Author Topic: Pickup comparision  (Read 24569 times)

Offline BeckerRomeo92

• View Profile
Pickup comparision
« on: January 25, 2010, 06:48:35 pm »
What are the similarities and differences between Norton, Breed Bridge, Mo Joe's, Air Zone, AT-1 and Seymour Duncan JB?

Offline CityofBlindingLights

• *Site Supporter*
  • Global Moderator
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
Re: Pickup comparision
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 07:17:18 pm »
They're all different pickups altogether.

For a full-on description of the Norton, please check out the Everything You Wanted To Know About... section.

Breed Bridge is crunchy, fat, warm, and juicy, but also very tame. And a tight low end, too. It'll do anything you want it to do, in the manner you want it to, but sometimes it can feel a touch... controlled. It does do metal very well, but there are times when you wish it'd just let loose a bit, you know what I mean?

Mo' Joe has strong, driving mids, great harmonics, is really nice and throaty. If you've played a FRED, it's like one of those but with less sear and more growl. Growly and harmonics is a great way to describe it.

Air Zone is fat, full, thick, rich, meaty, and yet at the same time very classy and smooth. It can unleash all hell when you want it to, but roll back the gain and it's a beautifully lush pickup. It's got a really fat low end, but that doesn't mean it ain't got top end.

AT-1 is somewhat similar to the Tone Zone, but with a slightly tighter low end and a bit more top end. It's a touch crunchier, too. I haven't had TOO much experience with this pickup, but from what I played, I liked. Smooth, versatile, and yet still raw enough to do what you want it to.

JB is the classic crunchy hot-rodded strat tone. Bright, cutting, present (some people say nasaly, it's got some harsh upper mids that can make it unpleasant on the ear), brash, and powerful, and with that classic hot-wound humbucker tone. I personally like it a lot, it's in my top 5 favorite pickups.

Offline BeckerRomeo92

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 12:14:53 am »
thank you very much COBL that review is awesome!

Which of those pickups would suit better for versatile, modern, articulate and dynamic sound for progressive/technnical and solo/shredding oriented music. A good pickupfor clean and clear sound, tonal control under high gain while shreddin and doing some high-level guitar tecnniques (speed picking, legato, tapping, sweeps).

I want a lot of note definition, sustain, headroom, dynamics. I dont want bright, harsh, ice picky. I do want harmonics, punch and juicy sound

Offline oilpit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 02:05:23 am »
For that I would recommend the Mo Jo, it will give you all the articulation of the JB, with none of the "ice pick" high end that many people complain about.

The JB is also a great pickup for shredding, but it sounds like you will doing a lot of very fast playing, and I have found that a lot of the JB's charm lies in the sustained notes, it is very "juicy" sounding though

Offline alfaromeo90

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 03:48:49 am »
FRED
"What'll it be?"
"I'll have a PAF Pro please....ahh geez, make it a double."

Offline Whitmore

• This is MADNESS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 05:32:33 am »
Actually I would say that the Norton would probably be best here.

If not that then look into the Zone pickups.
Grammar Nazi says:
NEVER USE AN APOSTROPHE FOR PLURALISING " ' ", NORMAL "s" IS FINE!

• *Site Supporter*
  • Global Moderator
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 01:12:51 pm »
thank you very much COBL that review is awesome!

Which of those pickups would suit better for versatile, modern, articulate and dynamic sound for progressive/technnical and solo/shredding oriented music. A good pickupfor clean and clear sound, tonal control under high gain while shreddin and doing some high-level guitar tecnniques (speed picking, legato, tapping, sweeps).

I want a lot of note definition, sustain, headroom, dynamics. I dont want bright, harsh, ice picky. I do want harmonics, punch and juicy sound

My first instinct said Steve's Special, but punch and juicy made me think Air Zone. Also take a look at the D Sonic, with the bar facing the neck (as installing it the other way around yields a VERY different sound).

Offline BeckerRomeo92

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 01:23:56 pm »
For that I would recommend the Mo Jo

FRED

Actually I would say that the Norton would probably be best here.

My first instinct said Steve's Special, but punch and juicy made me think Air Zone. Also take a look at the D Sonic, with the bar facing the neck

THIS IS INSANE!

• *Site Supporter*
  • Global Moderator
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 01:25:55 pm »
Heh, welcome to the :madness:

Offline BeckerRomeo92

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 01:39:33 pm »
 :madness:  to you too my fellow beings!

Ok here's the thing. I really don't like that much Satch's tone for what I'm looking for on my project. My previous project consisted in a Ibanez S570B with D Sonic bridge, True Velvet Middle and Liquifire neck. I prefer this combo for drop tunnings and more rythm guitar.

This project is more oriented to standard tunnings and lead guitar. The guitar already has a Seymour Duncan JB and two Hot Rails but I dont like the sound.

I've narrow the options and the participants are Breed Bridge, Norton and Steve Special

Offline alfaromeo90

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 11:26:18 pm »
Not my genre really, but i don't associate the Breed with "articulate and dynamic" and i don't perceive Steve's Special as "punchy and juicy" and i wouldn't think the harmonics are too great on the Steve's Special either and boosting the mids gives you those wild artificial harmonics.  I suppose then that leaves me with the Norton. 
"What'll it be?"
"I'll have a PAF Pro please....ahh geez, make it a double."

Offline BeckerRomeo92

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 12:44:46 am »
Ok if you take punchy and juicy out of the equation what could be the options? I do want good harmonics but it shouldn't be the main characteristic.

Offline Whitmore

• This is MADNESS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 01:01:05 am »
Ok if you take punchy and juicy out of the equation what could be the options? I do want good harmonics but it shouldn't be the main characteristic.

We'll youre left with the Steve Special. But i would say its pretty much shred only with that pickup, not lead.
Grammar Nazi says:

Offline BeckerRomeo92

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 01:42:08 am »
Ok are you sure SS would suit the best for the guitar and my requirements?

Offline Whitmore

• This is MADNESS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 01:45:35 am »
Ok are you sure SS would suit the best for the guitar and my requirements?

To be honest, nope.

You asked for juice, punch, clarity and harmonics. With the SS you've cut out a lot of those. In my opinion if you go with the Steve's Special all youre gunna be left with is clarity.

Go with the Norton man.
Grammar Nazi says: