Dimarzio Area Pickups for Telecaster

• 17 Replies

Chrismo

Dimarzio Area Pickups for Telecaster
« on: July 01, 2010, 07:46:44 PM »
Didn't see much mention about the Area T set from Dimarzio so...

DROP EVERYTHING YOU'RE DOING, AND PULL YOUR TELECASTER PICKUPS OUT OF YOUR TELECASTER NOW.

The Telecaster is my favorite guitar of all time - that's why I'm the most picky about my Tele tone. For the past few years I've been fortunate to own a '68 Paisley reissue. Due to noise issues, I've been rather reluctant to use standard single coils. I've used Duncan, some Dimarzios, even Fender sets and a handwound set from Don Mare. Noiselesswise, I've owned the holy grail - the Gatton set from Joe Barden.

Let me tell you right now - hands down the BEST set I've ever used were the Dimarzio Area Ts.

Where do I begin...the neck pickup is THE neck pickup to have in a Tele. It's got a nice round warmth yet exceptional clarity that can't be beat. It's beautiful. It's warm enough for vintage style blues and jazz, yet it retains enough clarity for pop, rock, and country. It sounds incredible with light distortion and can take you into a whole other universe. Play with the height on this and you'll find your sweet spot.

The bridge - THE BRIDGE. Man, this bridge rocks. It bangs, it twangs. Clean and compressed it brings out a nice '60s Tele sound, yet fuller. With overdrive and distortion this thing hangs with the best vintage humbuckers. Nice, crunchy rock for all your rhythmic needs. My favorite bridge ever - NO ICE PICK.

Someday I hope to try the Area Hot T as it's similar to a Broadcaster/P-90. I had the Virtual Hot T and it was very similar. Awesome for rock and country, especially in an Esquire.

I hope this helps you guys!

Offline Butch Snyder

• View Profile
Re: Dimarzio Area Pickups for Telecaster
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 07:47:50 AM »
I just installed an Area T in the bridge position of my American Series Telecaster.  So far, I like it.  We shall se how it fares....
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 08:11:36 PM by Butch Snyder »
-Butch Snyder

Offline Jerryman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 12:17:08 PM »
I believe you. I personally use a ChopperT  in my bridge, and its got a synergy with an Ash Tele thats very deep and expressive.
Im just loking for a Hot Tele Dimarzio Mini  to put in the neck.
I havent hear the areat's, but the Area Strat set is amazing from the clips Ive heard..so much so I'm thinking of selling my Classic Stacks.
The Norton won't tame anything.  A fantastic pickup, it will make your LP sound like a wild mongoose who is piloting a F-22 raptor and smoking crystal meth

ACH91332

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 11:06:24 AM »
Anyone have any input on the differences between the Area T and the Area T 615? Is the 615 pretty much like an in between of the Area T and Hot T? If it still has the twang of the regular T but with some of the balls of the Hot T that'd be a winner too.

MarvinMealer

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 05:04:21 PM »
I spoke with DiMarzio tech support regarding the Area T 615.  I was told it was a lot like the Twang King minus the hum.  I musts haves my precious!

ACH91332

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 11:40:47 PM »
Well I tried ordering an Area T 615 from Beyond Eleven and that was a nightmare and still is.. First off that thing cost around $100 at that place and I ordered the thing three weeks ago. It's literally been 21 days and my order is still "Processing". Two weeks ago I shot them an email basically asking "Hey what's going on?" in the most polite way possible and I haven't got any sort of reply from them. In the mean time I got an Area Hot T from Musicians Friend and got it in the mail like 3 days later for around $70.. I'm going to call them once the four week mark hits and either make them send the damn thing or give me my money back.

Anywho.. The Area Hot T is a badass pickup. I slapped the Area Hot T in the bridge (duh) of my SX Tele clone and put a VV Heavy Blues 2 in the neck position. Both pickups are fatter and hotter than any other single coils I've used but still sound like single coils. The Hot T sounds like a bigger and punchier Tele Lead. To me it still sounds like a Tele Pickup but with an overwound rudeness. I'm a humbucker guy who likes Telecasters so for me this pickup works out great. The same goes for the VV Heavy Blues 2 in the neck. That is a fatter and hotter single coil but still sounds like a Strat single coil. The best thing about both of this pickups is that they are totally silent. They are quieter than my Nortons and Bluesbuckers. This is my first go with Dimarzio single coils of any type and so far I'm very impressed.

ACH91332

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 08:39:48 PM »
Alright well i got that Area T 615 a week or two ago finally and just today put it in and it twangs so much more than the Area Hot T. The Area Hot T definitely sounds like a Tele but it just was a bit too warm sounding and just wasn't balls out twangy. I only really noticed this when the Area T 615 was in my Tele. IMO if you want some twangy tones for country type stuff but still want some balls to your tone then the Area T 615 is the way to go.

EternalReturn

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 07:45:20 PM »
I had the Area Hot T in my tele for some time.  I agree with the sentiment that it's an overwound, rude tele tone with no hum.  Very nice pickup.  It replaced a Bill Lawrence tele bridge that always seemed a little too midrangey to me.  The Area Hot T never had that problem.  IMO, it had more mids than a typical tele bridge, for sure, but still had tele bridge "twang" to it.  If you play rock or hard rock with your tele, you should definitely check it out. 

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 07:45:28 AM »
I recently scored a Virtual Hot T but have not yet installed it in anything yet. But I got a Tele which has a Firebird pickup in the neck that is just aching for a hotter bridge pickup ... more to come.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 04:20:32 AM »
Where do I begin...the neck pickup is THE neck pickup to have in a Tele. It's got a nice round warmth yet exceptional clarity that can't be beat. It's beautiful. It's warm enough for vintage style blues and jazz, yet it retains enough clarity for pop, rock, and country. It sounds incredible with light distortion and can take you into a whole other universe. Play with the height on this and you'll find your sweet spot.

A big +1 on this.

Yesterday I put the Area T neck into a Telecaster which has a Curtis Novak Tel-HC in the bridge - a split-noiseless single coil (like a Precision Bass pickup). The Area T neck replaced a Lollar Firebird which sounded great in this guitar but overpowered the bridge pickup so I needed something with lower output. Saw an Area T neck on ebay and scored :)

The Firebird will not have to wait long for a new home, though. Just waiting for the adaptor rings to arrive ...

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 09:51:38 AM »
I recently scored a Virtual Hot T but have not yet installed it in anything yet.

I just put together a partscaster tele (ash body, maple neck w/ maple cap, vintage style bridge w/ Kohler stainless steel saddles) and used the Virtual Hot T and the Area T neck, 250k pots and a 4-way-switch, tone cap 0.0033 Orange Drop.

I described the Area T neck earlier as a twangy, clear and really open sounding pickup, and it does it in this guitar, too. Not only is it a bonus that it is so noiseless that I can use it with a 4 gain stage preamp without undue noise but the tone is excellent and I like it better than any non-noiseless pickup I used before (some famous samples among these for sure).

The Virtual Hot T lives up to its name: it has more output that a traditional tele bridge pickup, more like a Broadcaster/Nocaster type pickup. Tonally it's close but has more twang so I would say the twang factor is between a 52 type and a Broadcaster type. If you want a warmer tele tone with good output that does not overpower the neck pickup the Virtual Hot T does it.

Compared to the Chopper T the Virtual Hot T retains more of the typical tele tone than the Chopper T, which leans far more into the PAF humbucker territory. Both very good but different.

Compared to its successor Area Hot T - no idea since I never played the Area Hot T.

Cheers Stephan

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 07:41:28 AM »
If you want a warmer tele tone with good output that does not overpower the neck pickup the Virtual Hot T does it.

I have to modify my verdict on the neck pickup slightly. When I posted the above comment I used it mainly overdriven, and there it works as described. However in a clean amp setting the output is noticeably lower than the bridge pickup so if you want something to better balance with the neck, I guess the regular Area T or Area 615 would be better.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 07:42:32 AM »
BTW: has anybody ever removed the cover of the Area Neck T?

Thanks,
Stephan

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 05:23:56 AM »
I have to modify my verdict on the neck pickup slightly. When I posted the above comment I used it mainly overdriven, and there it works as described. However in a clean amp setting the output is noticeably lower than the bridge pickup so if you want something to better balance with the neck, I guess the regular Area T or Area 615 would be better.

I solved the "problem" by setting the Virtual Hot T lower. This gets a reasonable balance between the two pickups, although it sacrifices some of the "Hot" in the bridge pickup.

Cheers Stephan

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 11:21:19 AM »
Meanwhile I scored an Area T which replaced the Virtual Hot T in this guitar. I like this combination better than the previous one and second everything posted by the OP.

The Virtual Hot T has a new home now: http://www.dimarzioforum.com/forum/index.php/topic,6022.0.html

Cheers Stephan