Author Topic: Is iths possible on a Cortek selector?  (Read 9722 times)

Offline nuno

• View Profile
    • Ibanez87.it
Is iths possible on a Cortek selector?
« on: July 13, 2007, 06:49:09 am »
hi guys & Buddroyce, here for another wiring trouble!
this time we have a standard 5-way Cortek, 8 pins in lline, in a HSH config. they asked me if it's possible to wire it up this way:

with a ToneZone, PAF Pro and factory Ibanez S1 2-conductors single-coil (red+white). also, the guy asked if it's possible to add a switch (push/pull, push/push) to split the humbuckers whatever position the selector is on. exactly like the scehem above. wondering if it's possible.

also, can anyone please explain me how the Cortek pins are connected? so, once i've learned this, i could try doing wirings myself, and stop bothering. thanks!

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
Re: Is iths possible on a Cortek selector?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 01:45:55 pm »
It should be possible. If I recall.. I did a post on an alternate use for the Cortek switch and it pretty much gives you that Top combination. If you wanted to just get the single coils cut with the push pull all you'd have to do is wire up a push/pull switch with the black & white wires from the neck and bridge pickups to the middle of the switch and then run it to ground on one side. I'll have to get a wiring diagram out later once I settle in.. (I just got back from the Egnater Seminars in Detroit and for some stupid reason rather than take care of stuff I came here first..)
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline krak_down69

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 07:07:31 pm »
You mean this post on caparisonforum.com?

http://www.caparisonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140

Offline nuno

• View Profile
    • Ibanez87.it
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 02:50:07 am »
thanks Budd! so, according to your post on the Caparison forum, all i have to di is wiring it up the standard fashion, using just the first 4 pins?

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 10:20:53 am »
thanks Budd! so, according to your post on the Caparison forum, all i have to di is wiring it up the standard fashion, using just the first 4 pins?

That would be correct. I found that wiring by accident when I was trying to figure out the switch. The second side is the complicated side but the first side produces a pretty cool(and much more desireable combination). But yeha. just wiring it up like you normall would with the first 4 pins and then just do a standard coil cut wiring on your push/pull pot.
Follow me on Twitter

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 10:35:40 am »
Hey Nuno,

Here's a quick diagram I drew up on the back of a receipt. That's pretty much all you need to do to get that wiring you are looking for. Sorry about the scribbly stuff on the bottom of the push/pull switch. I forgot that you wanted the single coil mode with the push/pull in the up position. So what this will give you is the following:

Push/pull Switch Down:
1. Neck (full)
2. Neck (full) + mid
3. Neck + bridge (full)
4. Bridge (full) + mid
5. Bridge (full)

Push/pull Switch Up:
1. Neck (tapped, inner coil engaged)
2. Neck (tapped) + mid [essentially position 2 on a strat]
3. Neck & bridge (both tapped) [essentially a tele in the middle position or the middle position on a Ibanez JPM]
4. Bridge (tapped) + mid [essentially position 4 on a strat]
5. Bridge (tapped, inner coil engaged)

If you wanted to use the outside coils instead of the inner coils, just replace the red wires with the black ones, then use the red & green ones to the push/pull and ground the white wire with the bare. (that SHOULD be right, if it sounds like it's wired in parallel, let me know)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Follow me on Twitter

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 10:36:54 am »
PS. if you look in the background of that shot, you'll see a set of the new Tremolo Tone Springs from the ESP Custom Lab that I'm testing out.. I'm interested in seeing what they do.
Follow me on Twitter

Offline nuno

• View Profile
    • Ibanez87.it
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 11:55:23 am »
Budd you rule once again!!! i'll try it out and let you know! thanks a hell of a lot!!!

ps: because of you, i'm starting to love selectors...  ;D

Offline 5150

• -=VH=-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 05:22:30 pm »
Budd you rule once again!!! i'll try it out and let you know! thanks a hell of a lot!!!

ps: because of you, i'm starting to love selectors...  ;D

Budd's the man!!

Gotta love the endless possible combinations you can get on a guitar huh? I never knew a stock switch could actually get that kind of wiring.

Offline mr_bluedream

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 12:14:28 am »
BUdd, your hand writing is as bad as mine!! I thought I had chicken scratching!!! Glad to see I'm not alone.!!

Offline tomago

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 10:43:57 am »
Nuno, that is an awesome wiring combo!! Strat sounds, Les Paul sounds and Tele sounds all rolled up into one guitar!!