Author Topic: Dimarzio and YJM no more?  (Read 29366 times)

Offline cayle_6

• View Profile
Dimarzio and YJM no more?
« on: November 10, 2009, 08:14:06 pm »
Yngwie is no longer with Dimarzio.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=129906

apparently, the YJM branded Dimarzio products were renamed.

what do you guys think?

Offline Jerryman

• View Profile
Re: Dimarzio and YJM no more?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 10:43:41 pm »
Yngwie is no longer with Dimarzio.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=129906

apparently, the YJM branded Dimarzio products were renamed.

what do you guys think?

I think your a little late to the dance   ;D
but its an interesting topic. maybe someone can ad something that hasnt already been said. Yngwies one of the few true living guitar Legends, so like him or don't, he always generates interest.
As of yet, as Budd Stated, nothing definitive has   been  revealed, so anything at this point is pure speculation.
Conflict of interest due to a new Corporate sponsorship?, disagreement in terms Between Dimarzio and Yngwie?
 Possibly only  one person really knows, and that person is Yngwie J. Malmsteen.
The Norton won't tame anything.  A fantastic pickup, it will make your LP sound like a wild mongoose who is piloting a F-22 raptor and smoking crystal meth

Offline mi2tom

• I love playing guitar :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 12:53:06 am »
Maybe even yngwie don't know, maybe his agent knows ;) hahahaha

Offline Whitmore

• This is MADNESS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 03:13:58 am »
Maybe even yngwie don't know, maybe his agent knows ;) hahahaha
His donut manager would have been the first one to know.
Grammar Nazi says:
NEVER USE AN APOSTROPHE FOR PLURALISING " ' ", NORMAL "s" IS FINE!

Offline Mail2JackButler

• Dimarzio Endorsee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 09:47:44 am »
At this point if I had to make a guess.. given Yng's high profile within Fender.. (his strat is the biggest selling sig model they have worldwide!).. I'd guess that Fender probably extended an offer to him to expand his line of sig gear to include pickups and other accesory items. I would imagine its purely business motivated. Like Vai, Wylde and others.. he probably sees action off the backend of every guitar sold..so if the same courtesy was afford to him to put his name on an entire line of sig stuff.. he'd be crazy not to take it..
Granted, unlike most guys from his era.. he's been smart with his money and is extremely  financially stable.. but the guy does have a wife and now, children and their future to consider as well.
How much money is enough?.. we all know the answer.. just one more dollar! lol..
"Intelli-Shred" & "Arpeggio Madness" books  available from NGW!
www.guitarworkshop.com/books/guitarbooks/rock/intellishreddillar
DiMarzio Endorsed Artist: Kevin Dillard. Soundclips available at
www.dimarzio.com
www.myspace.com/intellishred
Morley Endorsee
http://www.morleypedals.com/fom.html

Offline FeinMusic

• View Profile
    • The Spines
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 10:14:21 am »
Very well put Kevin!
Don't tease the octopus, boys and girls!

Offline Echad

• Are you Metal?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 10:20:04 am »
One of the points why his signature Fender sells so good is because it's one of the rare guitars that comes with scalloped fretboard from factory, the Blackmore Strat is the only other one I know. And other features aren't bad... Especially compared with other Fender signature models. If only it had a real vibrato unit, instead of that junk... That, and a living legend thing. People still manufacture Jimi Hendrix strings, so...

They can still make OEM pickups for his models, right? He can sponsor Fender pickups, made by DiMarzio for Fender. And he can play anything he wants on stage, pickup swap is barely noticeable. And in studio... Just not in the ads.

Offline FeinMusic

• View Profile
    • The Spines
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 10:45:22 am »
The Eric Johnson strat is pretty cool

Offline Whitmore

• This is MADNESS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 03:09:07 pm »
Say what you will. We all know he won't be ripping his DiMarzio's out of his Duck. He wont drastically mess with his number one any time soon.
Grammar Nazi says:
NEVER USE AN APOSTROPHE FOR PLURALISING " ' ", NORMAL "s" IS FINE!

Offline Mail2JackButler

• Dimarzio Endorsee
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 03:01:02 pm »
DiMarzio has done OEM pups for Fender AND Ibanez.. matter of fact the original "Slammer" pup that came in the late 70s Hamers where DiMarzios built to Hamer's specs too.. DiMarzio just did an entire line of pups special to a run of Japanese made Fenders..
The Super 3 was originally the pup made for Fender's HM STRAT model's bridge. It was a last minute rush job just have something in the bridge of a prototype and they wound up loving it.
So DiMarzio could very easily wind something up for Fender OEM and make it exclusive to those Fender models only.. they've done this for YEARS for EBMM.. The main reason EBMM went with DiMarzio was that DiMarzio was the only pup maker who would make a pup for EBMM and let them have exclusives on it and make it only available as original spec on a certain model guitar and NOT offer it to the public for sale.   
"Intelli-Shred" & "Arpeggio Madness" books  available from NGW!
www.guitarworkshop.com/books/guitarbooks/rock/intellishreddillar
DiMarzio Endorsed Artist: Kevin Dillard. Soundclips available at
www.dimarzio.com
www.myspace.com/intellishred
Morley Endorsee
http://www.morleypedals.com/fom.html

Offline Echad

• Are you Metal?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 04:54:45 pm »

How? I don't see any useful features... But I am more concerned about lack of Floyd Rose on the Dave Murray Strat. He isn't even using these pickups anymore! If anyone wants to get an Iron Maiden axe, he's better off getting an Adrian Smith Jackson, or upgrading a regular Stratocaster with a Floyd and some decent pickups.

