The Air Norton

• 47 Replies

Offline darkbluemurder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: The Air Norton
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2019, 10:29:04 AM »
A few days ago I put mine which I had lying around in the bridge spot of a HSS stratocaster. Middle is an Area 58, Neck an Area 67, 250k volume, 500k tone with 0.0015uf just for the bridge, 250k tone with 0.0022uf for everything else. The AN replaced a Virtual PAF bridge.

I slightly prefer the AN in this guitar. The guitar is quite bright so the slight increase in output and midrange over the VPAF is welcome but it is a close call. Both are fine pickups in that application. Where I noticed a definitive improvement with the AN is the combination with the middle pickup which was a bit too bright before. Now it is just right.

I had an AN in the bridge position of a different strat a few years ago (I converted that one to SSS) and I really liked it there as well. It definitely likes loads much below 500k - 250k to 350k is the sweet range to my ears.

Cheers Stephan

EDIT: The VHPAF I thought I had turned out to be a VPAF bridge.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 03:08:23 AM by darkbluemurder »
Area 67, Area 58, Area 61, VV Pro 54, Injectors, VV HB2, Virtual Solo, SDS-1, Area T, Area Hot T, Area T 615, Virtual Hot T, Chopper T, Bluesbucker, Breed set, Air Norton, Super Distortion, DLX+ set, DLX-90, DP240, DP198, DP168, VPAF b, AT-1, Mo' Joe, FRED, Super 2; GS b

Offline mertay

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2019, 03:09:40 PM »
Went to a guitar store recently to try out some ibby's for a friend, I kept asking myself why doesn't my (20 something year old) AN sound like these newer stuff.

Long story short, my AN came with the unpolished side facing the PU and when flipped to the polished side the sound was there. I hear on my guitar the high E strings highs are more rounded and towards the low-E it really brightens up, a bit of a problem with OD pedals since they cut the low-end...

So its tilted a bit more than usual toward the low-e to get enough bass. Adjusting PU height from a DI input of soundcard is likely unconventional but a very detailed way to sort these problems.

Offline Bucksears

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2019, 10:36:33 AM »
I have an Ibanez Artist AR2000, which has a thinner mahogany body with a flame maple top. Thinner than a LP, but thicker than an Ibanez S-series.
I've got an F-spaced Norton lying around, and was thinking about putting that in the AR2000 bridge, and maybe a regular-spaced Air Norton for the neck.

As stupid as this probably sounds, do those two pair well together in that bridge/neck config?