Author Topic: Super Distorion Magnet Swap  (Read 1154 times)

Offline wjombat

• View Profile
Super Distorion Magnet Swap
« on: March 25, 2010, 11:33:41 pm »
Anyone try it?  How did it go?

Offline wxs3

• Embrace the Madness, The Madness is Good
    • View Profile
Re: Super Distorion Magnet Swap
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 09:17:09 am »
I haven't done it, but I saw someone on youtube swap out an Alnico 5 mag in a paf pro with a ceramic and is sounded like a super d lite.  So I would imagine if you did it with a super d, it would sound like a suped up paf pro.  ihmo
My first aftermarket pickup was a Super Distortion back in the 70's.  I strayed and tried Rio Grandes, Duncans, and EMGs only to come back to Dimarzio.  Funny were life takes you.

Offline Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 02:48:41 am »
I have tried a mag swap in a super 2. I found the super 2 in the neck just too similar to a super D in the bridge. So I swapped in a A5 and did the VV mod and it worked great. Nice hot growly neck with a bit of a paf flavour.

I have not tried a mag swap for a super D, becuase I really like the super D. I have one wired for coil swap though which tames it quite nicely.

Offline frankfalbo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 11:10:44 am »
I wouldn't. That pickup is such a delicate balance of everything. Inductance, magnetic circuit, coil wind, etc. There's a reason it sounds the way it does. I'm sure someone can tell a success story about it, maybe Alnico 8 would be an overall improvement now that I think about it, but I think with A5 or A2 you'll have lost all the character.

As for the PAF Pro = Super 2, they're pretty similar winds, they're going to emulate one another if you swap magnets, aside from the pole piece differences. I have a PAF Pro/Super 2 hybrid I like quite a bit in my 24 fret RG. But the inverse is not true. A5 in the original Super Distortion won't make for a beefier PAF Pro kind of sound.

Offline Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 12:25:12 am »
Frank, are you sure that the super 2 and paf pro are similar winds?

I dont hear much paf pro in my A5 super 2, especially that vowel/wah sound the paf pro is known for, although I did the VV mod as well so maybe cancelled some of it out.

Offline oilpit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 03:33:04 am »
I think they actually might be the exact same wind, possibly just a few extra turns on the Super 2

On Dimarzio.com it says that the PAF Pro reads 8.4k and the Super 2 at 8.7, and DC resistance can easily change based on a million and one variables, so it easily could be the same exact coils, one with an Alnico 5 and one with a massive Ceramic