Author Topic: Arthritis  (Read 4801 times)

Offline FeinMusic

• View Profile
    • The Spines
Arthritis
« on: January 18, 2010, 03:48:11 pm »
I was officially pronounced arthritic in my right elbow.  I'm a Hemophiliac and while I wont go into detail here on what that is I will say Patrick Droney and I know eachother well because of it.  I've had a problem with that elbow for 5 years but it never effected my playing until about october and it was part of why I quit The Spines.  Now I have it confirmed that the joint is damaged from internal bleeding and as a 21 year old rocker it really kicks my pride in the crotch.  While I work on recovering I'd like to ask for any advice my fellow players can offer me to minimize strain on my arm because like a lot of you guitar is my religion and my sanity.  Thank you all for whatever insight you may have
Don't tease the octopus, boys and girls!

Offline alfaromeo90

• View Profile
Re: Arthritis
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 04:42:12 pm »
Sorry to learn of that.  A badly arthritic person told me that drinking lots of water every day helps.  In fact that tip is good for everyone.  Also, deer velvet pills are believed by some to help.  I've had mixed feedback on those but why not try it?

Does your elbow hurt more bent or straight?  You may need to adjust your strap length and strumming hand playing style.
"What'll it be?"
"I'll have a PAF Pro please....ahh geez, make it a double."

Offline FeinMusic

• View Profile
    • The Spines
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 04:59:10 pm »
Lowering my strap made things immensely better.  It doesnt hurt in one position more than the other but going between them is a bitch.  I adapted my playing style years ago to come more from the wrist as well

Offline CityofBlindingLights

• *Site Supporter*
  • Global Moderator
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 02:27:49 am »
That sucks man, as does hemophelia. Hope you can keep on rocking! And feel better as well, health is always the most important thing besides family.

Les Paul once shattered his left (fretting) elbow, and he had doctors set it at a 90 degree angle just so he could play. Don't worry man, it is possible.

Check with your doctor, they'll probably have the best advice no matter what; you can't beat four years of medical school, at least four years of residency, and years of medical experience when it comes to medical advice.

Offline FeinMusic

• View Profile
    • The Spines
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 06:50:21 am »
There's no way retiring is an option I'd even briefly entertain.  If anything I just used it as an excuse to get away from an asshole lead singer.   I'm playing my first show in months at the Crossroads in Garwood next Thursday with my new group so if I'm gonna f*ck up my arm I might as well f*ck it up playing the music that comes to me naturally  :madness: :madness: :madness: :madness:

Offline Jerryman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 08:38:21 pm »
There's no way retiring is an option I'd even briefly entertain.  If anything I just used it as an excuse to get away from an asshole lead singer.   I'm playing my first show in months at the Crossroads in Garwood next Thursday with my new group so if I'm gonna f*ck up my arm I might as well f*ck it up playing the music that comes to me naturally  :madness: :madness: :madness: :madness:

I think thats not a good attitude. To me it seems defeatist, although I understand your sentiment.
NO, raise your guitar high on your chest( about where I play it). get a sling for the ellbow maybe, and then maybe even  wrap your wrist. You may not be doing any windmilling, but the  wrist intensive  technique you learn over time can compensate for the theatrics of pick slides  and other  elbow joint intensive work.
Take it easy, and play the cards that have been dealt to you.
A few years down the road you may have an understanding of subtle wrist techniques  over the pickups and on the high fretbaord  that others may never have.
Look, I do undersatnd how aweful it must be, casue I myself love to work and grind to manhnadle the guitar and that of cousrse requires a lot of "elbow grease", however at the same time, we have to work within our limitations, and for you to suggest you are going to blow your arm out in one last blaze of glory is really a bad idea.
After age 60, we all develop arthritis, some more than others, so att some point you have to slow down anyway.
I don;t know what else to tell you , except don't give up the ship.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 08:44:24 pm by jerryjg »
The Norton won't tame anything.  A fantastic pickup, it will make your LP sound like a wild mongoose who is piloting a F-22 raptor and smoking crystal meth

Offline FeinMusic

• View Profile
    • The Spines
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 10:05:59 pm »
Jerryjg thank you for the kind words.  I lower the strap not so I can use my elbow more but so I can keep it extended in a position that lets me put more force into my wrist attack without straining my elbow to get the windup