Donation

Author Topic: Ibanez Infinity Pickups opinions  (Read 33705 times)

Offline Tom63

• My Red Special.
    • View Profile
Ibanez Infinity Pickups opinions
« on: June 21, 2009, 10:21:34 am »
Just wanted to hear your opinions of the Ibanez Infinity pickups. I have an RG350DX which has the INF3, INFS3 and INF4 pickups in it. Do you think they are based on or at least similar to some DiMarzios? (I wouldn't know 'cause i don't have any DiMarzios...yet!)

I find them pretty good, and I think they're definitely quite high output but i have found them to be sometimes without soul and a bit harsh on some amp settings (Got a Vox AD50VT), especially on the JCM800 model, which I had expected to be perfect for me but sounds horrible and without enough drive.

Also I find the Single coil and coil split positions to lack that stratty sparkle, why do you think this is?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 10:23:15 am by Tom63 »
"Sometimes I feel like I'm becoming a prisoner of my own hair!" -Brian May

Offline Tom63

• My Red Special.
    • View Profile
Re: Ibanez Infinity Pickups opinions
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 10:47:24 am »
I also think the Neck bucker is too muddy though that might be the height setup any advice, on neck pickup heights? DiMarzio's advice is just to match it to the bridge in terms of volume but i'm looking for some more detailed advice. By the way are most of the users in this forum from the States? Because if that's the case then I forgive you for not replying to my posts immediately (hang on a minute, I really shouldn't expect that anyway!)  I'm in England and it's nearly four in the afternoon here instead of nearly midday in the States, damn time zones, world would descend into anarchy without them though.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 12:06:50 pm by Tom63 »

Offline CityofBlindingLights

• *Site Supporter*
  • Global Moderator
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 12:41:54 pm »
Heh, chill man, there are times when we'll be logging on every twenty minutes, and there are times where I can go a good 36 hours without logging on. But sooner or later, we will get to your questions ;D ;D ;D

The INF pickups are okay, but when you install DiMarzios it's like night and day. When you get yourself some $$$ and a soldering iron, you'll be VERY surprised to hear the difference.

Pickup heights, in my experience, are one of THE finnickiest things when it comes to adjusting. You REALLY have to tinker, for at least a good week or two, but when you find the right height for you, you'll know. There is a certain range where your pickup will sound optimal for your playing, you'll end up finding it.

Offline dr. ad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 02:08:30 pm »
the ibanez INF pickups have nothing to do with dimarzio; there are some IBZ/dimarzios in some models that are made in the DMZ factory, but the infinite pickups certainly aren't them.  check evilbay out, i just bought a set off there

i've played a set of INFs and thought they sounded terrible, they have a rep for being pretty crap from everything i've heard.

Offline IbanezShredderBJ

• I shred 6s and 7s.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 03:26:56 pm »
I have the same setup in my RG4EXQM1. The INF pups are decent once you find the right settings on your amp, and effects. I'm definitely changing  them soon though once I get my paycheck in.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321FMBBS Fixed Bridge 7-String
Ibanez RG4EXQM1 in Blue
Custom Ibanez IJX40
Line 6 Spider III 15
Ibanez GTA15R (Out Of Commission)
BOSS DS-1
DigiTech Grunge
DigiTech RP250 (Now with a non-working expression pedal, FAIL).

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 10:00:55 pm »
The INF pickups are cheap offshore manufactured pickups. They use fairly weak magnets and sound pretty bland to begin with. If you really want to make the most out of the pickup you could raise the pickup for a tad bit more output. Raise the screw poles equally across all the poles on one of the screw coils to get a tad bit more top end (I know it's supposed to be there to equalitze the output of each string but it also does alter the tone a tad as well).

You can also add more ferrous material to the bottom the pickup. I remember back in the day some guys used to put small metal plates under their pickups to get a hotter sound.

In all honesty though, you could probably ask to see if someone has a used set of DiMarzios that you could buy for dirt cheap. Something like a Tone Zone, Paf Pro or Super Distortion would be a HUGE improvement on your tone.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline mi2tom

• I love playing guitar :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 10:05:33 pm »
The INF aren't that bad actually like city but wait till you try out dimarzios.

Offline CityofBlindingLights

• *Site Supporter*
  • Global Moderator
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 11:21:09 pm »
The INF aren't that bad actually like city but wait till you try out dimarzios.

Heh, I agree. The INFs are okay at best, but once you try DiMarzios, it's like WOAH.

Offline Tom63

• My Red Special.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 09:36:39 am »
In which case i think I definitely will buy myself some dimarzio's although I'd want to get a good deal. What do you think is the best way to get them in the UK? I asked my local guitar shop (Electro Music) and they said they could order them and fit them, but the price for all of that was like 150 or more. So I would like somewhere with better prices if possible.

I think i want a tone zone, true velvet and air norton unless there's anything better you would suggest. I'm a bit undecided to be honest over whether this is the best set up for me.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 09:39:48 am by Tom63 »

Offline dr. ad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 11:40:25 am »
In which case i think I definitely will buy myself some dimarzio's although I'd want to get a good deal. What do you think is the best way to get them in the UK? I asked my local guitar shop (Electro Music) and they said they could order them and fit them, but the price for all of that was like 150 or more. So I would like somewhere with better prices if possible.

I think i want a tone zone, true velvet and air norton unless there's anything better you would suggest. I'm a bit undecided to be honest over whether this is the best set up for me.

look for used ones on the forum, or <cough> e(vil)bay... those ones do come up...