'd love to hear samples or get your feedback on the lead tones.

Offline psc69nyc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 08:00:01 PM »
Also now considering a Super 3. Looking for something ballsy, tight with an articulate attack, but can also be creamy smooth during legato runs. This RG 565 tone is pretty flat. Not sure if it's the basswood body or the Floyd. Just looking for something to bring it to life.

As always any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Offline Commander Chaos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 12:44:47 AM »
Dominion and Air norton s, two of my favorite pickups. Very versatile combo and uncompromising hard rock and metal tone. Dominion is super tight but still has some serious chunk and the air norton is the perfect pickup for speedy leads. If you have any questions, I have a lot experience with both pickups

Offline gauchosilvertone

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 02:22:11 PM »
Commander Chaos, I'm building a Warmoth Alder soloist with Wilkinson trem to be a great all-around rock guitar.  It will do a lot of duty as a metal axe but also needs to be versatile for everything from classic/southern rock to funk (I don't really care if it's not a great funk guitar but just saying, I'll be playing all of the above).

I'm going with the Liquifire in the neck PROBABLY as I've used it before to good effect.  It's a great warm fat but tight (if that makes sense) neck pickup whose only downside is not being able to do the true PAF thing. 

I'm also considering the Transition set (the official DM Lukather video makes them sound like God) and the Dominion set.

So specifically about the Dominion bridge, do you see it being well suited to my needs?  Morton himself describes his personal non-LOG playing as including classic rock and blues, so that makes me think good thoughts.  But then other people talking about it are like TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT which makes me think STIFF STIFF STIFF. 

Worth noting that for me "metal" means Ozzy-Opeth.  Nothing "heavier" than that.

Thanks.

Offline HeyNorton!

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 06:59:45 PM »
I have an rg3xxv, which is the quasi reissue if the 565.  It has a d'activator/air Norton s combo

I actually like the air Norton s better than the regular one. 

The DActivator bridge matches really well with it and is an amazing metal pickup. 

Since I run my amp in triode mode, the bright and articulate tone works with the squishy, less bright amp tone I have.

It want to try an air zone and a Norton in her eventually though. The dominion sounds interesting too.  The breed as well.

I want another Rg3xxv so I can put a lower output bucker in the bridge and a true single coil in the neck for a more classic rock vibe