Direct mounting...

• 11 Replies

Strangeman86

Direct mounting...
« on: July 24, 2018, 04:37:09 PM »
Just curious what folks' experiences are with direct mounting vs mounting rings?  Also, what method of mounting did you use?

Offline greenlion

• View Profile
Re: Direct mounting...
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 10:34:14 PM »
I've never seen any evidence that it makes a difference in tone, but I don't like direct mount because I swap out pickups so much. A few changes and you could have stripped the mounting holes in the body wood. I've worked on a couple of guitars where someone stripped the holes out, tried it install bigger screws to compensate, and ended up with the screw poking through the finish on the back of the body. If you don't plan to change pickups as often as I do, it may not matter.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 03:15:39 AM »
Difficult to tell whether the mounting style alone makes a difference as I have never tried this on the same guitar with the same pickup. For purposes of practicality I am with greenlion.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline LarsH

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 04:09:06 AM »
I use PMS mounting system on my guitars.  Expensive but worth it to me!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Strangeman86

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 07:05:17 AM »
Greenlion if I hadn't discovered the Norton I probably wouldn't have messed with it (that pickup just WORKS in my guitar, wish I'd tried it a year ago).  I had debated on how to even accomplish it and ended up using a method I found on a google image search where an individual got the idea to take an old and unused pickup frame of the same size, mounted it to the body of the guitar and then ran screws through the tabs of both frames (I had to file off the threads at the top of each screw so they'd spin freely as I adjusted the height of the pickup; the springs keep it from falling down).  I had seriously considered the PMS but didn't have the extra $50 at the time (but I did have a bare pickup frame).  I feel like there might be a 2-5% difference in the sound my guitar makes, but that may simply be in my head.

Offline Shooweri

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 07:08:21 AM »
I don't think that direct mounting affects the tone that much. I've guitars that have pickup rings, direct mounted and pickguard mounted pickups and personally like the direct mounting the best. They're easiest to do pickup mods (magnet swaps ect) and I like how they look.

I've gone 6 sets of pickups in last few months on my PGM301 which have them direct mounted. Screw holes tend to strip every now and then but it isn't really a problem, it can be fixed with toothpicks and superglue. I highly suggest filling the holes and using same screws that were installed in the guitar if it happens.
-Warmoth Telecaster w/ Fender AVRI '52(B), Custom Strat(M), Flat '52(N)
-Ibanez RGD2127FX w/ Duncan Pegasus(B) & Sentient(N)
-Ibanez PGM301 w/ Duncan Perpetual Burn(B), SSL-1(M),  Air Norton(N)
-Squier Classic Vibe 60's Stratocaster w/ Tonerider City Limits
-Tokai LSS-47 w/ Kent Armstrong StealthP90

Offline DarthPhineas

• View Profile
    • Darth Phineas Guitar Gear Reviews
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 02:52:21 PM »
Have some that are direct and some that are in rings. As often as I’m swapping to try out new products, I prefer the rings. Even so, I’m not so sure of a difference.

As for EVH and his direct mount claims, I’d be interested if someone dug up the #s on how many Lesters and Strats are heard on the radio and on award-winning songs and on songs we all see on Top 10 lists. People can use what works for them and it all seems to work out fine.
Gear Reviews   |  Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Instagram

Offline LarsH

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 06:01:44 AM »
The difference in tone is not that big actually.And in a band situation i dont hear much difference. However,it is a very solid way to direct mount pickups in a guitar + you dont destroy the thread in the pickups either wich is good if you want to replace and sell old pickups.
I have two Kiesel guitars that has Dimarzio AT-1 and Bluesbuckers + The PMS system and it works and looks great. :D
Very expensive though.  :-\

Offline Orkhan Julfa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 01:08:05 PM »
No! There can't be difference in sound. Electro-magnetic pickups hear only ferromagnetic metal (metal that can be attracted by magnet) strings vibration. So acoustic vibration of wood can't be heard directly by pickups.
BUT!!! Too strong wood vibrations can vibrate pickup's winding which causing microphonic feedback effect and ear piercing squiking sound.

I use both type of mountings. Just cosmetical and adjustment difference.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 01:09:59 PM by Orkhan Julfa »

Offline sveto

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 01:52:29 PM »
No, you're wrong. It's simple physics. Electromagnetic pickups "hear" the spacial variations that happen between the magnetic field and the ferromagnetic material (strings). So, if you move the pickup instead of the string, you still get a signal in the pickup.

Now, do you think that only the strings vibrate, and the body of an electric guitar does not? I give you a hint: Why do you hear yourself through the amp when you scream against the pickups? And it's not the strings that resonate with your scream, because they lack the physical volume.

Offline Orkhan Julfa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2018, 07:51:27 AM »
I am not wrong and you too. I know what are you talking about and you are right. I just tried to explain more simple.
But still pickup can't hear wood vobration directly. Wood is not a ferromagnetic. But its vibrations forcing pickup to vibrate too. It vibrates relatively strings as you said and its winding vibrates too.

Offline sveto

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 02:06:17 PM »
OK, i see. BTW modern pickups like most DiMarzios are heavily pottet and the windings are practically free of microphonics.