Author Topic: Super Distortion and YJM orientation  (Read 9273 times)

Offline Arndee

• View Profile
Super Distortion and YJM orientation
« on: July 18, 2007, 09:45:18 pm »
Hi,

I've recently installed these two pickups, YJM in the neck and Super in the bridge, however the super sounds "muffled" and something just feels "off" with it - I think it's out of phase or "upside down" or something. I replaced a stock neck pickup, and a Fender DH1 in the bridge (Which I'd put in years ago to replace something else, but I need a change now :P).

http://www.guitarnucleus.com/gitschems/dimarzio_humsingcanhum.gif I installed the Super "upside down" like the bridge pickup shown in the this diagram, and the YJM in the neck is "the right way round".. could this be the problem?

The YJM sounds fine, but the super just sounds.. not right. I'm sure it's either out of phase or upside down. Do any of you guys know what I should have done instead?

I'm not worried about them not being balanced as I don't switch between them, rather I use (or intend to) them separately.

Offline asian_sensation

• View Profile
Re: Super Distortion and YJM orientation
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 10:28:42 pm »
I think maybe your Super D might be out of phase. I dunno why you needed to install the Super D upside down though. Have you tried putting it the right way around?? I know some Dimarzio pickups sound different turned around.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 10:32:06 pm »
Definitely try it the right side up, but also play with the height. If the pickup is too low you won't get enough output and it can get a little muddy. Pushing the pickup closer to the strings increases the output and the top end of the pickup.

Additionally, you may also want to play with the pickup pole height. The Super Distortion is a pretty awesome pickup and shouldn't sound 'off'. Check all your grounds and your wiring just in case you have the pickup wired out of phase or in parallel.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline asian_sensation

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 10:37:47 pm »
Have you tried wiring the pickup directly to the output jack just so see how the pickup is supposed to sound by itself? 'cause if it sounds the same with nothing else wired, maybe you have a faulty pickup.

Offline Arndee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 12:03:29 am »
I think maybe your Super D might be out of phase. I dunno why you needed to install the Super D upside down though. Have you tried putting it the right way around?? I know some Dimarzio pickups sound different turned around.
Hi,

I turned it round "the right way" and it sounds fine now! I'd turned it that wrong way round as I was following that diagram mistakenly.

The annoying this was I got it right the first time, then I checked a diagram and turned it the wrong way round.

Thanks all!  ;D

Offline Arndee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 12:06:29 am »
Definitely try it the right side up, but also play with the height. If the pickup is too low you won't get enough output and it can get a little muddy. Pushing the pickup closer to the strings increases the output and the top end of the pickup.

Additionally, you may also want to play with the pickup pole height. The Super Distortion is a pretty awesome pickup and shouldn't sound 'off'. Check all your grounds and your wiring just in case you have the pickup wired out of phase or in parallel.

I have the pickup about as high as it will go without getting tangled in the strings when I fret them, at the moment -I only got to play it shortly before I had to turn my amp off (5am here now), but I like what I hear! The YJM pickups sounds great too.

I never knew there was a Dimazio forum, even if it's unofficial. Glad I was told of this place! :P

Offline Arndee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 12:09:02 am »
I knew putting a pickup in upside down changed the sound, but I wasn't aware it was that drastic a change!

Offline asian_sensation

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 11:29:35 am »
I knew putting a pickup in upside down changed the sound, but I wasn't aware it was that drastic a change!

I believe pickups like the D-Sonic produce a completely different sound when flipped around but I'm not too sure how much of a difference it makes on a pickup where both coils are identical.

Offline Arndee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 04:55:17 pm »

I believe pickups like the D-Sonic produce a completely different sound when flipped around but I'm not too sure how much of a difference it makes on a pickup where both coils are identical.
There was certainly a difference; it just wasn't right - not at all the way it sounds now!

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 05:00:51 pm »
Glad to hear you got the Super Distortion to sound the way you wanted it.
Follow me on Twitter

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 08:41:25 pm »
I never knew there was a Dimazio forum, even if it's unofficial. Glad I was told of this place! :P

Don't forget to tell your friends ;)
Follow me on Twitter

Offline tomago

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 10:44:38 am »
The change in tone might be from the difference in pickup polarity (north/south)