Offline FeinMusic

• View Profile
    • The Spines
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 05:56:03 pm »
It's ridiculously comfortable

Offline CityofBlindingLights

• *Site Supporter*
  • Global Moderator
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 06:09:18 pm »
DiMarzio has done OEM pups for Fender AND Ibanez.. matter of fact the original "Slammer" pup that came in the late 70s Hamers where DiMarzios built to Hamer's specs too.. DiMarzio just did an entire line of pups special to a run of Japanese made Fenders..
The Super 3 was originally the pup made for Fender's HM STRAT model's bridge. It was a last minute rush job just have something in the bridge of a prototype and they wound up loving it.
So DiMarzio could very easily wind something up for Fender OEM and make it exclusive to those Fender models only.. they've done this for YEARS for EBMM.. The main reason EBMM went with DiMarzio was that DiMarzio was the only pup maker who would make a pup for EBMM and let them have exclusives on it and make it only available as original spec on a certain model guitar and NOT offer it to the public for sale.   

Very well put, and thank you for bringing up these points, I was just about to ;D

Although, I don't see how if DiMarzio were making OEMs for Yngwie's new strat, that this would necessitate a break from his DiMarzio sponsorship.

How? I don't see any useful features... But I am more concerned about lack of Floyd Rose on the Dave Murray Strat. He isn't even using these pickups anymore! If anyone wants to get an Iron Maiden axe, he's better off getting an Adrian Smith Jackson, or upgrading a regular Stratocaster with a Floyd and some decent pickups.

You've obviously never played an Eric Johnson Strat. They're easily the best stock non-vintage strats I've ever played. And I've played a LOT of strats.

-As FeinMusic suggested, they are INCREDIBLY comfortable. The body has deeper contours, based off of the '57 strats. Fender deepened the contours for this year, and most feel these are the most comfortable strats (part of the reason why '57s are so sought after). As a side note, in the early '60s they started reducing the depth of the contours, particularly after the sale to CBS (who tried to cut production costs as much as they could to maximize profit).
-The neck is based off of a '57 as well, once again also considered the most comfortable neck design by many. It's a soft V shape that fits perfectly in your hand.
 -The trem block has four springs, and while this may seem arbitrary, oddly enough Eric's strange tone reasoning works; it's more vibrant than any other spring configuration I've worked with, and is still very spongy like a classic strat trem.
-He also had the paint in the trem block removed, which allows for freer vibration of the body (and yeah, this does make a difference tonally).
-Sperzel locking tuners allow for reduction of string slippage and proper break angle over the headstock to remove the string tree, which allows for freer vibration
-These guitars are painted in Nitrocellulose Laquer, which allows the guitar's body to breathe and resonate more freely.
-The pickups are custom-wound at Fender (hence EJ's break with DiMarzio) and are based directly off of three of his favorite pickups: a '57 for the neck, a '63 for the middle, and a '61 for the bridge. *side note: I wonder where DiMarzio got the idea for their Area pickups...
-12" radius. It makes a hell of a lot more difference on a strat than you'd think.
-2nd tone pot wired to the bridge pickup: allows you to roll off some of the highs on the bridge pickup, which makes it much more versatile and usable. And if you REALLY want to drive, it fattens up very nicely.

As you probably know, EJ's also a tone nut, so I'm sure he has a very large say in Fender's quality control with these guitars. And they are all great; every one I've played has been impeccable.

Far from a stock strat imho. Not worth what Fender's charging these days, but if I had the $$$ I would easily dish out the money.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 08:18:08 pm by CityofBlindingLights »

Offline wxs3

• Embrace the Madness, The Madness is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 06:50:22 pm »

Although, I don't see how if DiMarzio were making OEMs for Yngwie's new strat, that this would necessitate a break from his DiMarzio sponsorship.

I remember seeing YJM Strats selling around $1300 plus.  They are currently selling around $2,000 plus.  Not having access to new "Yngwie" pickups just drives the cost of the guitar up, look at the new EVH guitar!  Yngwie has done basically the same thing EVH has done except Yngwie has stayed with Fender which MAY drive the cost up and over the current EVH model.  Just my 2 cents.   :madness:
My first aftermarket pickup was a Super Distortion back in the 70's.  I strayed and tried Rio Grandes, Duncans, and EMGs only to come back to Dimarzio.  Funny were life takes you.

Offline Women/ChildrenFirst

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 07:10:42 pm »

How? I don't see any useful features...

Go play one, they are phenominal, a really really great guitar.

btw what did you mean when you said a real vibrato unit?
This confuses me...