Author Topic: The Rolling Stones  (Read 9481 times)

Offline Jerryman

• View Profile
The Rolling Stones
« on: March 28, 2010, 09:57:57 pm »
...ARE the worlds greatest rock and roll band.
I don't have any sympathy for anyone who disagrees.
One day there may be another band as great as the Stones. Not in my lifetime and probably not in yours!
The Norton won't tame anything.  A fantastic pickup, it will make your LP sound like a wild mongoose who is piloting a F-22 raptor and smoking crystal meth

Offline CityofBlindingLights

• *Site Supporter*
  • Global Moderator
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
Re: The Rolling Stones
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 12:45:45 pm »
Two words:

The Beatles

Offline wxs3

• Embrace the Madness, The Madness is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 06:14:16 pm »
Two words:

The Beatles

++++1

and I would add the Jimi Hendrix Experience, he's been gone for almost or over 40 years and his music still rocks.   I heard Watchtower, Purple Haze, Hey Joe, Little Wing, Voodo Chile (slight return) today on the radio and that's only the first 3 albums.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 06:18:30 pm by wxs3 »
My first aftermarket pickup was a Super Distortion back in the 70's.  I strayed and tried Rio Grandes, Duncans, and EMGs only to come back to Dimarzio.  Funny were life takes you.

Offline Jerryman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 06:14:51 pm »
Know what youtr saying guys, andThe Beatles are the greatetst of all time, but thats for songwriting and albums  .For a stage act- just the complete Rock Package in its entirety, I stand by my OP.
The Stones are still the worlds Greatest Rock N' Roll band. Have some of you younger guys seen them when they wrere about your age?? Magnificent!;

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&oi=video_result&cad=9052521873744372800&ct=res&cd=1&ved=0CAkQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DfaEEro38pEA&ei=aQK9S4WwJYG78gbLlPHACQ&usg=AFQjCNGUNm4YGoq2je9zieVzTdBrk_1vaA&sig2=Xavswll8zK0rdjd9DzJxAw
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 06:24:34 pm by jerryjg »
The Norton won't tame anything.  A fantastic pickup, it will make your LP sound like a wild mongoose who is piloting a F-22 raptor and smoking crystal meth

• *Site Supporter*
  • Global Moderator
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 12:13:31 am »
Ha, I've still got some time before I'm that age...

I'm not saying they're bad, I just think it's difficult to define the "best" rock and roll band of all time. As great as that is, I'm a bigger fan of Jeff Beck's early stuff. Listen to "Truth," and you'll hear some of the most smokin' blues rock of all time.

But that's my opinion.

Offline wxs3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 09:01:04 am »
I saw the Stones on Ed Sullivan along with the Beatles, the Dave Clark 5, Eric Burton and the Animals, the Who and countless others.  To me at that time, the Beatles had a little more creativity than the Stones, but everything changed forever on 6-18-1967.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpT_D5v7fho
My first aftermarket pickup was a Super Distortion back in the 70's.  I strayed and tried Rio Grandes, Duncans, and EMGs only to come back to Dimarzio.  Funny were life takes you.

Offline alfaromeo90

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 03:53:47 pm »
Yes, the 1960's had so many "everything changed" moments, they were coming thick and fast thanks to the fantastic artistes.  For instance everything changed July 15 1966, when the Yardbirds released "Roger the Engineer" and Jeff Beck invented fuzzed, psychedelic blues rock guitar.  6 months before Cream and a full year before Hendrix.  A few years later he invented the prototype for 70's heavy rock with Truth and Beckola.  Bit of a pattern emerging here? 
"What'll it be?"
"I'll have a PAF Pro please....ahh geez, make it a double."

• *Site Supporter*
  • Global Moderator
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 06:33:22 pm »
Yes, the 1960's had so many "everything changed" moments, they were coming thick and fast thanks to the fantastic artistes.  For instance everything changed July 15 1966, when the Yardbirds released "Roger the Engineer" and Jeff Beck invented fuzzed, psychedelic blues rock guitar.  6 months before Cream and a full year before Hendrix.  A few years later he invented the prototype for 70's heavy rock with Truth and Beckola.  Bit of a pattern emerging here? 

And then a few years after that he invented the prototype for fusion and funk with Blow By Blow.

Offline Jerryman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 06:39:10 pm »
Fer Christssake guys, I wasnt arguing anything to the contrary of what anyone has said, just that the Stones were the greatest Rock Band.. , which they are... ;D
On second thought, you'd have to possibly include Ozzy in a tie! ..well, not  'Ozzy in a tie '..d'oh, you know what i mean!!  :madness:
OBTW..you guys mention "Beck". He is a great, without question, however I'd say Clapton is far more influential in the overall sphere of things.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 08:18:59 pm by jerryjg »

Offline wxs3

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 10:18:17 pm »

And then a few years after that he invented the prototype for fusion and funk with Blow By Blow.

First of all, I hope no one gets pissed at me, I'm enjoying this conversation and I agree with the statement that somethings were done 6 mos to a year before Hendrix by Beck and Clapton.  However, Hendrix took it in a new direction and still to this day has influenced numerous guitarist 40 plus years after death.  You won't see Beck, Clapton, or the Stones have this effect.  Here's what Baker, Bruce, and Chandler had to say about Jimi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t4qXH_YaBs&NR=1

Offline Jerryman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 10:39:14 pm »
Agreed Hendrix was IS the single most infleuntial guitar player of the Millenium. Yet, is he the most influential a
:"Artiste"? No, you'd have to give that to John Lennon I think.
As far as greatetst band, Stones take it, ahead of Ozzy fro metal and Zepplin for Classic rock., AcDC, then the British Who etc.
As far as Individual guitarists, its definitly Clapton in 2nd place behind Hendrix, then probably Page.
Id say
Artists;
  Lennon
Hendrix
Morrison
Maccartney

Guitarists;
 Hendrix
Clapton
Page
Beck
 Gilmour
Townsend
Angus Young

Bands
Beatles
Stones
Zepplin
Floyd
Who
AC/DC

Ozzy for metal,then  maiden, metallica
 (

This is totally off the cuff. :madness:)

I aint even getting into post modern stuff. Clearly Van Helen ranks just outside the originals, along with a host of other great solists bands and artists..
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 10:43:14 pm by jerryjg »

• *Site Supporter*
  • Global Moderator
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 01:15:33 am »

First of all, I hope no one gets pissed at me, I'm enjoying this conversation and I agree with the statement that somethings were done 6 mos to a year before Hendrix by Beck and Clapton.  However, Hendrix took it in a new direction and still to this day has influenced numerous guitarist 40 plus years after death.  You won't see Beck, Clapton, or the Stones have this effect.  Here's what Baker, Bruce, and Chandler had to say about Jimi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t4qXH_YaBs&NR=1

I'm not denying Hendrix's awesomeness, just pointing out how underrated Jeff Beck is.

To me, there will never be a group/band better than the Beatles and no guitarist better than Hendrix.

Offline bzzdog

• View Profile
    • youtube page
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 12:32:11 am »
Interesting stuff. Best rock n roll band... Yeah hard to beat the Stones :) most influencial is a real toughy... two sides i guess. the artist that is widely known as influencial versus the artist that influenced the widely known influencial artist. fun! :D perhaps a new thread? ::)

Offline alfaromeo90

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 03:52:48 am »
One problem here is that we're influenced by documentaries and writing usually done by non-guitarists which have their own agenda.  On the other hand some of the evaluations done by guitarists who take to writing tend to be a bit too technically minded and forget a bit that a guitarist is still playing music to be enjoyed.  Noone remembers Beethoven nowadays for his prowess as a pianist (famous at the time).  In simpler terms we are influenced by non guitarists who aren't good at seeing the trees, and guitarists who aren't good at seeing the forest. 
"What'll it be?"
"I'll have a PAF Pro please....ahh geez, make it a double."

Offline bzzdog

• View Profile
    • youtube page
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 04:10:57 am »
One problem here is that we're influenced by documentaries and writing usually done by non-guitarists which have their own agenda.  On the other hand some of the evaluations done by guitarists who take to writing tend to be a bit too technically minded and forget a bit that a guitarist is still playing music to be enjoyed.  Noone remembers Beethoven nowadays for his prowess as a pianist (famous at the time).  In simpler terms we are influenced by non guitarists who aren't good at seeing the trees, and guitarists who aren't good at seeing the forest. 

i feel you there. true true - - -
hehe trees.