The Cruiser Bridge Model

• 18 Replies

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: The Cruiser Bridge Model
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 07:37:20 AM »
Just scored one on the bay and replaced the Bluesbucker in my telecaster (bridge pickup is a Chopper T). Not only because of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldxzTZFgEKg

but also because I got increasingly tired of the Bluesbucker in the neck. I am just not a real fan of full size humbuckers in the neck. Even though it is one of the least muddy humbuckers around it still does not have the tight low end that a P90 or a strat style single coil can offer. Of couse I had it set up so that I could split it but then it loses the humcancelling effect.

Basically I have nothing to add to Budd's excellent review - the Cruiser does all that and does it really well. It is however much lower output than the Chopper T so I had to back the Chopper T off quite a bit (it was quite close to the strings before to match the Bluesbucker's output in series humbucking mode). Now I got it set where the volume between both pickups is balanced with the Chopper T in parallel mode so I can have a boost when in series mode. 

The tone cap right now is a 0.0047uf. This works well for the Cruiser and for the Chopper T in parallel. For the Chopper T in series mode it's a bit too much but not bad. We'll see what I will come up with to resolve that :)

Cheers Stephan
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 07:39:46 AM by darkbluemurder »
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline KH Guitar Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 10:35:41 PM »
I've tried one recently. ZOMG! Sexy tones to be had in the neck position. Could play some neat jazzy stuff on it  8)

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2015, 05:02:37 AM »
I have now set up a different tele with a Chopper T in the bridge, a Cruiser neck in the middle and a Cruiser bridge in the neck. I have not yet foreseen the option to select the parallel mode on the Chopper T but that is soon to follow. The tonal results for the bridge and neck pickups are as I already described. I also like the bridge + middle position but the bridge + neck and middle + neck positions have room for improvement. I expect that the bridge + neck improves with the parallel option on the bridge pickup, and I don't really use the middle + neck combo much.

BTW I used a 500k volume and a 250k tone pot. 0.0022uf on the bridge, 0.0068uf on all other combinations.

Cheers Stephan
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2015, 02:46:50 AM »
Meanwhile I changed the tone cap on the neck and middle from 0.0068uf to 0.0047uf, and I like that much better. Very juicy tones now coming from the neck pickup.