Donation

Author Topic: Polepiece design question...  (Read 2810 times)

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
Polepiece design question...
« on: July 21, 2012, 05:06:52 pm »
If I'm not mistaken, people had mentioned to me before that polepiece designs (Dimarzio hex vs. regular coil and slug) are not interchangeable. Anyone care to explain why this is so???

Offline ed hunter

• View Profile
Re: Polepiece design question...
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 09:28:09 am »
If I'm not mistaken, people had mentioned to me before that polepiece designs (Dimarzio hex vs. regular coil and slug) are not interchangeable. Anyone care to explain why this is so???
Depending on the model, some dimarzio's slug coil holes are too small to fit the head of a hex polepiece. i have modded a regular dp103(old school one) and a old TZ with all hex poles with no problem. but YMMV ;)

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 01:00:32 pm »
Depending on the model, some dimarzio's slug coil holes are too small to fit the head of a hex polepiece. i have modded a regular dp103(old school one) and a old TZ with all hex poles with no problem. but YMMV ;)

Well, I always wanted to order some Dimarzios to have screws and slugs, only because I'm an*l about keeping to design the same on the same guitar. Don't like the mismatched coil designs myself...  :o

Offline Luijo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 02:03:10 pm »
How go you get the hex screws to fit where the regular screws go?

Offline ed hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 02:55:25 pm »

How go you get the hex screws to fit where the regular screws go?
thats the easy part, they screw right in,if you take the from a paf pro or fred, a super distortion or the evo poles will NOT work :o

Offline Joey Voltage

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 07:30:10 pm »

Well, I always wanted to order some Dimarzios to have screws and slugs, only because I'm an*l about keeping to design the same on the same guitar. Don't like the mismatched coil designs myself...  :o

I understand the cosmetic aspect, but keep in mind the tonal characteristic will change somewhat when you swap pole piece type.  the materials the poles are made out of will make a difference too.  for better or worse thats up to you though.  For cosmetic reasons only, I tried this on a tonezone once and didn't care for the result.

Offline mesa0131

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 08:57:45 pm »
Poor tone zone! Did you swap it back? Was she okay?
Fine wines are found in glass bottles, not plastics sacks; As such, so are the finer electrons.

Offline Joey Voltage

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 10:35:49 pm »
Poor tone zone! Did you swap it back? Was she okay?

Yeah, she's fine.  I put the old poles back in and (unnecessarily) ran a heat gun over it to melt some of the wax to reseat them.  Doing it to the philister side only had wierd effect too although subtle.  It tightened it up a little, and seemed to drop the output, but gave it a "dense" quality at the same time, similar to how a Fred can be in some guitars, like a half stale cake donut. Hard to musically describe, I haven't tried to reproduce the result though, so it might have been an isolated incident.