Just waht IS the Relationshio between Seymour Duncan and Larry Dimarzio?

• 19 Replies

Lewguitar

If there's bad blood between Seymour and Larry, it might stem from Dimarzio copyrighting the double cream look of humbucking pickups and preventing anyone else from making humbuckers with that look. 

Even though Larry did not invent it, and Gibson made double cream humbuckers in the 1950's, he got away with copyrighting it. 

If I were Seymour I'd be upset about it too.  Heck, I'm not Seymour and it kind of pisses me off and to be 100% honest, that copyright seemed petty and prevented me from using Dimarzios for a long time - even though I love the Dimarzios in the old Hamer Sunbursts I used to play.

Regardless, some of the Dimarzio designs are to good to pass up.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Yeah, such as the Area series. IMHO there is no comparison for noiseless single coil sized pickups. 

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline RayBarbeeMusic

• View Profile
At least Larry didn't rip off someone else's signature to sell something then not give them credit (royalties) on it when he copyrighted double cream.  That actually WAS the DiMarzio look for years when the Super D came out. 

On the other hand, Seymour uses Jeff Beck's image to sell the JB and has the balls to call it the "Jazz-Blues" when everyone knows wtf it was designed for, and the "78", formerly the "EVH", uses clips of Van Halen covers to promote it, then has the balls to call it the "Even ***** Harmonics" pickup or some similar nonsense, use the year the first VH record dropped but then say it isn't intended to be associated with any particular artist.  Bullshit.  Pay the guys, or change the F'ing name and don't use the implied association to sell it without permission.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
At least Larry didn't rip off someone else's signature to sell something then not give them credit (royalties) on it when he copyrighted double cream.  That actually WAS the DiMarzio look for years when the Super D came out. 

One may question whether a thing like double cream coils is copyrightable in the first place but it is certainly not Larry's fault that it is, and I would not blame him for that. 
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews

On the other hand, Seymour uses Jeff Beck's image to sell the JB and has the balls to call it the "Jazz-Blues" when everyone knows wtf it was designed for, and the "78", formerly the "EVH", uses clips of Van Halen covers to promote it, then has the balls to call it the "Even ***** Harmonics" pickup or some similar nonsense, use the year the first VH record dropped but then say it isn't intended to be associated with any particular artist.  Bullshit.  Pay the guys, or change the F'ing name and don't use the implied association to sell it without permission.

Necro-bump

I think this touches on an issues that is still going on, even more so with Seymour’s reduced level of involvement over the past 5 or so years. 

Considering product names such as Whole Lotta Humbucker, Killing Floor, Saturday Night Special, Pearly Gates, Metal Fatigue, IM1, Greenie, High Voltage, Weather Report, Dirty Deed... and look at how many versions of the JB are out there that Beck is apparently not getting paid for. Any one else wondering if the La Super Rica taqueria in Santa Barbara gets any credit in the naming of that new fuzz pedal?  I’m also guessing the JRR Tolkien estate isn’t getting paid for Nazgûl.

As to the OP, I’d imagine there’s no obvious reason for them to not get along.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram