Author Topic: Dual humbucker recommendation for Tele...  (Read 3124 times)

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
Dual humbucker recommendation for Tele...
« on: April 09, 2011, 04:12:00 pm »
Hey guys,

Bought this a two days ago, and I'm thinking of replacing the pickups. Not that they are bad, but I think it could be better to suit my needs. First of all, some pics...

Now on to the pickup recommendations. Yes, the bridge pickup is an aftermarket Dimarzio PAF Pro. Nice sounding, but not high output enough for me to get what I want, and the non F spaced is kinda annoying cause the high E string sounds softer than the other strings most of the time. I was actually thinking of a F spaced Dimarzio Mo' Joe in the bridge, and then paired with a Dimarzio PAF Joe in the neck. However, the tone I would like to get is more of a higher output PAF tone from both humbuckers, but when they are split, they can do classic Tele tones the best you can get out of split humbuckers. Anyone willing to give some pointers on what would work???

Offline eggman

• View Profile
Re: Dual humbucker recommendation for Tele...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 10:14:19 pm »
Howdy,

You might consider the 36th Anni PAF for the bridge. It's fairly high output* and sounds good split in the bridge of my 335. It's a "middy" P/U, fwiw. Good luck!

* 8.60K  DC resistance and output of 285 on DiMarzio'a website
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 10:17:03 pm by eggman »

Offline soundgardener75

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 10:40:09 pm »
I'd personally have an Air Zone there. Vintage sounds with a lot of output, and not to mention great pick responsiveness to boot! It's split mode sounds really good too imo.

Just my opinion to consider Bro.

Offline CityofBlindingLights

• *Site Supporter*
  • Global Moderator
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 12:54:30 am »
Dual FREDs in a Tele have always imho been killer.

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 06:08:41 am »
Well, I did try a FRED in the bridge position of a JS1000, and it sounded to me like it needed just a hair more output for what I do. Thus, I'm thinking Mo'Joe might be a good choice. Oh, I did think of getting a Dimarzio 36th anniversary PAF neck in the neck position. But I have tried its coil split sound, and it sounded more like a strat tone than Tele tone. Furthermore, it had quite a substantial drop in volume going from full humbucker to single coil...

Oh, I haven't tried the Air Zone, but I have a Tone Zone. Yes, the former should be more vintage like, but if the coil split is similar to the Tone Zone, then the coil split tone sounds more like a fat strat tone, edging closer to a fat P90 sound more than anything. I think I would want something brighter sounding in the bridge when coil split...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 06:31:19 am by KH Guitar Freak »

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 08:10:06 am »
Actually, I think I'm almost certain on getting a Mo' Joe/PAF Joe combo. Unless someone can convince me otherwise on the tones I'm looking for from these pickups, I shall move on to choose a set of pickup bobbin schemes...

Offline CityofBlindingLights

• *Site Supporter*
  • Global Moderator
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 05:33:50 pm »
Consider putting that PAF Pro in the neck?

Another option: Bluesbucker. Will get you the tele tones, fat P90 tones, and will thicken up nicely with the tone knob.

Offline Luijo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 12:13:24 am »
If you are ruling out the "Zones" because of their split sound not being Tele enough then go with the Norton.
And remember that asymmetrical coils HBs have two different split sounds depending on the active coil when splitting and its orientation in relation to the bridge.
The PAF Pro in the neck is a great idea.

Offline oilpit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 02:17:16 am »
IMO the Fred sounds a lot hotter than the Mo Joe despite being "lower output"

Don't rule out a pickup just because a number isn't high enough for you...you're cheating yourself out of a lot of great pickups.

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 05:57:49 am »
IMO the Fred sounds a lot hotter than the Mo Joe despite being "lower output"

Don't rule out a pickup just because a number isn't high enough for you...you're cheating yourself out of a lot of great pickups.

Whatever it is, the FRED I tried was indeed a tad too low output for me. Steve@Dimarzio recommended me to check out the Norton/36th anniversary PAF neck combo. This could get interesting...