Wiring schematics and stuff

• 36 Replies

Offline egynd

• View Profile
Wiring schematics and stuff
« on: February 18, 2010, 06:41:58 PM »
Okay, here goes. Since there is so many (myself included) , that need wiring diagrams and help with wiring, I thought I`d start a thread and get the most basic wiring diagrams. I`ll be adding the one for a regular Gibson les paul, Fender Strat , Some different Ibanez, and conversions between the different 3 way switches. I know there are many on Seymour forum and on Ibanez and all that , but would it not have been good to just go in here and get it, instead of rambeling through a lot of sites and MAYBE find the one you want?

So I am collecting some of the regulare ones now, and please just say what schematic you may think is most used , and I`ll collect and post here:)

Here is  a start atleast

« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 06:50:27 PM by egynd »

Offline CityofBlindingLights

• *Site Supporter*
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
Re: Wiring schematics and stuff
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 12:41:14 AM »
Not a bad idea at all...

Bud, consider either stickying or moving to "Everything You Wanted To Know About..." section?

zenmindbeginner

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 11:55:19 AM »
Awesome idea dude. Keep throwin' em down! We can't ever have enough pickup wiring schematics...

Offline egynd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 07:16:58 PM »
ok.. im trying to gather some schematics, but since there are so many, i thought maybe i should take the general ones.

is there any spesific Schematic that I should remember? like the 2 hum 1 vol 1 ton 3 way switch and so on...

Offline ztevie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 11:30:21 PM »
No offense, but won't it be kind of overwhelming to put so much schematics in one thread? And when it has grown to a few pages it'll be very hard to search for what you need...
It's much easier if this thread could contain links to wiring resources instead that could be complied together in the first post as they come?
Like: http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiringresources/

If I'd spend one day collecting pics of different wiring I would be able to find several thousands of them...

Offline egynd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 10:48:36 AM »
hm yeah that may be better  :P ok. so ill collect  most of the links i have and put them on here.

trev27

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 07:57:09 AM »
Hes mine on a Ibanez RG1570

Offline FeinMusic

• View Profile
    • The Spines
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 01:20:31 PM »
4 pole 4 position rotary

[attachment deleted by admin]
Don't tease the octopus, boys and girls!

Offline tonejam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 10:34:50 PM »
Hi folks,
            I have a 3 pickup Tele.
                         Air Norton S(neck)  Chopper, Fast Track 2. Currently Using 3 way switch giving standard Tele options (mid pickup not affected) .
                             Push pull tone pot turns mid  PUP on/off.
                            Push pull Volume pot splits bridge Pup.

Since Volume pot is starting to fail, I'm thinking its time to renew pots, switches etc.

I'm open to suggestions. Can you give me some cool ways to wire this up?  I need to keep the neck + bridge option.

Thanks in advance!  Bill.

Offline egynd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 09:55:08 AM »
Well it depends on what sounds you want. you could get at superswitch and split the heck out of  the pickups ;)

Offline ztevie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 09:57:41 AM »
OK, I can contribute with a pretty difficult one that I made up myself. I just copy it from a thread I made over at Seymour so just replace the color codes with DiMarzio's... Lots of possibilities here. I use it myself right now in a Vandenberg 2nd edition with a Anderson HN3 in the bridge and a Chopper in the neck...

I have only room for three switches/pots/pup selector etc in my newly aquired Peavey Vandenberg...
But I like to have plenty of tonal options in a guitar, but don't want to do any wood chopping on this one, so I have been sitting down trying to work out a nice way to achieve that.
So with only 3 components for me to use I ended up with the 4pdt, for example Dimarzio EP1111. A on-on-on switch with 12 lugs instead of the 2pdt's 6. Give some more options...

So in this guitar with 2 humbuckers I will use:
A) 1 volume with a push-pull. The pushpull will only be active choosing series/parallel in middle position of the 2nd 4pdt. Otherwise it will not matter what position the pushpull has, it is, so to speak, out of the circuit.
B) 1 4pdt to choose series/split/parallel for both pickups at the same time.
C) 1 4pdt to select bridge/both/neck pickup. It will also use some lugs to achieve a few things besides choosing pup.

