Evolution Neck

• 20 Replies

Offline CityofBlindingLights

• *Site Supporter*
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
Evolution Neck
« on: June 02, 2009, 07:06:19 PM »
Fat, hot, warm, punchy, and harmonic-friendly. Sound familiar? It's the Evolution neck pickup. Steve Vai's signature neck pickup, it's meant to give a decent jolt of power when needed, but is also rather dynamic for a ceramic pickup and sounds great rolled back, especially with 250k pots to tame it up. Calibrated to match up with its hot brother, the Evolution bridge (another thread...), the Evolution neck is a great pickup overall.

If you want to hear it in action, listen to pretty much any Vai album Fire Garden and afterwards, or go to your local guitar shop and play a JEM7VWH, they come standard.

Offline mi2tom

• I love playing guitar :D
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution Neck
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 01:44:13 AM »
My favourite neck pickup to date, IMO it's a rather hotter version of paf pro although the evolution neck measures at 294mv while the paf pro at 300mv but the evo neck is much hotter than the paf pro, most probably because of the ceramic magnet. It's aggresive and definitely bitey for a neck pickup and it's not muddy at all. I think IMO the evo neck suits well with Evo2 rather than the original evolution bridge. And the evo neck is a versatile neck pickup as well.

Offline LuredMaul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 11:34:56 PM »
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 11:50:43 PM by LuredMaul »

Offline mi2tom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 01:48:05 AM »
I wonder if you can make a clip of evo neck with the lead towards the bridge.

Offline LuredMaul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 02:03:33 AM »
I can....might be alittle while.

Offline mi2tom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 02:47:27 AM »
I can....might be alittle while.
Alright, I just wanna know if it's more bity than it normally is. I emailed dimarzio they say there's no difference, the same thing as air norton but my air norton is flipped ;)

Offline LuredMaul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 04:13:17 AM »
Most humbuckers are symmetrical and their sound does not change at all when installed backwards, but some have a slightly different sound if you install them in the opposite direction from normal. It’s not a matter of right or wrong, but a matter of taste for such a subtle difference, if you can hear the difference at all. Those models include the Air Norton™, Air Zone™, Evolution® neck, bridge and 7-string, FRED®, Humbucker from Hell™, DLX Plus™ neck and bridge models, Virtual P-90™, Blaze™ neck and bridge models and Tone Zone 7™.

The Steve’s Special™, the Bluesbucker® and the MegaDrive™ have distinctly different sounds if you turn them around, and there is no ‘right’ installation direction. The Bluesbucker® is brighter-sounding with the adjustable screw coil towards the bridge, while the MegaDrive™ is brighter-sounding with the adjustable screw coil towards the neck. The Steve’s Special™ is brighter-sounding if the coil on the pickup’s cable exit side is toward the bridge.

Offline mi2tom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 04:29:57 AM »
Yeah, I just read that FAQ just now. But the air norton do have difference.

Offline LuredMaul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 04:35:13 AM »
 include the Air Norton™, Air Zone™, Evolution® neck, bridge and 7-string, FRED®, Humbucker from Hell™, DLX Plus™ neck and bridge models, Virtual P-90™, Blaze™ neck and bridge models and Tone Zone 7™. <------these all sound different but only slightly and some will hear it and some won't. I can tell the difference. I'll make up the clip for you in the next few days or sooner

Offline mi2tom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 04:53:21 AM »
include the Air Norton™, Air Zone™, Evolution® neck, bridge and 7-string, FRED®, Humbucker from Hell™, DLX Plus™ neck and bridge models, Virtual P-90™, Blaze™ neck and bridge models and Tone Zone 7™. <------these all sound different but only slightly and some will hear it and some won't. I can tell the difference. I'll make up the clip for you in the next few days or sooner

That's what I'm trying to say, that's why  I install my air norton backwards. I just wanna know how the evo neck sounded flipped.

Offline CityofBlindingLights

• *Site Supporter*
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 01:58:55 PM »
LuredMaul, it has to do with which coil senses the string at what distance from the node. Please see the dimarzioforum FAQ regarding dual resonance technology. All dual resonance pickups should sound different when installed backwards.

Offline LuredMaul

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 02:01:45 PM »
I understand this; I was merely pointing out that there IS a difference thought he didn't understand.

Offline mi2tom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 10:34:54 PM »
You try emailing steve and see, he'll tell you there's no difference at all, he'll say that all dual resonance pickup will sound the same except for D sonic and certain other pickup. Or maybe he's got too many to reply that he doesn't have time to explain.

Offline buddroyce

• *Fake VIP*
  • Administrator
  • Founder
    • View Profile
    • BRL Guitarworks
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 10:56:33 PM »
You try emailing steve and see, he'll tell you there's no difference at all, he'll say that all dual resonance pickup will sound the same except for D sonic and certain other pickup. Or maybe he's got too many to reply that he doesn't have time to explain.

It's likely that he means that there isn't a big enough difference to be called different sounding. The D-sonic for example has a completely different sound if flipped backwards. The Air Norton and other Dual Resonance pickups will still sound more or less the same with some minor variations like a tad bit brighter but not drastically different like a whole lot brighter if you flip it.
Founder - DiMarzioForum.Com
Follow me on Twitter

Offline LuredMaul

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 11:38:55 PM »

It's likely that he means that there isn't a big enough difference to be called different sounding. The D-sonic for example has a completely different sound if flipped backwards. The Air Norton and other Dual Resonance pickups will still sound more or less the same with some minor variations like a tad bit brighter but not drastically different like a whole lot brighter if you flip it.

This is true