your first guitar idol?

• 49 Replies

bzzdog

Re: your first guitar idol?
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2010, 09:20:03 PM »
Heck yes to Mick Mars!

And also, no love here for George Harrison?

much much love. he`s just idol, though, for me. not guitar idol. vividly remember waking up and hearing he died. was driving to school after that but pulled off into the woods and parked and just listened to george all day...

Offline damonstewart70

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2010, 11:54:41 PM »
HENDRIX! As an african american male from N.Y.C I went to F.K.lane high school in queens(at that time very ethnicaly diversed).Italians,Irish,Black,puerto rican,Dominican,Oriental.My parents always taught us that people r all one & to respect other peoples culture.I always loved rock music as well as celtic,spanish,indian(eastern) as well as the r&b & rap that was prevelant in new york in the 70's & 80's.Not only did I like big jims playing he taught me an important lesson...Freedom!From there it went to metallica(before black album),slayer,megadeth,living colour,bad brains,muddy waters& mountain.When i seen crossroads oh my god!,I love satch vai,gilbert,timmons I love every guitar player.Currently I have a fascination with LESLIE WEST!,his tone is MASSIVE,when he plays it sounds like an explosion.Rock & roll FOREVER

dennichristianthegreate

your first guitar idol
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2011, 04:55:41 AM »
I remember hearing this for the first time a few years ago when it was the background music for Kevins website...and I remember thinking to myself "yep, this confirms it: what happened to 3EB was that Kevin left".  Fucking awesome song, both this screaming guitar part as well as the full song.

Guido Aschieri

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2011, 10:24:20 PM »
Angus Young. Now the spot is share between Petrucci, Vai, Hackett and Fripp

Fendercrazy

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2013, 04:51:13 PM »
My older brother.  He got his first Les Paul in the Late 70’s.  I was only 5 or 6 at the time but all I wanted at that point was an electric guitar.  First famous guitar hero was Ace Frehley. 

Justin Read

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2013, 01:38:49 AM »
Steve Morse, Nuno Bettencourt, Al DiMeola, Tommy Emmanuel and Vernon Reid were my first insights/influences in the art of guitar when I was a wee 13 years old.

Offline wxs3

• Embrace the Madness, The Madness is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2013, 09:48:20 AM »
Hendrix, Randy Rhoads, Eddie, Yngwie, Frank Zappa  way too many influences.
My first aftermarket pickup was a Super Distortion back in the 70's.  I strayed and tried Rio Grandes, Duncans, and EMGs only to come back to Dimarzio.  Funny were life takes you.

Offline tonejam

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2013, 09:04:23 AM »
One of my very first, maybe my first guitar idol. Django Reinhardt. He was under-rated on electric.....listen to "Night and Day", from his last album, 1953. He was be-bopping with the best of the jazz guys.
On a different tack.........Danny Gatton!

iPood

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2013, 11:58:23 PM »
Steve Stevens during the Rebel Yell era.

will_1400

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2014, 11:02:48 AM »
Randy Rhoads is the man who inspired me to pick up a guitar for the first time. Not too shabby for a guy who died six years before I was born. "Crazy Train" came on the radio one day and it got my attention enough to snag my first Ozzy album (one of his greatest hits compilations). When I heard "Mr. Crowley" for the first time, I was sold on learning guitar (to this day, Mr. Crowley is my favorite song to play).

Aside from Randy, other early influences on my playing are Glen Buxton and Michael Bruce from the early days of Alice Cooper, Toni Iommi, and Ritchie Blackmore. More recently, I've taken to Jon Schaffer, Dave Mustaine, and Scott Ian for my rhythms while I've been looking at Kai Hansen and Al Pitrelli for ideas on how to shape up my leads (when I get the chops, that is. I'm still mostly a rhythm guy).

Now I know they're not guitar idols, but I also sometimes find inspiration in Miles Davis and John Coltrane whenever I feel like a change of pace.

Lewguitar

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2014, 07:46:28 PM »
I'm getting pretty old.

It was Elvis Presley.

Saw him on the Ed Sullivan Show and I was strumming a broom the next day.

No kidding.

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2014, 11:52:00 AM »
My first guitar heros were Eric Clapton, Rory Gallagher and Michael Schenker. Johnny Winter, Dickey Betts and Duane Allman followed after I got into guitar more seriously.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2014, 03:28:07 AM »
Howdy,

Keef.

Offline harmonics

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2014, 05:14:47 AM »
i would say hendrix and clapton 86
paf joe