The Air Norton

• 47 Replies

Offline CityofBlindingLights

• *Site Supporter*
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
Re: The Air Norton
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 06:11:02 PM »
In theory... err... you could, but why (even half) air it when you can have a perfectly good Norton?

Offline FeinMusic

• View Profile
    • The Spines
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 07:07:30 PM »
For my own personal interest?  Lately I'm finding the Norton to be vaguely too rude despite the lovely clarity
Don't tease the octopus, boys and girls!

• *Site Supporter*
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2009, 11:34:29 PM »
Yeah, then that'd work.

If you find the Norton too rude, ever considered a FRED?

I don't have anything against the Air Norton, it's just another suggestion...

Offline LuredMaul

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 12:45:51 AM »
Bridge position  ;D

Offline FeinMusic

• View Profile
    • The Spines
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 01:02:31 AM »
If I split an Air Norton and an Air Zone and had both running together maybe I can create an Air Fred :madness:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 02:16:18 AM by CityofBlindingLights »
Don't tease the octopus, boys and girls!

• *Site Supporter*
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2009, 02:17:06 AM »
If I split an Air Norton and an Air Zone and had both running together maybe I can create an Air Fred :madness:

zOMFG

Or, you could route out another pickup slot in the middle of the two, airbucker a FRED (interesting thought...), and put that in the middle.

Imagine what'd happen if you combine THAT with Air Norton/Air Zone...

Offline LuredMaul

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2009, 03:11:35 AM »
the Fred "lite" as they called it in the 90's was a smkin pickup.

They came in Frank Gambale model Ibanez I believe

• *Site Supporter*
  • THIS IS MADNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2009, 02:08:39 PM »
the Fred "lite" as they called it in the 90's was a smkin pickup.

They came in Frank Gambale model Ibanez I believe

Yep, there's a post of it somewhere around here, along with the PAF Pro lite

AllDimarzio

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2009, 03:58:21 PM »
I know there are many reviews here but this pup deserves yet another. I have this pickup in an RG and in my Gibson Explorer. I love how fat and smooth this pickup is. I play classic metal, rock, blues, instrumental, and the pup does each well. One of the coolest things about the pickup is how well it splits into single coil mode. I get close to a strat sound from my Gibson making it very versitile.

I liked the split so much that I split the 36th Ann Paf in the neck of my Gibson V. I did not get the same results. The volume drop on the 36th Paf is way to much and the tone is nowhere near as good as the Air Norton's split sound. I'm considering putting an Air Norton in the neck of the V as well.

Air Norton gets a great high gain lead tone or Fat old school Gibson tones. Can't say enough about the pup; if you like smooth, fat, and sweet, it's a great pup, split it and get a great single coil tone as well. 

ACH91332

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2013, 07:39:17 PM »
For anyone whos interested in putting the Air Norton in the bridge..

Ive used the Norton exclusively in the bridge position of my guitars for awhile now but lately Ive wanted a slightly brighter and more dynamic Norton.. Normally I pair the Norton with a Bluesbucker in my HH guitars but running a new HS guitar with an Injector bridge model in the neck I realised I needed a lower output pickup to match the Injector with. Finally I decided to try the Air Norton and so far Im impressed. It sounds just like my Nortons but has better dynamics and lower output. Since I can put the Air Norton closer to the string then my Nortons it does sound a bit brighter and a bit meaner. Also it seems like the bottom end is less spongey (not that it was ever an issue) than my Nortons.

Like I said Im impressed. If you like the Norton and wished it matched with singles better then Id try out the Air Norton in the bridge.

Offline slugworth

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 08:28:14 AM »
It's rumored that Buckethead used a atypical setup of an Air Norton in the bridge and Tone Zone in the neck for at least the period around 2005-2007.  Most of his high gain riffs came out of bridge+middle, but he used the bridge alone when he wanted to back off a bit.

I believe it.
DIMARZIO MODELS CURRENTLY OR PREVIOUSLY OWNED: 68 TOTAL

ACH91332

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2013, 06:37:38 PM »
No offense but that sounds like a horrible combo. That TZ has to be muddy as hell and way louder then the AN lol. But then again Buckethead was never someone who's tone I felt inspired me. He's a great player but his tone is definitely odd.

Offline Jerryman

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2013, 08:26:24 PM »
I know there are many reviews here but this pup deserves yet another. I have this pickup in an RG and in my Gibson Explorer. I love how fat and smooth this pickup is. I play classic metal, rock, blues, instrumental, and the pup does each well. One of the coolest things about the pickup is how well it splits into single coil mode. I get close to a strat sound from my Gibson making it very versitile.

I liked the split so much that I split the 36th Ann Paf in the neck of my Gibson V. I did not get the same results. The volume drop on the 36th Paf is way to much and the tone is nowhere near as good as the Air Norton's split sound. I'm considering putting an Air Norton in the neck of the V as well.

Air Norton gets a great high gain lead tone or Fat old school Gibson tones. Can't say enough about the pup; if you like smooth, fat, and sweet, it's a great pup, split it and get a great single coil tone as well.

This is extremely encouraging! On paper, I chose the Air Norton to fatten up the bridge of my cheap Squire Start ( yes, I have lots of Strats, and some expensive ones), and my main concern is that it still be able to perform blues/Blues based Rock.' Rude' is okay for that 'ol skool nasty blues sound for my application.
I had tried a 36th Annv., but it didn't fill out the guitar, although to be fair, I had 250K pots, so I'm going to fatten the highs of the Air Norton with 250K tone and 500K volume.
I also am going change out the overwound Van Zandt blues  I have in the neck and switch in a Fat Start pickup in the neck.
This and a swap to a Rosewood neck ought to add some thickness to the sound I hope.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 08:28:24 PM by jerryjg »
The Norton won't tame anything.  A fantastic pickup, it will make your LP sound like a wild mongoose who is piloting a F-22 raptor and smoking crystal meth

Offline damonstewart70

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2013, 08:25:09 AM »
Hey guys!!! Been a long time,I absolutely LOVE the air norton.Installed in my ibz eg with a TONE ZONE in the bridge the AIR NORTON ALWAYS gives me PUNCH & DEFINITIONSINGLE coil &  parallel add TONS OF VERSATILITY when playing with various degrees of distortion & helps me CUT THRU a live mix!!! Peace brothers

With Full Distortion

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2013, 10:12:33 AM »
I tried it in the bridge, but its the AIR NORTON 7. and i felt it too clean when used with distortion AND well, not for Metal and extreme metal. AKA Death and technical . it looses the Punch one needs to play metal in the bridge position.
But in the neck its awesome. i would ONLY add 1 or 2 points UP in the HIghs , cause for me it needs it a bit MORE. and i would preffer it to DIGGEST the distortion MORE and interact to it, instead of sucking it into a clean sustainless tone .
i have the air norton 7 in the bridge but i was using it in the neck. and its going to get back to the neck position or ill sell it. i tried it in both positions .i sensed a slight difference.

New Discovery (for me anyway) GREAT bridge pickup for Mahogany. I liked this better than Evo2 or my trusty Air Zone.

http://www.dimarzioforum.com/user_uploads/luredmaul/AirNortonBridgeMahogany.mp3