Author Topic: My Bass Playing Debut  (Read 2699 times)

Offline FeinMusic

• View Profile
    • The Spines
My Bass Playing Debut
« on: December 30, 2010, 11:23:54 am »
http://johnroccesano.com/mp3_downloads/Just_256.mp3

I performed the bass on this song along with the other guitars for my friend because he just sorta wanted to get the bass done in the same session as the guitars and nobody else was around.   In retrospect I could have done a second track of "rhythm" bass along with this very McCartney themed approach I ended up taking because I'm a lead guitarist and improvisational in nature.

Bass was DI into protools, I want to say it's a mid 90s Music Man Stingray model and one of the sweetest things I've ever played.

Guitars were my LP Breed Neck in the bridge for the rhythm/lead tracks and Bluesbucker in the neck for all the solos.  Amp was a Peavey C50 4X10

Acoustic was an Esteban we just had kicking around
Don't tease the octopus, boys and girls!

Offline CityofBlindingLights

• *Site Supporter*
  • Global Moderator
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
Re: My Bass Playing Debut
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 12:52:52 pm »
You did what any good, solid bassist would do - you stuck to the roots for the most part. That's the most important part of solid bass playing.

You did well.

Offline FeinMusic

• View Profile
    • The Spines
Re: My Bass Playing Debut
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 01:56:04 pm »
I had to make a couple judgement calls in some places as my instinct and ear generally tell me to harmonize with other intervals such as the 5th during the chorus to broaden the sound out.  Other than that yeah, the root is very important for bass though the rhythm was largely dominated by guitar so I got to Octopus Garden it a little
Don't tease the octopus, boys and girls!