Donation

Author Topic: Just for the hell of it...  (Read 1274 times)

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
Just for the hell of it...
« on: March 23, 2012, 11:07:42 am »
Wonder if any of you guys know what a good strat set would be to try and cop more of that Eric Johnson tone? On his first prototype signature strat, he did install a HS-2 in the bridge. But of all the Dimarzio single coils, it's the lowest output single coil there is. I wonder what would pair that with the middle and neck...

Offline Luijo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Just for the hell of it...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 11:56:02 am »
He uses the HS-2 indeed BUT as a SC. All you have to do is wire the top coil only and you get a fatter/louder/noisy(slightly less than a regular SC) PU with that EJ sound.
Remember, the PU is just part of the equation.

Offline stratdan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 07:08:29 pm »
I have an EJ sig strat and I really the stock pickups it came with, it's the only strat I have, wherein I didn't swap out the stock pups. If you really want that tone, I would go with Fender custom shop pups, my favourite being the Fat 50's, I absolutely love the tone they have, but the Custom 69's are supposed to be good too. I'm sure that the DMZ VV's would also work, but don't overlook the Fender's, the CS pups are excellent vintage tone producers. Also, you gotta have a little of that EJ touch to truly nail the tone. 

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 01:24:22 am »
I have an EJ sig strat and I really the stock pickups it came with, it's the only strat I have, wherein I didn't swap out the stock pups. If you really want that tone, I would go with Fender custom shop pups, my favourite being the Fat 50's, I absolutely love the tone they have, but the Custom 69's are supposed to be good too. I'm sure that the DMZ VV's would also work, but don't overlook the Fender's, the CS pups are excellent vintage tone producers. Also, you gotta have a little of that EJ touch to truly nail the tone.

Well, I would have kept the stock pickups if I ever bought an EJ strat. However, I was just curious as to what this board knew about getting his pickups tones. I would have thought those Virtual Vintage 54 Pro would get closer to his pickup tones, but it's definitely higher output than the HS-2...