The Breed

• 31 Replies

MarvinMealer

Re: The Breed
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 12:22:51 AM »
The problem I'm having is that there are too many awesome DiMarzio pickups and not enough guitars...  I started out looking at a Norton and 36 Ann PAF, then looked at the new Gravity Storm pups, then looked at the Breed, and then I saw someone suggest Crunch Lab/Liquifire. 

I wish  I knew what I wanted.   ???

Offline Commander Chaos

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 05:33:36 PM »
All of them will sound great, just a matter of personal preference.

Offline Speeddemon

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 09:33:10 AM »
so the Breed would be very good for Rock/Hard Rock.

Yeah, if you don't need much highs, or your guitar is excessively bright. The breed is very warm with lots of midrange cut, not a whole lot of treble.
What he said, and it can't be said enough!
In use: 13x DiMarzio (7 gtrs), 7x Duncan (3 gtrs).
Got preference? ;)

Offline Speeddemon

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 03:46:49 PM »
Cool discovery today:
The Breed neck, when coil-split, has amazing mojo! Like a Texas Special singlecoil type of tone.
Beefy and jangly at the same time.  8)

I wasn't overly fond of the Breed neck's high-end when it was in my medium/bright Charvel So Cal neck position (alder body, maple neck and fretboard), but since I put it in my all-mahogany Gibson Flying V (ebony fretboard), it rules! Like a beefy Air Norton tone, and like the Air Norton it splits asymmetrically, which means more output, compared to an evenly split pickup.
Got preference? ;)

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2014, 07:01:53 AM »
Another Breed bridge player here.

I use it in a Korean made Brian Moore iM, which is a very very bright guitar. It came stock with a SD JB and Alnico II Pro Neck pickups which I first replaced with a Tone Zone in the bridge and an Air Norton in the neck. Later I replaced the Tone Zone with the Breed bridge. It gave the guitar a fat midrange coupled with a weighty low end and enough definition in the high end. In addition the Breed is not fizzy in this guitar, which came as a pleasant surprise since I had it in a strat before where it had a bit of that slight fizz on top of the notes. Not in this guitar. Its output was not much less compared to the Tone Zone. It cleans up well enough so the hot output is not a problem in any way.

I like it better than the Air Norton in the neck position so I hope that somebody is going to post something about the Breed neck when used in the neck position.

Cheers Stephan
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 09:20:55 AM by darkbluemurder »
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline Speeddemon

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2014, 02:03:29 PM »
Another Breed bridge player here.

I use it in a Korean made Brian Moore i3, which is a very very bright guitar. It came stock with a SD JB and Alnico II Pro Neck pickups which I first replaced with a Tone Zone in the bridge and an Air Norton in the neck. Later I replaced the Tone Zone with the Breed bridge. It gave the guitar a fat midrange coupled with a weighty low end and enough definition in the high end. In addition the Breed is not fizzy in this guitar, which came as a pleasant surprise since I had it in a strat before where it had a bit of that slight fizz on top of the notes. Not in this guitar. Its output was not much less compared to the Tone Zone. It cleans up well enough so the hot output is not a problem in any way.

I like it better than the Air Norton in the neck position so I hope that somebody is going to post something about the Breed neck when used in the neck position.

Cheers Stephan
I'm confused; are you asking how the Bridge Bridge model would work in the neck, or how the Breed Neck model compares to the Air Norton in the neck position of a bright guitar?
If the latter; the Breed Neck sounds wider (more warm low-end), but also more jangly up top.
Got preference? ;)

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 04:08:34 AM »
The latter. You have answered the right question. Many thanks, this is really useful.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline bluediamond

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2014, 01:45:35 AM »
Would the breed neck in bridge sounds good on a basswood guitar w/brass trem block?
Some people describe it as hotter PAF pro, which gets me really interested. I plan to pair it with a HFH in the neck.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2017, 04:44:48 AM »
Friday night I replaced the Steve Morse neck with a Breed neck in a partscaster dual humbucker tele with poplar body and maple neck/rosewood board. I kept the Steve Morse bridge in the bridge spot and the existing wiring.

Right off the bat the Breed neck is louder, punchier, fatter and more touch sensitive than the Steve Morse it replaced. Not that the Steve Morse neck sounded bad, but I like the Breed neck better for my playing style, and output wise it is also a better match to the high output Steve Morse bridge model. I also removed the three screws under the 4th, 5th and 6th strings from the neck side coil to make it tighter. While it does not achieve the tightness of some lower output pickups modified in the same way, it is sufficient, and the singing high notes are out of this world.

Thanks to slugworth for pointing me to this pickup.

Cheers Stephan

Offline corypheus

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2017, 10:53:07 AM »
That was some thread ressurection!

I don't gel well with Breed neck in the neck, it's almost too warm and smooth. However, it's excellent in the bridge position with something like Air Norton in the neck. More people should really try it because it produces a really good sound.

It's like the Duncan Distortion neck, years ago I tried it in the bridge, was blown away by articulation and crunch, then I was told by Skopp that it was originally named Seymourizer and used in the bridge.
Breed neck should really be marketed as a unique pickup (like Paf PRO) that works for both position.

Cory

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2017, 05:56:02 AM »
Incidently I first tried it in the bridge position but did not like it much there - could have been the guitar though.

Cheers Stephan

Offline mertay

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2018, 08:55:17 AM »
A guitarist named mrs. smith (amazing player with funny concept) uses there and gets great vai tones out of a digital-tiny vox amp boosted with a ds1.

Led me to believe this PU really shines when boosted with a dist. pedal (the ds1 cuts lots of low end too, usually modified to change that), then doesn't become overly fat but cutting yet still full sounding compared to a pafpro.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2021, 02:55:02 AM »
Incidently I first tried it in the bridge position but did not like it much there - could have been the guitar though.

It was indeed the guitar. Further experiments with the Breed neck in the bridge yielded results which were much more pleasant to my ears.

Offline Guitar74

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2021, 03:39:07 PM »
 Before it was made a special order only pickup, Blucher recommended the Breed neck for the bridge position based on me wanting something that would split well, do more than one thing, and do it without a lot of output. It doesn't surprise me based on what I have heard from you and others as well.

I tried a friend's Gibson Les Paul Standard with a Breed set and thought that the bridge was just dead sounding in his guitar. It just sounded lifeless in his Les Paul. I played a couple of chords and handed it back to him with what I am sure was a very disappointed look on my face. To me, the Breed bridge can have drastically different results depending on wood combinations.

If you're having one of those days where everyone is on your case and is just getting on your nerves, it's probably not everyone else

Offline Audiowonderland

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2021, 02:18:42 PM »
They are special order now? I still have a set of Breeds I have never installed.....  :)