Author Topic: J158? Evolution neck?  (Read 3171 times)

Offline dvadneau

• View Profile
J158? Evolution neck?
« on: May 21, 2010, 04:56:36 pm »
I've seen a pickup with the Dimarzio stamp on the baseplate and a model number stamp with J158. The person selling the pickup says it's an Evolution neck (DP158) from a "Charvel San Dimas Re-issue circa 1995". Can anyone confirm this? I looked at the FAQ on this site and didn't find any mention of Charvel pickups. I didn't find mention of a J158 at all - I'm sure I've heard of this though...

Offline Whitmore

• This is MADNESS!
    • View Profile
Re: J158? Evolution neck?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 06:11:08 pm »
Email Tech@dimarzio.com

They'll be the experts on the matter. But don't exactly mention that you are buying a used pickup. I find that would be a bit rude.
Grammar Nazi says:
NEVER USE AN APOSTROPHE FOR PLURALISING " ' ", NORMAL "s" IS FINE!

Offline rgdxpn

• View Profile
Re: J158? Evolution neck?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 10:45:32 pm »
Actually I'm someone who can help you.  I have one of those Koa/birdseye USA charvels from the mid 90's, that very guitar actually....that's correct, it's an evo neck.  There should be an F stamped into the opposite side of the bottom of the baseplate as well.  The super 3 that was used in the bridge was labeled J152.  I've sent dimarzio pics of these very pickups and they confirmed it for me.   It's kinda crazy luck that I can help you, there were only 300 or so of the mid 90's USA san dimas 1s, I don't know how many of the rest but no more than 1600 guitars were made in that whole series. 

It's the real deal.  I'm actually restoring my old san dimas and I'm missing the neck pickup(what a coincidence)....if you get it and decide you don't like it, I'll trade a new f-spaced bluesbucker for it, which is a killer pickup.....

Here's what it looks like(a pic of my super3 from the San Dimas)...my evo neck for this guitar is gone sadly.