DimarzioForum.Com > Guitar Lounge

Charvel Pro Mod SO-CAL: How to block tremolo?

(1/5) > >>

acetrouble:
Hi,

I've been wanting to get a Super Strat for quite some months now and I checked out the Charvel Pro Mod SO-CAL Style 1. The guitar looks totally sweet in Ferrari red finish and comes equipped with a Tone Zone bridge and an Evolution neck:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SoCal1FER

However, I have never in my entire life used a tremolo. Even restringing a Floyd Rose-equipped guitar gives me headaches. What's the best way to block a Floyd Rose tremolo? And would it make restringing / tuning as easy as on a hardtail guitar?

At 680 Euros (including case) the Charvel is such a sweet deal! I wouldn't wanna let it pass me by just because I prefer hardtails.

Regards
Ace.

Speeddemon:
I haven't installed mine yet, but this is what you want:

A Floyd Upgrades Trem Stopper.
I actually got the same guitar in white, and bought their 37mm brass block (for more sustain) and that brass trem stopper. Still need to install them though. Right now the trem is stopped by a glued piece of wood on the original trem block. I installed a D-Tuna on it, which requires a dive-only trem stop. It makes tuning way quicker! Not as quick as a real solid bridge guitar, but a lot better than with a full floating trem.

acetrouble:
Thank you for the info! I'll tell my local luthier about that trem stopper, in case he doesn't know about it. If I bought the SO-CAL he'd have to set it up for me either way, cause I play in Eb and use 11-50 gauge strings.

How do you like the SO-CAL Style 1? Do you have the Tone Zone / Evolution combo as well or did you swap it for something different?

Edit: I've just read in your thread that you installed a Norton...

CityofBlindingLights:
Shoving a block of wood that fits *just* right in there also works. It's what Eric Clapton does.

acetrouble:

--- Quote from: CityofBlindingLights on February 24, 2011, 02:36:12 PM ---Shoving a block of wood that fits *just* right in there also works. It's what Eric Clapton does.

--- End quote ---

I hope that makes restringing and tuning a lot easier. I've never used a Floyd Rose before. But the YouTube tutorials on how to maintain one made me realize that I would definitely freak out when having to restring it.

It's a pity that most kick-ass looking 80s style guitars come with Floyds.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version