As you see I have only one volume and no tone, which is fine by me, but of course there's no problem to use more pots if you have room for that...

I am really a beginner of wiring diagrams, so there should be other, simpler ways to do what I do here. And I really hope I've got everything right, I've been checking a number of times, so I hope I didn't mess it up when doing this diagram in Photoshop, taken from the pen and paper diagram I wrote up earlier.
There should be no wires "hanging loose" on the +-side, no dead positions and everything that needs to be grounded should be... I hope!:smash:
I haven't soldered this yet so it's not tested in real life, I hope someone don't follow this and get pissed if it don't work out? I will try this very thing soon...

Important to know, is that I haven't considered magnet polarity and winding here, so one humbucker needs to swap some wires to have hum-cancelling and in phase. If this is done right, 10 of this 12 options should be in phase and humcancelling. 2 can not be, since they are coil split alone.
I am really not interested in out-of-phase, so for me, I think this is all I need.
PushPull is supposed to work as this DPDT on/on:

And the 4pdt should work as this 4pdt on/on/on type 2:

So, what options will I have here:

4pdt #1 position 1
4pdt #2, position 1: Bridge series
4pdt #2, position 2, P/P pushed: Bridge series (in series with) Neck series
4pdt #2, position 2, P/P pulled: Bridge series (in parallel with) Neck series
4pdt #2, position 3: Neck series

4pdt #1 position 2
4pdt #2, position 1: Bridge split
4pdt #2, position 2, P/P pushed: Bridge split (in series with) Neck split
4pdt #2, position 2, P/P pulled: Bridge split (in parallel with) Neck split
4pdt #2, position 3: Neck split

4pdt #1 position 3
4pdt #2, position 1: Bridge parallel
4pdt #2, position 2, P/P pushed: Bridge parallel (in series with) Neck parallel
4pdt #2, position 2, P/P pulled: Bridge parallel (in parallel with) Neck parallel
4pdt #2, position 3: Neck parallel

Offline tonejam

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 09:17:26 AM »
Hi Everyone,
     Here's a wiring setup I'm currently using, and enjoying a lot. It's for a singlecoil/singlecoil/humbucker configuration. Uses a 5way switch and 2 push/pull pots.
     It came about because I like the slug coil of my humbucker in single coil mode, when using the pickup on its own, but in combination with the middle pickup, the screw coil is better for Strat "quack". This setup allows you to choose either, as well as the bridge PUP in series, or in parallel. Took me a long time to work out, but it was worth it!
     The switch on the volume control started out as a master OFF/ON for the bridge pickup, while originally, the tone control switch was a coil split. If you basically think of them like that, it makes it a little easier to work out what's going on, but I've written down all the setting options.
               Hope you give it a try! Cheers, Bill (Tonejam).

[attachment deleted by admin]

SullyB74

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 04:22:01 AM »
I suppose this is the best place to ask this question. 

I have a Squier 51 in which I have installed an Air Zone in the bridge position and in the neck position I have installed a Fast Track 1 instead of another single coil.  The controls are a push-pull volume control knob that is push-pull to make the bridge pickup a single coil and a three-way knob instead of a toggle switch to select either the bridge pickup alone, both pickups at once, or the neck pick up alone.   I am not astisfied with the sound, but I know that the two pickups sound great together because these are the pickups used in one model of Page Hamilton's signature guitar. 

I think that I have not taken into account that the Fast Track is a humbucker and that I may have caused the sound problem by not wiring the guitar right.  Which wiring schematic found on the Dimarzio site would be the best one to follow in order to rectify this problem?

Ape Factory

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 07:22:43 AM »
Here's the wiring schematic for adding a Dimarzio noise canceling single coil along with two Dimarzio humbuckers into an Ibanez S5470.  The stock 5-2ay switch must be swapped out for an Ibanez VLX91 5-way switch which can be found at http://www.ibanezrules.com/parts.htm.

cmmcnamara

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 08:21:20 PM »
That last diagram is the setup I'm trying to pull off on my Ibanez RG370 but I have the Dimarzio 5-way multipole switch. Will it still work wired like this without the Ibanez VLX91 switch?