your first guitar idol?

• 49 Replies

joelmo

Re: your first guitar idol?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 03:10:53 PM »
well once i shut up a bunch of grown ups playing some crappy latin pop song, with greg howes come and get it. 8)

Offline Jerryman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 10:45:46 PM »
in the folowing order;
Hendrix, Page, Clapton, Beck, Townshend,
Van Halen was always a wanker compared to them. Not to diminish his skill at all, but at the end of the day he doesnt make the top 5.
The Norton won't tame anything.  A fantastic pickup, it will make your LP sound like a wild mongoose who is piloting a F-22 raptor and smoking crystal meth

Offline CityofBlindingLights

• *Site Supporter*
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 02:18:21 AM »
in the folowing order;
Hendrix, Page, Clapton, Beck, Townshend,
Van Halen was always a wanker compared to them. Not to diminish his skill at all, but at the end of the day he doesnt make the top 5.

+1, especially Beck and Townshend. Heavily underappreciated guys.

Offline Mail2JackButler

• Dimarzio Endorsee
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2009, 02:03:29 PM »
Easy.. Hendrix.. Blackmoore and Ace Frehley.. discovered all three like in the same day back when I was six years old.
"Intelli-Shred" & "Arpeggio Madness" books  available from NGW!
www.guitarworkshop.com/books/guitarbooks/rock/intellishreddillar
DiMarzio Endorsed Artist: Kevin Dillard. Soundclips available at
www.dimarzio.com
www.myspace.com/intellishred
Morley Endorsee
http://www.morleypedals.com/fom.html

Offline 5150

• -=VH=-
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2009, 07:39:19 PM »
Hendrix and then Van Halen. I'm HEAVILY into Van Halen.

Shereen

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2009, 03:17:52 AM »
SRV for sure. it'll always be SRV.
Pat Metheny, Mike Stern,

Offline LuredMaul

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2009, 07:04:51 AM »
I have always loved Music but it wasn't until I saw Dokkens "Alone Again" on MTV. I didn't have cable at home *boo hoo*

Anyway, George Lynch and still to this day George out does them all for me. I don't care for him live much though mostly just the Dokken years.
It was truly a dream come true when I opened for them during there Dysfunctional tour in St. Louis.

RichRoger

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 09:40:10 AM »
Yngwie Malmsteen

eggsbenny

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2009, 12:51:59 AM »
Wow, all of you guys are into Vaughn, Vai, Satriani, Hendrix and such, and now I feel like an outcast. My First guitar Idol was Dickey Betts of all people. Him, as well as Duane Allman were my first guitar idols.

alfaromeo90

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2009, 02:36:09 AM »
Dickey Betts and Duane Allman are great guitarists.  In terms of pickups Betts is a great example of the Pearly Gates PAF, and Allman of vintage (by today's standards underwound) PAFs. 

• *Site Supporter*
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2009, 04:19:05 AM »
Wow, all of you guys are into Vaughn, Vai, Satriani, Hendrix and such, and now I feel like an outcast. My First guitar Idol was Dickey Betts of all people. Him, as well as Duane Allman were my first guitar idols.

Apparently you missed my post ;D

Dickey Betts and Duane Allman are great guitarists.  In terms of pickups Betts is a great example of the Pearly Gates PAF, and Allman of vintage (by today's standards underwound) PAFs. 

Duane Allman? Yeah. Dickey Betts? f*ck no. I've seen him live, he sucks balls. That or he was tripping balls...

eggsbenny

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2009, 11:15:02 PM »
Okay I should probably say that at this point I am much more into the current Allman Brothers Lineup. This was awhile ago that I was a real fan of Dickey, back when I was still just learning most of the basics. Nowadays I'm particularly a fan of Derek Trucks Slide playing, and Warrens voice is damn good, and makes a neat contrast with Gregg.

Apparently you missed my post ;D
I suppose I did. Sorry about that.
Duane Allman? Yeah. Dickey Betts? f*ck no. I've seen him live, he sucks balls. That or he was tripping balls...
Tripping balls... Now lets recall the Brothers Logo eh  :P . Did you see him with the Brothers or with Great Southern? As for Duane, he had a hell of a rep for a guy who died at 24 :madness:.

soundgardener75

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2009, 12:35:26 PM »
I was listening to music pretty much around 5 years old, that would be 1980, music had been playing everywhere around the house.

When I started, I was a big fan of Mick Mars and Dave Mustaine. Their sense of rhythm still lingers on to this day.

But it wasn't until Kurt Cobain came into the scene. I almost gave up playing guitar. He somewhat showed me to just love playing music. And that still goes on to this day.

bzzdog

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2010, 02:20:28 AM »
before playing- mitch mitchell (i didnt really listen to the guitar so much. always the drums. still my fav drummer).
after starting- kirk hammett then a year later satch and now five years later shawn lane

• *Site Supporter*
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2010, 07:01:45 PM »
Heck yes to Mick Mars!

And also, no love here for George Harrison?