Author Topic: Steve Vai's f*cked up guitar neck!!  (Read 8304 times)

Offline LHC

• View Profile
Re: Steve Vai's f*cked up guitar neck!!
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 08:17:14 pm »
All I know is that I am never happy with the G string, it seems to be always ever so slightly out of tune. I might try Bud's method and see if that helps.
Ibanez S470 (Fred & PAF Pro)
Jackson Profesional (SD Trembucker Distortion)
Digitech GSP2101
Mesa Boogie Fifty/Fifty
Marshal Lead 1960

Offline custom24

• PRS addict for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2007, 06:07:34 pm »
How much sharper do you tune the top strings and how much flatter the low strings??

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2007, 06:51:04 pm »
that's an interesting trick there, budd...
i'll have to try that out.

i've always liked the low E a little flat so that the G on the third fret is not too sharp.

I've also read somewhere that EddieVH used to tune his B string a little off (don't remember if it was flat or sharp)

I thought I told you about this the last time I flew over to Calgary and worked on one of your guitars? I don't know about Eddie Van Halen, but we all know how much of an an*l Tone Freak Eric Johnson is, but I'm guessing that EVH also tuned his b string a little sharp. Try tuning it maybe 3-5 cents sharp and bang away at a D, G and A chord to see if it sounds more intune.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2007, 06:58:48 pm »
How much sharper do you tune the top strings and how much flatter the low strings??

Honestly.. I don't know.  The exact numbers because it depends on the string thickness(I'd offset a set of 9's different than a set of 10's). I personally use a hybrid set of 9-46 ernie balls and I usually tune my guitars with the following offsets(thank god for floyd rose fine tuners!! I finally found a use for 'em!)

high e: +3-5 cents
b: +3 cents
G: +1-2cents
D: 0
A: -3-5 cents
Low E: -5-7 cents

I usually just aim for that and adjust accordingly. Anything more than 10 cents either way makes it sound just out of tune and there's a lot of trial and error involved. But hey.. if something like that is good enough for Eric Johnson, it must mean something right? Try it out and let me know your results.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter