Author Topic: Quick question Norton Vis a Vis Air Zone  (Read 7303 times)

Offline Jerryman

• View Profile
Quick question Norton Vis a Vis Air Zone
« on: August 11, 2011, 01:17:18 pm »
If you recall, I posted a thread about wanting a  bridge pickup to tame a bright Les Paul,. and to add some life to a tone dead instrument.
I was recommended the Super3 and Tone Zone, but have since decided on something more vintage sounding.
I'm looking at the Air Zone primarily, however I do have a Norton lust laying around.
Will the Norton Tame a Too brIght Les Paul? Is it a good Les Paul bridge pickup in general? Will it add some vivacity to a flat sounding Guitar?
As always, I appreciate your help.
The Norton won't tame anything.  A fantastic pickup, it will make your LP sound like a wild mongoose who is piloting a F-22 raptor and smoking crystal meth

Offline devastone

• View Profile
Re: Quick question Norton Vis a Vis Air Zone
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 01:53:01 pm »
I don't know if it will "tame" it, but it should be a great LP bridge pickup.  Neal Schon uses a Norton.  Heck, if you've got it laying around, it's definitely worth giving it a try. 

Offline Jerryman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 03:01:54 pm »
I don't know if it will "tame" it, but it should be a great LP bridge pickup.  Neal Schon uses a Norton.  Heck, if you've got it laying around, it's definitely worth giving it a try.  

Man, I would , but I already got a dozen projects at least  unfinished..
I'd rather go by what some of the guys here think first.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 09:39:18 pm by jerryjg »
The Norton won't tame anything.  A fantastic pickup, it will make your LP sound like a wild mongoose who is piloting a F-22 raptor and smoking crystal meth

Offline oilpit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 03:04:10 pm »
The Norton won't tame anything.  A fantastic pickup, it will make your LP sound like a wild mongoose who is piloting a F-22 raptor and smoking crystal meth, but it most definitley won't make it sound any more "polite" or "under control"

I'd go for an Air Zone or a Breed Bridge, an AT-1 might even work, but there could be too much of a high mid spike for your liking.

Offline ed hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 03:09:11 pm »
The Norton won't tame anything.  A fantastic pickup, it will make your LP sound like a wild mongoose who is piloting a F-22 raptor and smoking crystal meth, but it most definitley won't make it sound any more "polite" or "under control"

wow why does that description of the NORTON make me really want to use one now? :madness: a wild mongoose on meth huh? I like that! ;D

Offline Jerryman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 04:18:57 pm »

I'd go for an Air Zone or a Breed Bridge, an AT-1 might even work, but there could be too much of a high mid spike for your liking.

Cool. Mind if I siig that? !

I tried the Breed bridge, and that was  for sure barking up the wrong tree.
Understand I'm most concerned about taming ICEPICK.

Offline oilpit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 07:50:25 pm »
Cool. Mind if I siig that? !

I would encourage it!

I tried the Breed bridge, and that was  for sure barking up the wrong tree.

Oh, I misunderstood what you meant.  The Norton will definitely even out the EQ of your Les Paul.  However the Norton has a very healthy dose of treble, so depending on just how bright your LP is I would go with an Air Zone.  It's both darker and more vintage sounding than the Norton, and people say very good things about them in Les Pauls.  But if you can deal with the brightness of the Norton (and like I said before, it really isn't that bright, I've got mine in the bridge of a Strat with just a 500k volume and it sounds great) I would definitely go for it.

Offline Jerryman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 09:38:22 pm »
^ Yep, going with an Air Zone. Thnx.

Offline slugworth

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 11:47:55 pm »
Air Zone in a Les Paul bridge is THE SHIT.  Unbreakable balls, killer harmonics, and the definite vintagey vibe.  Cleans up and splits well, too.  Not as finicky to dial in as a Tone Zone, but it is definitely worth spending some time to get it jussssst right.

Norton in the same spot would be great too.  Hard to go wrong with either.
DIMARZIO MODELS CURRENTLY OR PREVIOUSLY OWNED: 68 TOTAL

Offline devastone

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 11:39:24 am »
I tried the Breed bridge, and that was  for sure barking up the wrong tree.

Definitely the Air Zone then, but I've never heard a Breed described as having an icepick.  My experience with them is that they are very warm sounding, midrangey pickups and very  "polite" sounding, although they have some nice harmonics. 

Offline Jerryman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 03:06:26 pm »
Yeah, this is an Agile Les paul, and the 57 classic I put in the neck  sounds awesome, but the 36th,AAV., and then the Breed Bridge I put in the bridge wererboth icepicky. The guitar has an extremely bright and tonally flat/ bridge sound, and the breed did add charecter, but again, I couldt get the icepick to go away...it was just a littel OTT, but you coul;d tell not  by much.
I'll try the Air Zone. Judging from what I've heard, I believe it'll work..of not I'll try the Tone Zone I have next.

Offline slugworth

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 10:08:50 am »
Tone Zones are too big sounding for most Les Pauls, but going by your description of the wood, that might be what you need.

Still, try the Air Zone first.  If you get the AZ in, tweak it, and find that it just sounds wimpy, then a TZ ought to be the ticket.
DIMARZIO MODELS CURRENTLY OR PREVIOUSLY OWNED: 68 TOTAL

Offline alfaromeo90

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 03:29:20 pm »
The AIr Zone is incredibly  bassy, and warm.  If you still have brightness problems, then no pickup will fix that.   The Breed  seems not to bright to me - very middy, so i think your main issue is an amp/guitar mismatch.   
"What'll it be?"
"I'll have a PAF Pro please....ahh geez, make it a double."