DimarzioForum.Com > Gear Closet

Compression?

(1/7) > >>

FeinMusic:
How do you guys feel about it?  I'm looking for that extra sustain but most pedals reem way over the top with the dynamic squashing.  Call me old fashioned but I like the gratification of beating the tar out of my strings and hearing the pick attack.  Anyone care to share their experiences?  Perhaps someone can suggest a more subtle compression pedal or an alterative pedal for sustain.  Also does anyone have experience using limiter pedals?  Thank you!

mi2tom:
I hate it to the max, compressor gives you sustain but takes away your picking dynamics. And I can't live without picking dynamics. I heard some people  says it helps your picking technique though.

CityofBlindingLights:

--- Quote from: FeinMusic on August 08, 2009, 11:31:20 AM ---How do you guys feel about it?  I'm looking for that extra sustain but most pedals reem way over the top with the dynamic squashing.  Call me old fashioned but I like the gratification of beating the tar out of my strings and hearing the pick attack.  Anyone care to share their experiences?  Perhaps someone can suggest a more subtle compression pedal or an alterative pedal for sustain.  Also does anyone have experience using limiter pedals?  Thank you!

--- End quote ---

I'm actually not a big fan of compression, I'm with you there.

kareemb0:
Most pedal compressors are terrible, that's the problem.

There's only one compact pedal compressor that I bet you will ALL love.

It's the Carl Martin Compressor. It does magic for cleans.

buddroyce:
Compressors really kill pick dynamics. However, if you want to increase your sustain there are other ways to do it. It just depends on the type of guitar you're using. If it's a hard tail les paul, the only thing you can do is upgrade the hardware to lighter and more resonant parts. If your guitar has a trem you can always install a larger brass block or something like an esp arming adjuster. Adding more springs also helps the tone as you're transferring more energy to the body.

Lowering your pickups a bit also helps as it cuts back on the magnetic pull, but if you already have an airbucker or something with low magnet pull to begin with then it doesn't matter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version