DimarzioForum.Com > Everything you wanted to know about ....

The Bluesbucker

(1/8) > >>

CityofBlindingLights:
A highly overlooked pickup, the Bluesbucker is imho one of DiMarzio's best pickups. It's meant to sound like a P90 that looks and fits into a rout for a humbucker, and it does its job beautifully. Oh yeah, and it's fully hum-cancelling.

Where the Bluesbucker REALLY shines though is when it is tapped. Since the screw coil is activated whenever this pickup is tapped, it also sounds really neat when installed backwards, in either neck or bridge orientation; it almost sounds Tele-like.

buddroyce:
I would like to add that in addition to being a great pickup for vintagey tones, it also handles lighter modern rock tones quite well as well as working extremely well under high gain as a neck pickup.

Running the Bluesbucker in parallel yields a tone that's somewhere in between a P90 and a true single coil, which is actually quite nice!

slugworth:
Some thoughts about Bluesbucker in the neck...

I don't have extensive experience with P90's but I have played my share.  Bluesbucker to me sounds like a sweet, delicious P90.  Maybe not quite as gritty as some.  In parallel it sounds a *LOT* like position 4 or 5 in a strat and is quite a bit brighter than in series.  This pickup is very sensitive and responsive to volume and tone adjustments, even more so in parallel.  And coil tapped is in the telecaster realm.

If you are considering a Duncan P-Rails, then you should also consider a Bluesbucker.  I have a P-Rails in the neck of one guitar, set up for switching between series, parallel, P90, and single coil.  If you set up the Bluesbucker to switch between series, parallel, and single coil, it definitely covers the same ground as the P-Rails, with the only exception being the full series humbucker mode of the P-Rails.  The P-Rails is a hot, beefy humbucker with a considerable amount more balls than I would have expected.  But if you can do without the humbucker balls, then Bluesbucker is the ticket.

I think the Bluesbucker just sounds sweeter than the P-Rails, though.  I know that's a completely subjective thing, but I don't know how else to put it.  If you're one of those guys who doesn't believe that volume and tone knobs are necessary, then either the Bluesbucker will teach you that they ARE, or you will probably not be crazy about it.  Also, personally speaking, having a Bluesbucker in the neck completely solves my previous need for a strat, because it will do absolutely everything I'd want (and more) from a strat. 

jkrguitar:
I'm very excited about the bluesbucker....I'm trying to find a place that has it in stock.  I'll post a good review here when I get her up and running.

jkrguitar:
Ok that being said, here's an updated review of the Bluesbucker.

Ok, the cleans are killer.  Pos 2(split) is very very stratty, and pos 1 is very neck single with a touch more mids and chunk and power....in a very good way. Has some of the quack and thonk, with some of that greasy single coil stuff in the mix....Since it is more focused it makes the bass more controllable.  The amount it has is perfect.

Have to say it does what they say it does.  I would say it sounds more single than p90 but with more power.  Which is a good thing.  It gets nasty but still refined when you dig in and can sweeten nicely when you soften your attack.....

I still have the screws towards the neck.  This pickup is staying.....you want neck shred....It does it.  you can really hear how it's more focused...since I tweaked my setup(previous post).....I'm totally stoked with the stratty sounds it brings to my ibby.  This pickup is a definitely keeper.

Still amazed how much the copper effected the tone of my instrument.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version