DimarzioForum.Com > The mini bar (off topic & misc)

your first guitar idol?

<< < (2/10) > >>

alfaromeo90:
thanks, i think it's interesting to look back on your first idols and try to figure out what initially attracted you to guitar.  If you find that your playing is in a rut or gone down a path you no longer like, it's an interesting exercise to go back to your first idols or pre-playing idols and try to get a bit of their playing or tone.  Kind of like a new start.

buddroyce:
Ahh yes.. the guitar idols. My first idol wasn't Hendrix or Page, but rather it was actually Yngwie Malmsteen, he was actually the person to get me to start playing guitar. Believe it or not, I actually started working in a guitar shop before I even knew a thing about guitars or even had any interest in them. Back before downloading movies was even feasible popular over a decade ago we used to have a VHS demo tape of a whole bunch of guitar instructional videos and I would just watch them while I was working on guitars (yes I was working on guitars before I knew how to properly hold one). One of the videos we demo'd was actually Yngwie's Young Guitar videos and after seeing him demo his tunes and break down his technique a couple million times, it started to grow on me and I just had to get a guitar to play. From then on it went to your typical shred guys as well as guys like Mattias Eklundh, Michael Romeo and  Bumblefoot (before his GnR days....waaaaay before..).

Oddly enough I never had a keen interest in the more mainstream idols like Hendrix, Page, Frusciante or Slash, but that's probably because when you work in a guitar store BEFORE you start digging the music, you start to hate all the stuff all the teenagers that come to the store liked and ended up gravitating towards the heavier stuff some of the older guys were into.

CityofBlindingLights:

--- Quote from: alfaromeo90 on September 18, 2009, 03:55:50 PM ---thanks, i think it's interesting to look back on your first idols and try to figure out what initially attracted you to guitar.  If you find that your playing is in a rut or gone down a path you no longer like, it's an interesting exercise to go back to your first idols or pre-playing idols and try to get a bit of their playing or tone.  Kind of like a new start.

--- End quote ---

I've done that numerous times, I find it very refreshing. It's like turning a new page. When I first started weaning myself off of Vai and heavier onto my older favorites, I realized what made Vai's music sound sterile to me, and why I dug what I used to, and still dig now.

alfaromeo90:
Yes, i went back to two music vids which had me in awe before i played - Frusciante, RHCP "Suck my kiss" and Stevie Ray Vaughan "Supersition" live (Stevie Wonder cover).  I worked out that it was the raw tones and the reckless ferocity in the way they were playing.  By contrast I had become very precise and considered and my tones too processed.

Budd - i bet you can't stomach 'Stairway to Heaven' or 'Sweet Child o mine'  still to this day! :)

CityofBlindingLights:

--- Quote from: alfaromeo90 on September 20, 2009, 08:31:04 PM ---Yes, i went back to two music vids which had me in awe before i played - Frusciante, RHCP "Suck my kiss" and Stevie Ray Vaughan "Supersition" live (Stevie Wonder cover).  I worked out that it was the raw tones and the reckless ferocity in the way they were playing.  By contrast I had become very precise and considered and my tones too processed.

Budd - i bet you can't stomach 'Stairway to Heaven' or 'Sweet Child o mine'  still to this day! :)

--- End quote ---

Shit man, I can't stomach "Stairway" or "Sweet Child O' Mine"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version