Author Topic: Amp question  (Read 9306 times)

Offline ou812

• View Profile
Amp question
« on: October 27, 2007, 01:14:35 pm »
A guy in a guitar shop is arguing with me about how an amps tone controls work.  I've always understood it that you start with your tone controls at 5(middle) and then adjust accordingly. This guy is telling me that it's better to start at zero and then tweak it, but which way is right??

Offline tomago

• View Profile
Re: Amp question
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 11:34:03 am »
I just start in the middle and krank or cut as I feel like it.

Offline krak_down69

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 12:05:52 pm »
I don't really start anywhere. I just turn the knobs based on where they were and tweak the tone to how I want it to sound.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 12:55:34 pm »
Unless an amp has an active EQ, the tone controls in an amps tone stack are passive and basically only act as filters so they only work in a cut mode. So if you really want to know how your amp sounds like, crank the tone controls on your amp (you know, turn 'em all to 11) and then cut the tone to how you want it to sound. So technically, you SHOULD start with your amp's tone controls cranked and then cut but most people I find start at 5 and then cut/boost as they want.

I believe most people do it this way because they think that at 5, the tone is flat (but it really isn't)
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline damn_yankee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 01:17:33 pm »
Interesting.. I never knew that. I'll have to crank everything out on my amp to see how it's really supposed to sound like.

Offline tomago

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 08:46:38 am »
Unless an amp has an active EQ, the tone controls in an amps tone stack are passive and basically only act as filters so they only work in a cut mode. So if you really want to know how your amp sounds like, crank the tone controls on your amp (you know, turn 'em all to 11) and then cut the tone to how you want it to sound. So technically, you SHOULD start with your amp's tone controls cranked and then cut but most people I find start at 5 and then cut/boost as they want.

I believe most people do it this way because they think that at 5, the tone is flat (but it really isn't)

So basically you're saying that I should crank out the tone on my amp and then cut?? But what if I want more bottom end?

Offline LHC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 09:00:57 pm »
Cut the mid and High while leaving the bass up.
Ibanez S470 (Fred & PAF Pro)
Jackson Profesional (SD Trembucker Distortion)
Digitech GSP2101
Mesa Boogie Fifty/Fifty
Marshal Lead 1960

Offline megadrive

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 12:24:36 pm »
I never knew that. So basically if I crank my tone controls all the way up, that's how my amp is supposed to sound like??

Offline purple_voodoo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 06:45:34 pm »
I never knew that. So basically if I crank my tone controls all the way up, that's how my amp is supposed to sound like??

You got that right bro.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 06:52:08 pm »
Interesting story that I got from Bruce Egnater when I went to his amp building seminar was that Bruce was actually once called out to take a look at SRV's rig. SRV's guitar tech said that SRV's was complaining that his tone was too muddy and all the controls were kranked right up. Bruce turned down the bass setting before SRV's tech whacked a chord and said "YES!! THAT'S IT!!, but can you make it sound like that with the bass turned right up?"

Needless to say, being the amp guru that Bruce was, he went and modded SRV's main amp so that when the bass was kranked to 10, it was really only at 7 or 8. What I'm trying to get at with this story is that sometimes it's good to cut back on your EQ and that sometimes there is such thing as too much bass, but kranking all your tone controls is a great place to start tweaking from.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline RyKR

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 06:53:02 pm »
There are some amps that if you set all of the tone to zero it will kill all of the volume.

Offline 5150

• -=VH=-
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 06:59:41 pm »
There are some amps that if you set all of the tone to zero it will kill all of the volume.

Which would be a good reason not to tweak your tone starting from zero ;)

Offline RyKR

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 09:03:02 am »

Which would be a good reason not to tweak your tone starting from zero ;)

Agreed. LOL!

Offline h2eau

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 11:25:26 am »
A guy in a guitar shop is arguing with me about how an amps tone controls work.  I've always understood it that you start with your tone controls at 5(middle) and then adjust accordingly. This guy is telling me that it's better to start at zero and then tweak it, but which way is right??

Offline h2eau

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2007, 11:29:20 am »
I don't recall where I read this but someone said to start in a "flat" configuration set highs to 0, mids all the way up, and low to 0. 
This did seem to give the most neutral tone on my Reverberocket 212.  That seems like a good place to start experimenting.