DimarzioForum.Com > The mini bar (off topic & misc)

Just waht IS the Relationshio between Seymour Duncan and Larry Dimarzio?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Joey Voltage:

--- Quote from: jerryjg on April 30, 2012, 03:33:12 PM ---
--- Quote from: RayBarbeeMusic on April 22, 2012, 01:09:44 PM ---Steve Blucher is the designer.  Larry is the name.  I don't think Larry has designed a pickup in at least 2 decades, if not 3.

--- End quote ---

Interesting, I Didn't kniow that. I'd give anything for Larry Dimarzio to custom wind me a set of Strat pickups or a vintage PAF though!
Speaking of which, every now and again comes a "Pre-factory" Dimarzio for sale ( usually at ridiculuous absurd prices).
Anyone know if Larry Dimarzio was personally  custom winding some of those early pickups? This isn't something i wouldnt ask directly of Dimarzio Tech assistance.

I think for his 40th, Larry Dimarzio should make 100 sets of the original Handwound PAf and VS-1 Strat pickups to spec in a limited edition boxed set. Hello L.D...ya listenin??

--- End quote ---

I think it depends on who you ask, some might claim Larry might have briefly apprenticed under bill Lawrence at one point, But not sure on the accuracy of that claim.  Some might also claim the only model Larry fully designed was the original super distortion.  Can't confirm that claim either.  Not too sure how much of either claim is applicable or matters really.

mrrstrat:

--- Quote from: jerryjg on April 30, 2012, 03:33:12 PM ---
--- Quote from: RayBarbeeMusic on April 22, 2012, 01:09:44 PM ---Steve Blucher is the designer.  Larry is the name.  I don't think Larry has designed a pickup in at least 2 decades, if not 3.

--- End quote ---

Interesting, I Didn't kniow that. I'd give anything for Larry Dimarzio to custom wind me a set of Strat pickups or a vintage PAF though!
Speaking of which, every now and again comes a "Pre-factory" Dimarzio for sale ( usually at ridiculuous absurd prices).
Anyone know if Larry Dimarzio was personally  custom winding some of those early pickups? This isn't something i wouldnt ask directly of Dimarzio Tech assistance.

I think for his 40th, Larry Dimarzio should make 100 sets of the original Handwound PAf and VS-1 Strat pickups to spec in a limited edition boxed set. Hello L.D...ya listenin??

--- End quote ---

Steve is a real cool guy, and is on many of the DiMarzio patents. Lots of technology goes into giving us the great tones from the line of pickups. I never met Larry, but I would imagine aside from a healthy rivalry they would probably get along pretty good if in a room together.

buddroyce:
I love Steve, he's one of the guys I make sure I meet to see every time I goto NAMM. Although I do believe that in an interview somewhere with Steve Blutcher, he mentioned that he didn't know anything about pickups before he started with DiMarzio. Most of the patents that DiMarzio holds have both Steve's name and Larry's name on it so I'm pretty sure Larry's not just sitting on his ass for the last couple of decades.

Seymour and Larry are both great guys and I'm pretty sure they'd get along real well if they were in the same room together.

RayBarbeeMusic:

--- Quote ---would DiMarzio staff or Duncan staff do that?
--- End quote ---

Eric at DiMarzio did EXACTLY that for me when I wanted some custom Multibuckers made last year.  He dug around for days and could only find 7 circuit boards, Steve wouldn't let him use them because someone else already had dibs unfortunately, but Eric had be me send in some Chopper/FT-1 stock versions and he re-did them with Cruiser Neck/FT-1 like I wanted.  I only paid for the Cruiser Neck coils. 

buddroyce:
Damn now you're making me want some multibuckers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version