Just waht IS the Relationshio between Seymour Duncan and Larry Dimarzio?

• 19 Replies

Offline Jerryman

• View Profile
As a member of the Duncan forums also, I wasn't quite brave enough to post this  there. i was always curious though. These are the two great pioneers of pickup technology

I sense theres no love lost between them, only because of the lack of any previous real mention of any correspondence  or collaboration of the two camps. Plus the fact that they  have conflicts with different artists endorsements (   for example Yngwie) .Thats just my percepton.

I'd love to see Larry and Seymour get together on a pickup, It'd be a blockbuster , and a win win for evryone, including Dimarzio and Duncan.. but that might be asking for some kind of pie in the sky.
The Norton won't tame anything.  A fantastic pickup, it will make your LP sound like a wild mongoose who is piloting a F-22 raptor and smoking crystal meth

Offline CityofBlindingLights

• *Site Supporter*
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
imho seymour'd be too pretentious to do so. But I imagine that this isn't something that Larry'd be begging for either.

Offline Butch Snyder

• View Profile
imho seymour'd be too pretentious to do so.

I disagree.  I know Seymour.  He's just a guy trying to make a living doing the same thing that Larry DiMarzio is doing.  That said, Larry DiMarzio is just trying to make a living himself.  Both are excellent pickup makers.  There are others out there too, who have very negative opinions of both Mr. Duncan and Mr. DiMarzio.  Bill Lawrence is one of them and so is Joe Barden.  Bill Lawrence has been quoted as almost ridiculing some of Seymour's ideas.
-Butch Snyder

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Bill Lawrence, I love that man. He's one guy that can talk shit about a lot of other pickup makers and get away with it.

As for getting Larry and Seymour together to make a pickup.. I'm not too sure how well it'd turn out really.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

dr. ad

i think it's a very interesting idea jerry
imagine seymour winding a humbucker, then larry examining it and re-winding one of the coils and possibly using a different wire gauge, switching to a virtual-vintage bobbin and/or half-airing the thing?

i would not presume to judge either of them, not knowing either of them personally.
some would consider that to be in poor taste

Stiltzkin

Bill Lawrence, I love that man. He's one guy that can talk shit about a lot of other pickup makers and get away with it.

That's because Bill is the granddaddy of aftermarket pickups :)
Chances are we wouldn't have DiMarzio if it weren't for Bill ;)

LesPaulPlayer

Bill and Becky Lawrence live right down the road from me - about an hour drive....anyway, I called them in regards to a set of their old school pickups with the printed circuit board on the bottom for wiring schematics....Becky could not find any on hand BUT she did call me about 8:00 at night with good results after digging through their garage finding the stuff -- would DiMarzio staff or Duncan staff do that?  Dont get me wrong, 90% of my guitars have DMZ or SD p'ups ( about 35 guitars total ), just 2 have BL p'ups..why????? dont ask me --- personal preference------

Offline slugworth

• View Profile
Bill and Becky are great people.  I'm not in love with their pickups, but from a character standpoint alone they have been a great influence on the pickup industry.
DIMARZIO MODELS CURRENTLY OR PREVIOUSLY OWNED: 68 TOTAL

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
Steve Blucher is the designer.  Larry is the name.  I don't think Larry has designed a pickup in at least 2 decades, if not 3. 

Offline Jerryman

• View Profile
Steve Blucher is the designer.  Larry is the name.  I don't think Larry has designed a pickup in at least 2 decades, if not 3.

Interesting, I Didn't kniow that. I'd give anything for Larry Dimarzio to custom wind me a set of Strat pickups or a vintage PAF though!
Speaking of which, every now and again comes a "Pre-factory" Dimarzio for sale ( usually at ridiculuous absurd prices).
Anyone know if Larry Dimarzio was personally  custom winding some of those early pickups? This isn't something i wouldnt ask directly of Dimarzio Tech assistance.

I think for his 40th, Larry Dimarzio should make 100 sets of the original Handwound PAf and VS-1 Strat pickups to spec in a limited edition boxed set. Hello L.D...ya listenin??
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 03:38:32 PM by jerryjg »
The Norton won't tame anything.  A fantastic pickup, it will make your LP sound like a wild mongoose who is piloting a F-22 raptor and smoking crystal meth

Offline Joey Voltage

• View Profile

Interesting, I Didn't kniow that. I'd give anything for Larry Dimarzio to custom wind me a set of Strat pickups or a vintage PAF though!
Speaking of which, every now and again comes a "Pre-factory" Dimarzio for sale ( usually at ridiculuous absurd prices).
Anyone know if Larry Dimarzio was personally  custom winding some of those early pickups? This isn't something i wouldnt ask directly of Dimarzio Tech assistance.

I think for his 40th, Larry Dimarzio should make 100 sets of the original Handwound PAf and VS-1 Strat pickups to spec in a limited edition boxed set. Hello L.D...ya listenin??

I think it depends on who you ask, some might claim Larry might have briefly apprenticed under bill Lawrence at one point, But not sure on the accuracy of that claim.  Some might also claim the only model Larry fully designed was the original super distortion.  Can't confirm that claim either.  Not too sure how much of either claim is applicable or matters really.

mrrstrat

Re: Just waht IS the Relationshio between Seymour Duncan and Larry Dimarzio?
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 08:39:28 AM »

Steve is a real cool guy, and is on many of the DiMarzio patents. Lots of technology goes into giving us the great tones from the line of pickups. I never met Larry, but I would imagine aside from a healthy rivalry they would probably get along pretty good if in a room together.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 01:05:50 PM »
I love Steve, he's one of the guys I make sure I meet to see every time I goto NAMM. Although I do believe that in an interview somewhere with Steve Blutcher, he mentioned that he didn't know anything about pickups before he started with DiMarzio. Most of the patents that DiMarzio holds have both Steve's name and Larry's name on it so I'm pretty sure Larry's not just sitting on his ass for the last couple of decades.

Seymour and Larry are both great guys and I'm pretty sure they'd get along real well if they were in the same room together.
Follow me on Twitter

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 09:47:22 PM »
would DiMarzio staff or Duncan staff do that?

Eric at DiMarzio did EXACTLY that for me when I wanted some custom Multibuckers made last year.  He dug around for days and could only find 7 circuit boards, Steve wouldn't let him use them because someone else already had dibs unfortunately, but Eric had be me send in some Chopper/FT-1 stock versions and he re-did them with Cruiser Neck/FT-1 like I wanted.  I only paid for the Cruiser Neck coils. 

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 12:57:01 AM »
Damn now you're making me want some multibuckers.
Follow me on Twitter