Donation

Author Topic: Evo 2  (Read 19062 times)

CSharp

Re: Evo 2
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 03:07:26 pm »
Looks like its come down to it, the Suhr Doug Aldrich, and maybe an Anderson HN3. I gotta hit some music stores.

Offline oilpit

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 08:09:52 pm »
People say that the Evo 2 is just an Evolution with the VV mod done to it...

but it also has a lower DCR, leading me to believe that it may be a different wind (or just a Evo bridge with a few less turns)

Evolution Bridge: 13.84k
Evo 2: 12.81

Offline CityofBlindingLights

• *Site Supporter*
  • Global Moderator
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 11:17:19 pm »

but it also has a lower DCR, leading me to believe that it may be a different wind (or just a Evo bridge with a few less turns)

It is a different wind. Whitmore actually did the VV mod on an Evolution Bridge model, and claimed it was brighter and a touch hotter than the original. Do a forum search.

Offline Whitmore

• This is MADNESS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 12:12:53 am »

It is a different wind. Whitmore actually did the VV mod on an Evolution Bridge model, and claimed it was brighter and a touch hotter than the original. Do a forum search.

http://www.dimarzioforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=2172.msg17718#msg17718

For your pleasure.  :P

Grammar Nazi says:
NEVER USE AN APOSTROPHE FOR PLURALISING " ' ", NORMAL "s" IS FINE!

Offline LuredMaul

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2010, 12:13:30 pm »
Evo2 has more crunch than the Evo.
Evo is clear and cutting with an almost strat quality.

Offline BeckerRomeo92

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 02:34:19 pm »
For what I've read and research, Evo 2 is an Evolution with the Virtual Vintage technology PLUS less power in the magnet, less DC resistance and the frequency response is different. That makes Evo 2 a little warmer and more articulate than the original Evolution

Offline Whitmore

• This is MADNESS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2010, 07:39:40 am »
For what I've read and research, Evo 2 is an Evolution with the Virtual Vintage technology PLUS less power in the magnet, less DC resistance and the frequency response is different. That makes Evo 2 a little warmer and more articulate than the original Evolution

While true, the BULK of the change in tone comes from the VV procedure.
Grammar Nazi says:
NEVER USE AN APOSTROPHE FOR PLURALISING " ' ", NORMAL "s" IS FINE!

Offline oilpit

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010, 03:58:35 pm »
Would the Evo 2 be too bright for a maple bodied guitar?

Reason I ask is I really want to get an Evo neck, but I'm having a hard time finding a bridge pickup that will work with it besides the Evo/Evo 2. I figure the original Evo is out of the question, but is the Evo 2? Due to the bright nature of both the guitar and the Evo 2, I'm worried that I'll end up with icepick.

Any word?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 04:02:11 pm by oilpit »

Offline LuredMaul

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2010, 11:50:59 pm »
you need a Breed Bridge to fill in the maple

Offline oilpit

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2010, 02:25:20 pm »
I actually did some research and the guitar I am looking at is made of a wood made of "silver leaf maple" which according to my research, sounds very similar to mahogany.

So I think I'm gonna go for the Evo2/Evo set, and if my research is wrong, I'll swap em for some breeds.

Offline ibanez_boss

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2010, 10:14:33 pm »
yea lured - that clip sounds awesome -- i use a tone zone and now i dig the sound of the evo2 ---- maybe i will adopt :madness:

Offline bluediamond

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2012, 01:07:53 pm »
tried the evo2.. sounds muddy imo.
it does clean up much better, and the treble is more friendly, but I prefer original evo's fast attack and clarity..

Update :
It was my amp's fault.. basically the evo2's bass response is quite unique.. it's not big like the tone zone, and not boomy either, but compared to original evo, there's thump/sludge in the low-low frequency (like 50-90hz), that translate through my blackstar HT5's 10 inch speaker as muddy, sluggish sound, much like if you turn your guitar's tone control down low.
Through my new gear, POD HD pro through 15' monitor it sounds godly! It's heavy sounding for metal, with aggressive high-mid/pick attack.. amazing lead tone and harmonics jump out whenever I bend/vibrate.. my only gripe is that it doesn't sound nearly as sweet & soothing as tone zone on any low-med gain preset.. I guess it's ceramic doing it's job!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 01:27:45 pm by bluediamond »

Offline slugworth

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 09:34:35 am »
I just recently got around to trying this pickup.  I can't believe it has taken me so long!  This pickup is everything I love about the Super Distortion and the Crunch Lab put together, plus it is far more versatile than either of those.  Rolling off the volume opens up a whole new world.  And it's got a warmer, juicier sound than any other ceramic mag pickup I can think of that REALLY comes through on cleans and low gain, as well as on runs up the neck.

Totally agree with the "rock singer vibe" and "crunchy" comments.  If a Super Distortion sings like Sammy Hagar, then this pickup sings like Robert Plant and Aretha Franklin -- so incredibly soulful on a dirty (but not "high gain") Marshall.  The way that notes decay is so incredibly complex, organic, and beautiful.  And it's got that same crunch thing going on as the Crunch Lab.

This pickup is a metal machine, and SO much more. 

I could see how someone totally accustomed to the original Evolution might find this pickup to be muddy, because it is not as cutting.  I keep comparing it to the Super D and Crunch Lab -- it is right in between those two in terms of dynamic response (and plenty of people think the Super D is muddy).  It does benefit from a bright edge from the amp and proper height/pole adjustment, but I did not find it hard to dial in.  In fact, for me it's just clear enough to hear every note on big, fat, insane gain chords, but not so much as to be eardrum-piercing in any way.

With the growl, the rich warmth, the balls, all the crazy harmonics you'd expect from a high output Dimarzio, and incredible versatility, in my book the Evo2 is one of Dimarzio's very best.  It costs a little more than other Dimarzios, and doesn't show up used very often, but it's totally worth it IMO.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 09:38:49 am by slugworth »
DIMARZIO MODELS CURRENTLY OR PREVIOUSLY OWNED: 68 TOTAL

Offline mi2tom

• I love playing guitar :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2012, 10:08:26 pm »
Still a very cutting pickup even though the highs are a bit rounded, it was in everybody's face when I play live and while I enjoy it haha it annoys the bandmates that I've played with, we're doing top 40s songs. I missed playing with my progressive metal band though where it shines.

Offline JackGriffiths

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 07:01:34 pm »
I'm really keen on giving this pickup a try in Mahogany. I'm after something bright, tight, cutting and with a powerful, crunchy upper midrange. My amp is pretty low-mid heavy, so I'm after clarity. The Evo sounds more like what I'm after but I've heard it doesn't clean up well at all and I'm after dynamics in this pickup, too. I'm concerned that because of the presence cut, the Evo 2 could be too dark in Mahogany? Any opinions?